• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The only people that would stop Mares from meeting me is GBP' - Donaire

'The only people that would stop Mares from meeting me is GBP' - Donaire
    Dennis 'D Source' Guillermo, Filipino Sports Examiner
    August 14, 2011

After watching Abner Mares win the Showtime bantamweight tournament in controversial fashion (thanks to referee Russell Mora) against Joseph Agbeko, boxing fans were quick to ask for a showdown and unification fight between the new IBF bantamweight king Mares and WBO/WBC bantamweight champion Nonito 'The Filipino Flash' Donaire, Jr.

In an interview with Mares before his fight with Agbeko, the 25-year-old pride of Frankie Espinoza Promotions told me that he would love to fight Donaire if in fact he comes out victorious against Agbeko.

"I would like to fight Donaire," Mares said, and continued, "It should be a great fight. I fight for the people, and if I win this fight, why not? This is what I do, this is my job which is fighting, and also fight the best out there, to be the best. I would like to fight the best out there by beating the best. I don't like to duck anyone, and if that fight comes through, I'd be more than happy to take it."

So after his win, I immediately hit up Donaire who is currently in the Philippines taking care of arrangements for his November 11 church wedding with his wife Rachel.

Below is a transcript of my phone conversation with Donaire:

dSource - "Nonito! That was a crazy fight between Mares and Agbeko; did you get to watch it?"

Nonito Donaire Jr. - "I didn't get to watch the fight, because it wasn't aired here in the Philippines."

dSource - "You didn't try to catch it on the bootleg online streams?"

Nonito Donaire Jr. - "(lauging) No, no, maybe I should.

dSource - "Well Mares won. He looked good, despite some controversy with some low blows he threw that the ref allowed. He looks tough, and everyone is asking him to challenge you now. What do you think about that fight?"

Nonito Donaire Jr. - "Like I said before, I'll fight anyone who steps in the ring on October with me. The only people who would stand in the way of Mares meeting me is Golden Boy Promotions. It would depend if they agree to put him in the ring with me."

dSource - "Interesting. So what should Mares do to secure a fight with you?"

Nonito Donaire Jr. - "If Mares is serious about fighting me, he should talk to his manager and promoter, because I'm not staying around bantamweight for long."
    Donaire also said that Mares is definitely a solid fighter, but feels that his speed and intelligence in the ring would be his edge if that fight ever goes down. Donaire is scheduled for his return fight on October 22 and will be back in the Bay Area next week to resume start training.

http://www.examiner.com/filipino-spo...is-gbp-donaire

Comment

• 'He's just looking so ridiculously strong right now' - Andre Berto on Pacquiao

'He's just looking so ridiculously strong right now' - Andre Berto on Pacquiao
      Dennis 'D Source' Guillermo, Filipino Sports Examiner
      August 14, 2011

I caught up with former WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto (27-1-0, 21 KOs) who is currently training hard for his IBF title fight on September 3 against the Slovenian champion Jan Zaveck (31-1-0, 18 KOs) in Biloxi, Mississippi to talk about his return to the ring after suffering the first loss of his career against Victor Ortiz last April.

Berto has been working out at the Undisputed Gym in the Bay Area with trainer Tony Morgan, and is also getting help with his nutrition and conditioning with SNAC through Victor Conte and track coach Remi Korchemny.

The 27-year-old Winter Haven, Florida resident is looking good in his sparring sessions in Nortern Cali, as this scribe witnessed him go through multiple sparring partners, drawing cheers from other onlookers with his impressive and explosive showing.

Among a lot of things that I talked to Berto about, were his thoughts on the upcoming third fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez in November, and whether he thought that the 8-1 underdog Marquez has a chance in beating Pacquiao.

"You know what, Pacquiao right now... I believe he (Marquez) does have a chance, but Pacquiao, he's just looking so ridiculously strong right now and fast," Berto told me.

"He's completely different from when they fought back in the day, while Marquez is still a naturally small guy. He's coming up to fight Pacquiao. Pacquiao, like I said, is looking tremendously strong fighting big 147 pounders. It's almost ridiculous how strong and fast he looks. We're talking about Mosley, Mosley was like, "that's one of the hardest punchers he's ever fought," and I'm like "that's crazy". I believe it's going to be a good fight, but it's going to be tough to deal with Pacquiao's speed and power."

