Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mistake EVERYBODY Makes Against Mayweather.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mistake EVERYBODY Makes Against Mayweather.

I always see the question asked: How will you attack Mayweather? How will you break through his defense?

I suggest a paradigm shift.

How about going in with a plan to DEFEND against Mayweather? How will Floyd feel when he can't hit you at will? When he can't get his offense off? When he feels uncomfortable because he isn't piling up points?

Now, you may ask :"Floyd's offense is not all that. Why should I be worried about his offense?"

That's the person from OUTSIDE the ring saying that. Once you get into the ring, those punches don't feel great. The guy has 25 KO's. Corrales, Hatton. Gatti. Good fighters. He knocked down Marquez. His offense had Shane completely discouraged. He isn't quite the feather-fist you imagine. Guys aren't trying to walk through him.

If I was going to fight Floyd, I would be focused on a BALANCED fight plan. I would be concerned with my defense as much - if not more - than my offense.

Believe me: Floyd expects every opponent to attack him. Judah did. Hatton did. Oscar did. Shane did. Ortiz will.

Flip the script. Give Floyd something to think about. Make him have to come out of his shell OFFENSIVELY.

For discussion....thoughts?

That is why big guy with a good jab seems like a good proposition to beat Floyd, with a long good jab a fighter can control distance and if Mayweather can't get into range he can't be effective on offense.

Now just a jab probably doesn't get it done because Floyd can fight inside and knows about getting inside on a longer range fighter, but that is the place I would want to start from.

Comment

Great point

But i think in general it feels like Floyd likes to counter, so if he was in with a guy who didn't lead and come for him, it would be a very dull fight. And because of the big stage a fight with Floyd would be on (because of what a big draw floyd is) most of his opponents don't want to stink the place out.

Just watching Floyd it doesn't seem theres a BHop-level fighter who would actually be able to outbox him, so agression seems to be the tactic his opponents use most.

This is one of the reasons i'd love Amir Khan to fight Floyd. I know a lot of people believe Khan has no chance, and i can respect that but he has the right attributes. Athletic, very fast, young and hungry, great jab, and not some easy target who'll use the same old tactics.

Bear in mind he virtually won every round against three solid boxers - Kotelnik, Judah and Malignaggi.

Ortiz has no jab, he doesn't have a chance im afraid
      Last edited by ts33; 08-20-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        That is why big guy with a good jab seems like a good proposition to beat Floyd, with a long good jab a fighter can control distance and if Mayweather can't get into range he can't be effective on offense.

Now just a jab probably doesn't get it done because Floyd can fight inside and knows about getting inside on a longer range fighter, but that is the place I would want to start from.
        If a guy could use the type of distance control that Winky used on Tito...

Everybody wants to "come in" on Floyd. How come guys don't "back up"? Leave his a$s standing there?

He won't be in range for the straight right hand...or that lead left hook

Comment

i think a really skilled swarmer with great headmovment would have to feint to get inside and then work the body....

sounds simple but it takes a special type of animal...

the fients would mess with floyds rythm a little but they would have to be really good ones...

then u need to have great headmovement to avoiod getting hit on ur way in and great anticpatiion of his counters....

when he starts to shoulder roll u have to rely on ur left hook a little more cause he rolls with the right very well....

and u would have to NOT get frustrated when he taunts u or makes u miss....

and some gamesmenship would help....

find out what makes him tick try to exploit it....

Comment

i think unless u r like tommy hearns with a big hieght and reach advantage u shoulnt try to outbox him.....

u have to swarm and smother but with great skills

Comment

Defend against Mayweather? Then there wouldn't be a fight. How would you like to see a fight with 20 total punches thrown?

Comment

Why do I feel like defense is kind of a forgotten? Even basic stuff you learn from the first day A LOT of fighters neglect, like head movement.

I guess its something for him to think about, but it might not be a sound strategy for a lot of people for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by ts33 View Post
                  Great point

But i think in general it feels like Floyd likes to counter, so if he was in with a guy who didn't lead and come for him, it would be a very dull fight. And because of the big stage a fight with Floyd would be on (because of what a big draw floyd is) most of his opponents don't want to stink the place out.

Just watching Floyd it doesn't seem there's a BHop-level fighter who would actually be able to outbox him, so aggression seems to be the tactic his opponents use most.
                  OK. **** it. It'll be a dull fight then. Stink it out.

Does Floyd ever rally care whether he makes it a dull fight? Or Ward? Or Hopkins? Or Tarver? Or Winky?

Win today. Look good next time.

"Winning boxing" is sometimes dull boxing. That is the reality. I thought about something that Ward said on FNF that Floyd always says all the time: This is prizefighting, not pride fighting.

Andrade said that he was gonna jab jab jab jab jab-jab- jab jabjabjab. He didn't care whether it was pretty. That is winning boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by El Chicano View Post
                    Defend against Mayweather? Then there wouldn't be a fight. How would you like to see a fight with 20 total punches thrown?
                    I'm not talking as a FAN. I'm talking as an OPPONENT.

Would I rather lose aggressively...or win boring?

Comment

Working...
                    X