No announcement yet.

I'm right handed but feel more comfortable shadowboxing southpaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm right handed but feel more comfortable shadowboxing southpaw

How common is this. Ok I'll admit I've never boxed or sparred in my life, but when I try shadowboxing, my natural inclination is to use the southpaw stance. Could this be due to my left footedness? I'm left footed as a soccer player but right handed. Anyone else right handed and feel more natural in the southpaw stance.

This isn't very common but I do know of a couple of lads who are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by itsafight View Post
      How common is this. Ok I'll admit I've never boxed or sparred in my life, but when I try shadowboxing, my natural inclination is to use the southpaw stance. Could this be due to my left footedness? I'm left footed as a soccer player but right handed. Anyone else right handed and feel more natural in the southpaw stance.
      Left handed people are somehow more "elusive" in the ring, I guess partly because their liver is at the front. Also, instead of a jab, they have to constantly worry abouth the right hand of the opponent. As a converted southpaw, you are in much more danger than you think

Comment

I'm right handed and I box southpaw. I feel way more comfortable as southpaw movement wise. I don't really remember exactly how I ended up boxing southpaw but I think it was for much of the same reasons you're mentioning.

If you're going to do it...you HAVE to commit to developing your left hand and USING it. That is the tough part. But it's necessary if you're going to be decent as a convert.

Comment

Originally posted by itsafight View Post

Its not uncommon. I always felt more at ease leading with the right hand whilst being right handed. But once opponents sus out that your straight left is no harder than your right jab, you're in for trouble.

I think the reason some right handed folks feel happy leading with the right can be traced back to competences at other sports. For example, it would be difficult to teach a right handed youngster to fight orthodox if they were also a competent fencer/swordsman (and thus were used to a lead right hand and footwork based on that stance).

In my case I came to boxing after getting to a passable high school standard of table tennis. Perhaps a tendency to lead with the right came from that!?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            Its not uncommon. I always felt more at ease leading with the right hand whilst being right handed. But once opponents sus out that your straight left is no harder than your right jab, you're in for trouble.
            I agree that you need to develop your left to make it respected...although this theory is debatable. Even if a person knows your left is weak, they're still probably not going to just be able to walk through you because they have to get by your lead hand, your strongest hand. Because my dominant hand is forward, I can throw a pretty powerful jab that is hard enough to get most guys off of me. Don't even think about walking through my right hook...

There are pros and cons....but all in all...I think having your dominant hand up front can be a great strategy.

Comment

whatever feels most comfortable while sparring or throwing punches, is what your stance should be. that's the bottom line

Comment

Working...
              X