Asked how he would try to beat Pacquiao if the opportunity presented himself, Berto replied to me with a few interesting concepts.

"I believe a lot of people, they're, I guess afraid of his speed and power; they don't really want to commit too much. I think the only way to beat Pacquiao is to not be afraid to come in and commit," Berto claimed.

"Everybody that really committed with him, you see Cotto when he fought him, the first round was good. Cotto touched him pretty good. He's not too hard to touch, but you just got to remember that he's coming back with some heat, and I think that kind of gets people out of the game. But you just got to be there to fight. You just can't take a shot and ball up the rest of the fight and call it quits. That's the type of guy you need to fight with. Like I said, if it were me, I'm going to fight fire with fire; a lot of speed a lot of power, and be smart as well- turning off angles and keep him off balanced a little bit."

http://www.examiner.com/filipino-spo...to-on-pacquiao

Comment

• Manny Pacquiao The Peoples Champ- Part 1

Manny Pacquiao The Peoples Champ- Part 1
        August 14, 2011

By Timothy James,

We are going to be covering the events that Manny Pacquiao has personally contributed to in Sarangani. The province that elected him Congressman.

Manny Pacquiao has pledged to his people he will make a change in their lives and he will improve their lives in as many aspects as he can. Please enjoy this series of Manny Pacquiao-

The People’s Champ!

ALABEL, Sarangani——This province’s “health landmark” was officially unveiled. In what was described as Sarangani’s pro-active response to President Aquino’s health agenda focused on the universal healthcare for the entire country.

Hundreds of guests, many from the barangays, witnessed the laying of the capsule by Health Assistant Secretary Dr. Romulo Busuego, Sarangani lone district Rep. Manny Pacquiao and Governor Migs Dominguez for the Sarangani Medical Center at the Capitol grounds.

The 200-bed tertiary facility will be administered thru a Public-Private Partnership agreement under the Development Bank of the Philippines’ Credit for Better Health Care Program “to ensure excellent facility and quality service,” according to Rep. Pacquiao.

Initially, Sarangani Medical Center will start to operate with 100 beds but all necessary equipment will be available to run the facility.

Gov. Dominguez pointed out “this is the first time that a local government unit will enter into this kind of agreement and I believe this is also the trend the national government is looking at to run existing facilities in the country.”

With the facility, Dominguez said, indigents will receive the kind of treatment the rich enjoy in private hospitals. “This will be a commitment and a challenge that all of us will face.”

It is a primary concern in Sarangani to put “premium on the health condition of the people,” Pacquiao said, because a “healthy community is crucial to a healthy economy.”

“At least,” in Sarangani, “we can put up a level of confidence, a confidence that our people would come here not because it’s the last choice of our people to come but because it is their choice to deserve in Sarangani,” Busuego said.

He challenged Sarangani stakeholders to sustain the project. “I don’t want to see that Sarangani will have a decay of care because of neglect like any other government facilities.”

“I challenge the local government to look into this on how to maintain, operate and make it even improved further to compete what the congressman is trying to dream about a place where people can choose to come,” Busuego said.

With the commitment to meet the challenges of the Millennium Development Goals, among others, the Department of Health (DOH) is trying to review the system to suit with the health agenda of the President.

This year, more than P7 billion has been allocated by the department for the health insurance coverage and for the improvement of local health facilities “where most of the poor consult,” according to Busuego.

Busuego was the chief of Davao Regional Hospital since 1998 before he was designated as the assistant secretary of DOH where he revolutionized the government management system into now an almost private set-up.

Now, the hospital is being made into a cancer institute which is the only one in Mindanao to have a linear accelerator and the only government-owned facility in the region with that equipment.

“With the facility available now in the region, we can serve those people to die or dies because they do not have other place to go or they cannot afford Davao Doctors Hospital or perhaps other private institutions.”

