Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Pernell Whitaker rank on your ATG list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wmute View Post
    Top 10 p4p last 50 years.

Ali Jones Monzon Leonard Duran Foreman Chavez Hopkins Barrera Paquiao Holyfield McCallum Sanchez Pacquiao Hearns Napoles Spinks etc etc all have superior resumes.
    Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 10-08-2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      then you would have a fighter who could not only rarely get tagged in his prime but could end a fight at any time.
      To punch like Jackson you have to have more than the natural gifts and technique.....you have to be willing to commit to crushing someone and that means sacrificing defense. Whitaker could have had more pop if he fully committed to each and every shot, but then he'd lose some of that slickness.

Pernell Whitaker was actually a better puncher than people remember.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post

Ali Jones Monzon Leonard Duran Foreman Chavez Hopkins Barrera Paquiao Holyfield McCallum Sanchez Pacquiao Hearns Napoles Spinks etc etc all have superior resumes.
        Don't forget Virgil Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
          To punch like Jackson you have to have more than the natural gifts and technique.....you have to be willing to commit to crushing someone and that means sacrificing defense. Whitaker could have had more pop if he fully committed to each and every shot, but then he'd lose some of that slickness.

Pernell Whitaker was actually a better puncher than people remember.
          I tend to agree with you although going the distance and not have the ultimate ko ratio Pernell did not only frustrate people with his defense he did have enough pop to discourage his opposition as well.

Comment

if i had to guesstimate my own list ( i haven't strayed far form top 10) I'd say top 20.
            Last edited by AntonTheMeh; 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

One of the best fighters of the '90s and considered number one pound for pound by some at the time, although it seems like De La Hoya and Jones would soon surpass him by the latter half of the decade. By then too, Mayweather was heading for that number one spot as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post

Top 10 p4p last 50 years.
                Can't agree on this one, but I rank him as the best P4P fighter of the last 30 years; the best since Monzon, Duran, and Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  Can't agree on this one, but I rank him as the best P4P fighter of the last 30 years; the best since Monzon, Duran, and Ali.
                  Do you hold his come-from-behind KO of Diobelys Hurtado against him?

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post

Drop it fanboy...

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                      Sorry I don't get you. What you just wrote implies there are 10 better fighters than Pea fighting between 1962-1982. Are you sure?

Comment

Working...
                      X