No announcement yet.

Let's not ignore the fact that Gonzalez is past his prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's not ignore the fact that Gonzalez is past his prime

Despite the knockout, he is a faded fighter. I think this a devastating loss. Not only to Mares' reputation but to Golden Boy's 126 lb division.

Let's be honest, Donaire and Rigo would have iced him as well.

Even after the Ponce De Leon fight, he never really impressed me. His rush in style would eventually get exposed.

Comment

I think Mares believed the b/s people kept feeding him ive seen this problem over and over again fighters are told they are way better than what they really are and believe their own hype this trumps their chances for improvement and as we saw tonight makes them reckless and is detrimental overall.

Comment

I feel the same way and I had winning this fight going away. Gonzalez hasn't looked really good in a while. Mares needs to go back down to 122.

Comment

Who does Johhny fight for? Zanfer or GBP?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
            Despite the knockout, he is a faded fighter. I think this a devastating loss. Not only to Mares' reputation but to Golden Boy's 126 lb division.

Let's be honest, Donaire and Rigo would have iced him as well.
            Lets be really honest. Those fight did not happen.

Looks like floyds fantasy wins are well learned tactics

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
              I think Mares believed the b/s people kept feeding him ive seen this problem over and over again fighters are told they are way better than what they really are and believe their own hype this trumps their chances for improvement and as we saw tonight makes them reckless and is detrimental overall.
              The way he fell for that trap was surprising. His guard was down and he was asking for that vicious left hook from an expert power puncher. A fan of both champs and a great first round KO. Hope Mares learns from this and tightens his defense. If anything i would like to see him go back to his roots, smooth and sound combination puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
                The way he fell for that trap was surprising. His guard was down and he was asking for that vicious left hook from an expert power puncher. A fan of both champs and a great first round KO. Hope Mares learns from this and tightens his defense. If anything i would like to see him go back to his roots, smooth and sound combination puncher.
                I thought Paulie broke it down very well in the post fight, he was marinating the left hook, he was tapping Mares with a left, trying to get him to drop his right hand, and as soon as he did the left hook was there.

It was a beautiful left hook, and set up.

Comment

Mares for most of his career has gotten away with being reckless. I think he made the amateur mistake of not knowing what kind of puncher he had in front of him, that being the biggest puncher he's ever faced.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                    Who does Johhny fight for? Zanfer or GBP?
                    If he fights for Danger I could see Donaire vs Gonzalez soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X