Guard Up!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
    Ok, you are a puncher.

Let me tell you one thing, every promoter, every manager and every trainer in the world WANTS a puncher! You have a gift which can be turned into a million dollar winner, or a million dollar loser, but millions are waiting for you. However, be sure to surround yourself with good people, because you can lose millions even faster than you can make them!

Who would you like to be on your team? Figure out who they are and go looking for them. They will put you in the ring to see what you can do. Just knockout whomever they put in front of you. Rocky Marciano could do it, and if indeed you have knockout power, you can too. If you get involved with the right people they will take you all the way to the top. The wrong people will flush you down the sewer.
    Whoa, hold up Potatoes. One step at a time. There are a lot of talanted people out there who have rused and are now in a bas situation, can't even get a fight due to legalities "myself included" Besides he was asking because he hadn't proved his style in the ring yet. Or at least thats what I assume by the questions asked. Your advice sounds like somthing out of Fraziers book, Somthing that should also be mentioned is Trainers have fallen into the practice of not only rushing young fighters because they have impressive talent, but seeing there power and focusing only on that one atribute. My advice and this comes from experience. not a book. Is to build a reputable amateur career. Make sure you want this lifestyle. Get some good esposure. Look for any and every national event. Trials for US boxing is coming up! try to get there. Ringside just had a huge tournement, would have been a big plus for him to have made it there. Your skills have to be perfected. Yes Pro boxing is very different than amateur, however your skills in the ring as far a fundementals go need to be deeply set into your style. Besides, if you are going to fight with the particular style you mention, you need to face the obstical of U.S amateur boxing's favortism of a more orthodox method of boxing, winning by there judging system would only make that style more effective profesionally. "in a way" Also make contact with everybody you can in the boxing world get your name out there. You may want Emanual Stewart as your trainer. That doesnt' mean Douva isn't the man for you. "just examples" And if you can get a telivised fight bend over backwards to take it. But be known while you are coming up. You have to live a special lifestyle I mean live, eat, sleep Boxing.

Comment

Yeah, hold up. I'm a puncher, but I'm a 36-year old puncher who's just now getting his first fight. A little late for me to go pro. I just want to prove something to myself. Once I step through those ropes in eleven days, my journey is complete, my friends. I may stick with boxing as a hobby after that -- we'll just see how bad I get beaten up -- but the big day is coming up fast. I don't chicken out in the locker room, I give whatever I've got when I step on the canvas, and I've got what I came for. I'll have come a long -- LONG -- way.

****, the first time I got hit hard, six months ago, I threw up. Then I went home and cried. Me? That guy? In a match? HELL, yeah! That's all this is about.

Comment

More:

People notice a difference in me. My posture, my face, the set of my shoulders and my jaw. Not only am I 35 lbs. lighter (165.5 this morning!) but I've got a confidence in my stare that people have actually commented on. Plus the fact that, in confrontation -- even trivial crap at my job or in the parking lot at a club -- people don't screw with me anymore.

The husband of a friend of my wife asked me where I was stationed not too long ago. He's career Navy and he took me for a Marine. He said he was very surprised that I wasn't military. "Your posture, your eyes, you've got that presence. Really? You've never been in the service?"

"Nope," I replied. One of the nicest things anyone's said to me in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
          More:

People notice a difference in me. My posture, my face, the set of my shoulders and my jaw. Not only am I 35 lbs. lighter (165.5 this morning!) but I've got a confidence in my stare that people have actually commented on. Plus the fact that, in confrontation -- even trivial crap at my job or in the parking lot at a club -- people don't screw with me anymore.

The husband of a friend of my wife asked me where I was stationed not too long ago. He's career Navy and he took me for a Marine. He said he was very surprised that I wasn't military. "Your posture, your eyes, you've got that presence. Really? You've never been in the service?"

"Nope," I replied. One of the nicest things anyone's said to me in a long time.
          THATS SOME COOL AS ****. LET ME WARN U THIS IS AN ADICTION, IT GETS IN YOUR BLOOD AND YOUR HOOKED. ESPECIALY WHEN YOU FLOOR YOUR FIRST VICTOM. IT'LL ALWAYS BE MORE THAN A HOBBY. AND THERES ALWAYS SEMI PRO. THERES SOME GOOD COMPETITION THERE NOT ALL BUMS. CHECK IT OUT AT www.semiproboxing.org THERES SOME OTHER ORGANIZATIONS TO. YOU MIGHT JUST FALL IN LOVE WITH IT.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
            Yeah, hold up. I'm a puncher, but I'm a 36-year old puncher who's just now getting his first fight. A little late for me to go pro. I just want to prove something to myself. Once I step through those ropes in eleven days, my journey is complete, my friends. I may stick with boxing as a hobby after that -- we'll just see how bad I get beaten up -- but the big day is coming up fast. I don't chicken out in the locker room, I give whatever I've got when I step on the canvas, and I've got what I came for. I'll have come a long -- LONG -- way.

****, the first time I got hit hard, six months ago, I threw up. Then I went home and cried. Me? That guy? In a match? HELL, yeah! That's all this is about.

36?

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were 15 years younger. Ok, have a few fights, it will be fun. At your age nobody (who is anybody) is going to take you very seriously. If you get too many knockouts, opponents will just duck you and that will be the end of it.

Comment

Working...
            X