Information and article courtesy of Rose Tamayo-Tesoro

http://www.mp8.ph/blog/manny-pacquia...-champ-part-1/

Comment

• Pagara and Flores make weight for Aug. 16 Maasin Battle

Pagara and Flores make weight for Aug. 16 Maasin Battle
          By Rene Bonsubre, Jr.
          PhilBoxing.com
          Mon, 15 Aug 2011

Maasin City,Southern Leyte – Unbeaten superflyweight prospect Albert Pagara is set to make his second stint as a headliner when he squares off against Rogen Flores of Dipolog City this Tuesday August 16 at the Maasin City Gymnasium.

The 17 year old Pagara(6W-0L, 5KO’s) was born in this city. He was the main event fighter here last May 20 and knocked out Anthony Galigao in one round. Albert is the younger brother of rising jr.welterweight star Jason Pagara. Flores (9W-14-3D, 4 KO’s) has lost to quality Filipino boxers like Johnriel Casimero, Marvin Mabait,Jether Oliva and Marco Singwangcha.

Both Pagara and Flores weighed in at 115 lbs during the official weigh-in held Monday noon at the City Health Unit of Maasin. They are scheduled to fight for eight rounds. Also set to see action are undefeated Boyce Sultan (4W-0L, 2KO’s) of Zamboanga del Norte against Hagibis Queñones (0W-2L) of the Queñones stable of Gen.Santos City.

Queñones weighed 121 lbs while Sultan had to shed an extra pound and stepped on the scales at 123 lbs on his second attempt. They will fight in a six rounder.

Ivor Lastrilla (121 lbs) of Tacloban City will face Marben Layos (118 lbs) of Gen. Santos City in a four round bout. Last May 20 at the same venue, Lastrilla (2W-0L, 1KO’s) won by first round knockout against Rey Simbajon of Bohol.

Reymund Tabugon (113 lbs) of Cagayan de Oro will fight Lowell Saguisa (113 lbs) of Bato,Leyte in another four rounder. The weigh-in was supervised by Rolando Mendoza of the Games and Amusements Board. Fight fans will also get to see their local amateur standouts who will open this boxing event. This boxing promotion is part of the city’s fiesta celebrations and sponsored by the local government of Maasin lead by Mayor Maloney Samaco. Fight time is at 7 PM.

Photo: Albert Pagara (L) is shown here in action against Allen in Lapu-lapu City last July 30. Pagara sees action again tomorrow against Rogen Flores in Maaasin City.

Comment

• 'Pacquiao will knock me out' – WWE star

'Pacquiao will knock me out' – WWE star
            abs-cbnNEWS.com
            Posted at 08/15/2011

MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATED) Nine-time World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) champion John Cena is known for his toughness inside the ring, but he admits that he won't last against Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao.

"I think it would be very quick, and the decision would be obvious," Cena said. "Manny Pacquiao will knock me out in the 1st round."

Cena also said that if Pacquiao ever enters the wrestling ring, then the WWE champion will have to work on his quickness.

"If Manny will enter the WWE, I would have to work a lot on my quickness. He is lightning quick," Cena said. "So just give me a little bit of warning if he decides to (enter the WWE)."

Cena admitted that he was a big fan of the pound-for pound king.

"I have a lot of respect (for Pacquiao). He's done so much, not only for the Philippines. His popularity has transcended," Cena said.

Cena was attending the WWE's "Be A Star" red carpet event for their Summer Slam pay-per-view.

He will be fighting CM Punk in a match that will decide who will be the Undisputed WWE champion. -- Report from Gretchen Fullido, ABS-CBN News

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/08...80%93-wwe-star

Comment

• thank you, nice sharing..

Comment

• Tomorrow’s Champions

Tomorrow’s Champions
                Published : Tuesday, August 16, 2011
                Written by : Manny Piñol

LAST Saturday, in the mountain resort town of Magpet in North Cotabato, about 2,000 people gathered to witness eight young fighters slug it out hoping to become future boxing champions.
                For most of them, who were fighting as professional boxers for the first time, it was the start of a long and hard journey to proverbial fame and fortune.

Not all of them will go that far though. Some will fall by the sideways as the competition toughens.

But judging by the participation and the reception of the crowd which witnessed the launching of “Tomorrow’s Champions II,” it easy to conclude Philippine boxing will never run out of prospective boxing talents who would like to be like Manny Pacquiao while the crowd will never get tired of watching young boys trading punches in an attempt to lift their families from poverty.

