• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Good read: Why your data is worth $104 billion

Something to really think about

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166...4_billion.html

Excerpt:
    All of the discussion and speculation surrounding the Facebook IPO over the past month has served as an introduction to the new “personal data economy” for many people. Facebook—and a thousand other smaller companies like it—are in the business of collecting and monetizing personally identifiable information (aka PII).

And that’s when things could get very interesting from a privacy perspective—and, potentially, very dangerous. As Facebook nears 1 billion users, the mountain of highly detailed personal information the company is sitting on is larger than anything ever amassed by any company or government in history.

But Facebook has also continued to make moves that make you wonder where the company really stands on privacy. It has been slowly rolling out facial recognition technology that could identify users and automatically attach their names to photos in which they appear—without their knowledge or consent. The addition of the millions of photos Facebook bought in its acquisition of Instagram only adds to the worry over facial recognition.

Today Facebook makes about $5 from each of its users, while Google makes $30. It’s unlikely that Facebook will push that $5 number up on the strength of its existing business. Investors will look to Facebook to make more from the users it already has.
    Last edited by arraamis; 05-20-2012, 06:35 AM.

i have been struggling with the idea of shutting my page down, for a while. the excerpt (I haven't read the article yet) is just scary enough to make my decision easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
      i have been struggling with the idea of shutting my page down, for a while. the excerpt (I haven't read the article yet) is just scary enough to make my decision easier.
      It does make you think about how exposed you are via FB.

I don't mind a company turning a profit while offering a service, but when they become a vehicle for streaming information and data to unidentified targets, then it becomes an issue. Especially because of recent moves by hiring companies to force social networks to release user data for employment evaluations. Now, you are contributing to your demise and don't even know it -- and consider that the FEDS and other Govt. en****** have almost omnipotent authority, granted under the title National Security .... FB can be a means to supply all the data necessary and needed.

I'll state again .... it does make one think!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
        Originally posted by arraamis View Post
        It does make you think about how exposed you are via FB.

I don't mind a company turning a profit while offering a service, but when they become a vehicle for streaming information and data to unidentified targets, then it becomes an issue. Especially because of recent moves by hiring companies to force social networks to release user data for employment evaluations. Now, you are contributing to your demise and don't even know it -- and consider that the FEDS and other Govt. en****** have almost omnipotent authority, granted under the title National Security .... FB can be a means to supply all the data necessary and needed.

I'll state again .... it does make one think!!!!!

i thought about it long ago, and ditched the FB. i only had it for a year

as Omar would say: aint no thang

Comment

Deactivated my account about 2 months ago. Not going back to that shiz.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrel View Post
            Deactivated my account about 2 months ago. Not going back to that shiz.
            they'll hold it forever unless you delete it!

Comment

Originally posted by - v e t - View Post
              they'll hold it forever unless you delete it!
              Mo****ers.

So I'll have to activate it to delete it?

Comment

Originally posted by Terrel View Post
                Mo****ers.

So I'll have to activate it to delete it?
                http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=224562897555674

Comment

Thanks.

Facebook.

Comment

I thought its absolutely impossible to delete your Facebook and that's it's stored on the servers no? I'm glad I never made a Facebook, I have 1 but I haven't done anything on it at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X