No announcement yet.

Rigo's contact situation is undeniable PROOF that Al Haymon is GOOD for Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
    All you have to do is look at his teammate Erislandy Lara. He was the B-side to a PPV and is making millions in easy fights. The sanctioning bodies, the media and the networks can't **** with him because Haymon has them by the balls.

Every once in a blue moon, you get a celebrity fighter that can sell himself and become a box office hit. For the other 99.9% of fighters on this planet, all they know is boxing and they fight to put food on the table. These guys need a power player like Haymon to keep them active and get them network dates.

Anyone that is involved with young fighters and attends these amateur tournaments knows that you see these creepy leeches I'm the audience looking to pounce in these young amateurs and profit off of them. These youngins don't have a pot to piss in and are desperate so they flock to these leeches and end up in these abusive long term contracts that kill their careers. Your darling GGG was in this EXACT same position and that's why he didn't hit the mainstream until he hit his early 30s.

Al Haymon prevents fighters from signing these abusive promotional contracts and has enough power to force networks to get them on television and get them paid. This is the main reason why this PBC movement needs to succeed for the better of the sport.
    Good for boxers is different than good for boxing. He is definitely good for boxers, nobody will deny that. For how long his model is sustainable is debatable.

I haven't caught a PBC card in ages, because they are scattered over to many networks and at random times and days.

That isn't good for boxing.

If it was just one chanel, on saturdays, that would be good for boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
      Martinez took a chance and won his next fight will obviously make him more money
      Thank haymon for giving him. A shot
      didnt give me a shot, Aron took it. big difference, "give a shot" is what he does for broner. get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR RIOS! View Post
        didnt give me a shot, Aron took it. big difference, "give a shot" is what he does for broner. get it right.
        Haymon did give him A shot idiot. Haymon chooses what fighters fight on pbc. And he choose martinez

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
          How on earth can you argue that boxers getting paid lots to fight mismatches is good for boxing?

Its great for the boxers

But they only end up demanding ridiculous money for decent fights, and they seldom take place. On top of that, you'll see fighters shifting away to Haymon to avoid good fights, to get paid to fight mismatches.

If this policy of 1 ok fight inbetween 3 or 4 mismatches is going to continue, then it will backfire. No matter who is doing it. Arum seems content doing it to Lomachenko, Haymon is doing it with Garcia, Quillin, Wilder, Stevenson, Lara, LSC. I get the horrible feeling that matches like Quillin-Jacobs and LSC-Mares are the best we can expect. Look at the welterweight division for another joke, he has nearly all of the top 10 apart from the top 3. How can you defend that?
          Lee, mismatch, Jacobs

Quillin has had as tough a schedule as anyone

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
            since the pbc was formed lara hasn't been able to get any good fights that he wants and only is fighting easy fights with the lowest ratings on spike, etc. He is getting paid good but clearly his fights in particular are hurting the sport because no one is watching on tv or buying tickets
            Lara already beat Trout. J Rock and the Charlos need to beat Trout before they get to Lara. Lara is just staying busy until one of these young guys separates himself from the pack.

Comment

You people always make it appear as if it's an across the board thing. Only his top fighters get the kind of money they're getting. The Salka counterparts get crumbs.

Haymon is good for his top fighters. Not boxing. Constant mismatched fights are a plague in boxing. It's free doe.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                Lee, mismatch, Jacobs

Quillin has had as tough a schedule as anyone
                N'Jikam, no hoper, 21-6 Rosado, no hoper, vacates title then fights Lee, no hoper, Jacobs which is a solid B level fight

Sure his scenario isnt as severe as say Loma or LSC, but thats barely a 'tough a schedule as anyone'. Put it this way, it makes GGG's recent run at MW look decent and that takes some doing.

But you didnt reply to any other part of my post, I assume you agree then?

Comment

Originally posted by JQside View Post
                  You people always make it appear as if it's an across the board thing. Only his top fighters get the kind of money they're getting. The Salka counterparts get crumbs.

Haymon is good for his top fighters. Not boxing. Constant mismatched fights are a plague in boxing. It's free doe.
                  Or like Miguel Vazquez, they sign away their belt at a McDonalds

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                    Good for boxers is different than good for boxing. He is definitely good for boxers, nobody will deny that. For how long his model is sustainable is debatable.

I haven't caught a PBC card in ages, because they are scattered over to many networks and at random times and days.

That isn't good for boxing.

If it was just one chanel, on saturdays, that would be good for boxing.
                    That's unrealistic. You can't have 300 fighters one channel.

And besides.....

Nothing has changed.....

Boxing was in FS1 then.....it is now
                    Boxing was on ESPN then....it is now
                    Boxing was on NBC Sports then....it is now

The only difference is these fights now have the PBC brand. On top of that...these fights wouldn't even BE ON TV but for Haymon:

Dirrell vs DeGale
                    Huck vs Glowacki
                    Fonfara vs Cleverly

If you live in the US you would have to watch those fights on a crappy box nation stream.

Haymon keeps his guys active and on TV. Fighters being active and televised is good for both fans and boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                      N'Jikam, no hoper, 21-6 Rosado, no hoper, vacates title then fights Lee, no hoper, Jacobs which is a solid B level fight

Sure his scenario isnt as severe as say Loma or LSC, but thats barely a 'tough a schedule as anyone'. Put it this way, it makes GGG's recent run at MW look decent and that takes some doing.

But you didnt reply to any other part of my post, I assume you agree then?
                      I don't know of I agree yet because PBC has only been ongoing for one year. I don't want to confuse power moves to screw GBP and Top Rank with his actual vision of what direction he wants to take this venture.

This year... He's matched his fighters as well as any other promoter. I'll take 1 stay busy fight in between 2 championship level fights which is what Quillin did this year. And you all know I absolutely hate Quillin but he stepped up this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X