No announcement yet.

Article: Martinez cannot sleep at night, seeing psychologist after Cotto defeat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
    Remember when 79% of NSB said Cotto will get ktfo?

I do
    Sad times for Cotto haters.

Comment

Almost everyone, including Sergio, thought he was going to win big. The KO, especially the way he went down in rd 1, had to **** him up a little mentally.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        Then you would have never gotten than money or fame. The reason that Martinez is who he is, and so are all of the great athletes, is because of this obsession with being the best.

One of the hardest thing that a champion can deal with is defeat, especially one as talented and prideful as Martinez. I have seen amateur standouts freeze in their first fight, lose and never fight again.

It's a very tough sport, and these fighters have huge ego's. When that ego is broken, it's one of the hardest things to deal with.
        This. Before the money and fame he was just Sergio Martinez, a poor kid from Argentina with aspirations to be a great competitor (athlete.)

Anyways, it sounds like he is having a hard time coping with the fact that he isn't the boxer he was a half a decade ago, which is understandable for a competitor of his nature. However, it didn't just happen over night, there has been tell tale signs for a couple years now..

I hope everything works out and he finds the courage to hang up the gloves, which isn't so easy after such a devistating defeat.

Sergio has nothing to be ashamed of and nothing left to prove.

Comment

Sucks, Martinez was probably depressed with his injuries. They guy was a really active person, and not being able to do the activities you like because of your injuries could effect him mentally, considering these injuries were realively new.
          We could thank Cotto for taking advantage. He put the icing on his cake.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
            ThAts weird, because his promoter lou dibella just said he fully supports Sergio coming back for another fight.

Dibella remains a true slim ball.
            Lol Dibella isnt his parent or his best buddy. Martinez is Dibella's business asset. Funny when people expect regular societal considerations in the business world.

And it's clear that Martinez will fight again. He wants answers that he can only get in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
              Almost everyone, including Sergio, thought he was going to win big. The KO, especially the way he went down in rd 1, had to **** him up a little mentally.
              It also happened when the lights were brightest. It will take some time before he gets over this one. I'd rather him go to a psychologist than try to find answers in the ring. He's not ready to take that step yet.
              Last edited by kiaba360; 08-08-2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masters01 View Post
                No you wouldnt. You'd adjust to being rich soon enough and set yourself goals in other areas - like being world class in your craft. And if you lost really big and get super disappointed with yourself, the money wont help with that.
                I wouldn't. I'm a professional in my late 20s who makes very good money at my job ...
                but if I made elite-level P4P boxing superstar money ... my Lord, I'd be the laziest **** on the planet and spend the rest of my life drunk on mojitos & ****ing the youngest, hottest blonde college girls available

I have no dreams of accomplishing anything other than being able to afford a life of retirement, hedonism, leisure. That's sad & shallow but it's also the honest truth.

God or Fate or whatever will probably never let me attain *that* level of wealth because if I had it I would be a straight-up asshole

That's why I admire guys like Floyd & Pac. They're rich beyond their wildest dreams but they still ****in train like they don't have a dime.

I'm motivated now and who knows if I'd be motivated still if I had their kind of money but my gut tells me I would not be

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
                  This. Before the money and fame he was just Sergio Martinez, a poor kid from Argentina with aspirations to be a great competitor (athlete.)

Anyways, it sounds like he is having a hard time coping with the fact that he isn't the boxer he was a half a decade ago, which is understandable for a competitor of his nature. However, it didn't just happen over night, there has been tell tale signs for a couple years now..

I hope everything works out and he finds the courage to hang up the gloves, which isn't so easy after such a devistating defeat.

Sergio has nothing to be ashamed of and nothing left to prove.
                  Not only will he not hang them up, we will see him again. He will never be the same fighter he once was and only in triumph will he see this.

Chavez Sr was seeing this when he was done but still good enough to beat most guys at the tail end of his career. They can't go out losing, they have to do it on their own terms.

Comment

Now that the fight is over and my point was definitively proven, I feel for Sergio. He's a champion and that was his biggest stage thus far in his career. Losing the way he did is not something he'll just get over in a month or two.

He shall return and he will make his presence felt.

Comment

Huge warning signs against Murray.

Like RJ, his style had an expiration date.

Call it a day champ. It was fun but your body betrayed you.

When your body won't respond to your mind, its.over

Comment

Working...
                      X