Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haymons plan good or bad 4 fans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bulk of his time slots are NBC sports not NBC and yes there is a difference didn't you see the Main Events shows they had a certain budget per card most were mismatches but there were some quality fights.

This is Haymon after all he's got this far with the same gameplan what makes anyone think he's going to switch it up now... Show me don't tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      don't know much about haymon but he's not good for boxing or fans.

good for his boxers sure.

remember when hbo was real crappy a few years back? that was haymon with gbp.

same time showtime had some great ass fights.

everyone was saying sho was kicking hbo ass.

then hbo fired their boxing guy.

hbo re-did everything. haymon moved his guys to showtime.

showtime has been awful. hbo got better.

networks need to buy fights. good ones.

not buy stables without control of who those guys fight.

remember when all the FOTY were on sho? that's when they were buying individual fights not contracts with promoters.
      correct.

so haymon is not good for "boxing".

good for his fighters? definitely in terms of money they're earning which, in business, is the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
        So i was reading a little about Al Haymon last night and the nbc deal and the rumor is that his plans are to to bring real and big fights to free tv and get rid of ppv (which i dont see happening). I was thinkin at first it didnt make sense but then i got to thinking if this really was his plan he could completely cave GBP and Top Rank you got to think if hes doing free shows im guessing the ufc model somewhat and the rating start to soar and new fans come you would think more and more and more fighters will goto haymon. My guess is he will end up using mayweather promotions as the promoter. It would make sense why arum and oscar are working together and both bad mouthing haymon and also the richard shaefer drama it all actually makes sense. Not to mention you can almost tell haymon is saving the biggest fights for when he makes the move to nbc. Now i also read some fighters will stay at showtime so his nbc deal could be nothing more then what they are doing now with fox sports 1. But there is no doubt the industry is scared that haymon has a plan in the works to completely take over boxing. Now think about it obviously haymon is mostly considered bad for the sport as far as a fan perspective, but just for a minute think if he was able to monopolize the sport and keep taking all the good young fighters bury top rank and gbp as far as real competition for young popular fighters then i could see a ufc type thing with haymon working and growing the sport more then we have seen in decades. You got to think if he has everyone it no longer makes sense to baby them but to actually have them all fight eachother which i think hes just waiting for nbc to do. I just find it fascinating that haymon could actually be the best thing that happened to boxing in disguise of the villain and it just seems to me like oscar and bob are working together not to end the cold war like the pretend maybe a fight here or there but the real reason is because they are worried about what haymon is going to do. I dont know i just find it intriguing that we may of had haymon all wrong and he may actually make the sport better when all is said and done. Maybe its a dream but having all big name fighters under one banner who is willing to work with everyone but top rank anyway is a great thing for fans at least. Fighters not so much. Im sure this opens a pandoras box as most people cant stand the guy but im just playing devils advocate here curious what your guys thoughts are on a haymon led ufc type boxing world. Please keep mayweather and pac man bickering out of the thread, thanks
        Ever heard of a paragraph?

Comment

I agree with wiz1030, Haymon's going towards a digital platform fueled by subscription fees, and you will pay more for ppv events on top of that (as the UFC is doing).

His NBC deal is essentially setup the same as infomercials. That's his time to do whatever he wants to hock his product. We might see some big fights on there like Quillin vs Taylor, but more meaningful fights will go where the money's at. Wilder vs Steiverne already went to Showtime after it was rumored to be ment for the NBC kick-off.

It really a high risk situation for Haymon to make this move. If he breaks away from the premium networks he'll have no financial safety net. If he puts out alot of crappy fights and ratings/subscriptions drop, good luck paying the bills. And if he stops working with all the other big money promoters like TR, GB, and now Roc Nation, he's going to run out of interesting fights. Not to mention those companies can pull away new fighters.

How enthused will you be to pay to watch the Haymon league if it's completely separated from the rest of the sport?

Comment

Originally posted by RyunosukeRonin View Post
            The bulk of his time slots are NBC sports not NBC and yes there is a difference didn't you see the Main Events shows they had a certain budget per card most were mismatches but there were some quality fights.

This is Haymon after all he's got this far with the same gameplan what makes anyone think he's going to switch it up now... Show me don't tell me.
            That had to do with Main Events roster. Curtis Stevens and Steve Cunningham there biggest draws. Kovalev was on HBO.

Guys like Julian Williams and Errol Spence will probably be on the NBC Sports cards. Charlos, Matthysse, Santa Cruz, Ortiz, Berto I can see them on the big NBC cards That's only if Haymon still has his fighters on Showtime.

Comment

i have a feeling (also hoping) GBP gets back all their fighters.

what schaeffer/haymon did was illegal.

purposely let fighters contracts expire so gbp spent the time and money developing fighters they didn't have under contract.

really shady stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                boxing doesn't work on network tv.

the unpredictable length of fights is one. plus demographics of fans is not desirable. i.e. male and old
                It worked pretty well in the UK. I don't see unpredictable length of fights as a real deal-breaker, just put filler fights in with guys who are ready to go at that time.

I do think Haymon will find a way to mess it up though, his financial self-interest usually trumps everything leaving the fans frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
                  That had to do with Main Events roster. Curtis Stevens and Steve Cunningham there biggest draws. Kovalev was on HBO.

Guys like Julian Williams and Errol Spence will probably be on the NBC Sports cards. Charlos, Matthysse, Santa Cruz, Ortiz, Berto I can see them on the big NBC cards That's only if Haymon still has his fighters on Showtime.
                  Have you seen the ESPN/FS1 property of Haymon cards those have been awful don't see how they're getting any better of course he'll have some good ones it's the law of average especially early but after the first 6 months and beyond it'll be typical trash says logic.

Yeah Haymon has a lot of fighters and majority aren't very good/appealing his best ones will be saved for Showtime bcse that's a higher purse..subscription networks aren't going anywhere they have too much revenue.

Comment

TS is really really really reaching. The overriding theme of your diatribe is that Haymon, monopolizing the sport of boxing, will be great for the fans because he will be forced to make his fighters fight each other.

1. Nothing good can come from a monopoly, of any kind.

2. If everyone is under one promotional company, of course they have to fight each other but it doesn't mean they will be evenly matched.

What makes you think he will start making the big fights on free TV. Last I checked, UFC still has PPV events.
                    Last edited by racer59; 12-20-2014, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
                      ya but it will probably be set up similar to wwe network where if u pay the monthly fee no extra charge for ppv everything on file to watch at anytime all that its actually the only real way to go to combat streaming i actually love that idea plus it gives us boxing fans a boxing channel i hope he follows thru with that
                      Yeah, I can envision the similairty to the wwe network model. It's still technically a PPV model, but subscription based and it's probably a lot better than the one-offs with $50-75 USD fees.

I think the major thing is, Haymon needs to produce good match ups for whatever he is doing to get adopted/consumed enough. I question Haymon and what he's doing, but it's largely because of his uncertainty and mystery, coupled with him rarely willing to provide the big fights boxing fans demand.

Comment

Working...
                      X