‘Tomorrow’s Champions’ will be aired on a delayed basis on PTV4 as part of the effort to introduce these young boys to a bigger audience through the magic of modern communications.

Backed by my brothers who all have a stake in the Braveheart Boxing Club which has so far produced world caliber fighters after a decade of involvement with amateur and professional boxing, Tomorrow’s Champions received a huge support from American Howie Inafuku, a boxing and gamefowl enthusiast.

Inafuku’s HIwaii Media Productions, still an unregistered media outfit, has partnered with Braveheart Media Promotions to produce ‘Tomorrow’s Champions’ for Philippine television.

Inafuku, whose youthful years were marred by his involvement with drugs, says he now wants to help young boys avoid the pitfalls of drugs and other vices by supporting professional boxing in the Philippines.

In fact, he has offered the facilities of his boxing gymnasium in Hawaii for prospective world caliber fighters.

Already, he has eyed two young junior featherweights that he would like to bring to Hawaii to train. They are 22-year-old Ronnie Apilado and 23-year-old Rey Juntilla, both products of the grassroots boxing program I started when I was Governor of North Cotabato.

Apilado knocked out the veteran John Ray Verano in only the first round with a tremendous combination to the body and the head.

Juntilla also stopped Joash Aparicio in his first 10-round fight after he connected with stinging jabs and straights that caused a huge swelling and cut below the left eye of Aparicio.

“Tomorrow’s Champions’ which is also being supported by the Philippine Boxing Brotherhood will move next month to Davao City for its second monthly tournament and showcase more young fighters who have the potentials of making it big in professional boxing.

http://www.manilatimes.net/index.php/sports/4696

Comment

• Manny Pacquiao twice whipped Marquez…

Manny Pacquiao twice whipped Marquez…
                  August 15, 2011 by Staff

WBO/WBA/Ring lightweight champion Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez (54-5-1, 39 KO’s) has been insisting for years now that he was cheated of victory in his previous two contests with WBO welterweight champion Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KO’s).

The whole basis for a Trilogy between Marquez and Manny Pacquiao is that “Dinamita” has been clamoring for another fight since their second match in 2008. Marquez claimed after that fight that he was robbed of victory in both the 2004 and 2008 fights.

Let’s take a serious look at both fights to see what really happened.

In the first fight between Marquez and Manny Pacquiao in 2004 when the combatants fought at 126 pounds the contest was called a draw, despite Marquez having been knocked down three times in the first round. It is true that Marquez did turn around the tempo of the fight, but what he declines to tell people is that one of the judges made an error in his scorecard when tabulating the points for each fighter. The judge ruled the first round 10-7 in favor of Pacquiao instead of the 10-6 that it should have been scored because of the three knockdowns. If the scorecards had been tabulated correctly Manny Pacquiao would have been the winner. The judge later admitted his mistake. Despite this Marquez still clings to the notion that he actually won the fight.

In the second fight in 2008 Marquez and Manny Pacquiao fought at 130 pounds. Marquez lost the fight by a split decision. Marquez thought he had done enough to win but a third round knockdown scored by Manny was the deciding factor in his winning the decision. Granted it was a close fight but again there appears to be no basis for the Marquez camp to make the assertion that he was deprived of victory.

When two boxers fight it out down to the wire in a competitive and close fight, the loser almost always feels that he won the fight. That is a normal phenomenon in boxing. “Dinamita” has been beating the drums for such a long time that he was cheated of victory in his two fights with Pacquiao that many people have been swayed into believing him.

Marquez has received much attention through his non stop comments to the press that Pacquiao did not deserve victory in the previous two fights. His campaign finally paid off in that he will be meeting Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao for the third time on November 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. For Marquez, who is in the twilight of his career, the Trilogy against Pacquiao will be his most lucrative fight. Even if he does not pull off a victory he will benefit financially in his fight with Manny Pacquiao.

Manny Pacquiao is confident that he will end all the controversy when he steps into the ring to do battle with Juan Manuel Marquez.

http://thyblackman.com/2011/08/15/ma...ipped-marquez/

Comment

• hhaha wtf this btch has no life. But to answer your question what team? It consist of manny and donaire the rest are garbage.

Comment

• Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comment

Working...
                      X