No announcement yet.

Dailynews article: "Boxing fans feeling cheated!"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Triple-K View Post
    Boxing is almost dead in America -- soon it will be like soccer, a sport people in the rest of the world follow, with a small cult following in America. And a big part of the reason is that America will never again dominate the heavyweight division.
    ^^^^^^^^ co-sign

Comment

Boxing is almost dead in America -- soon it will be like soccer, a sport people in the rest of the world follow, with a small cult following in America. And a big part of the reason is that America will never again dominate the heavyweight division.
      ^^^ co-sign

Comment

Sad but true!

Comment

So, as boxing fans...we should all be rooting for American heavyweights then, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
            PPV has contributed more to the 'death' of boxing than any other factor. But there's too much money involved for the promoters and fighters, and it seems like they won't stop until every fight is PPV. It's sickening especially with pretty much all PPVs this year being farces (minus Morales-Maidana, but like 23 people bought that).
            Growing up, I got to watch SRL, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Holmes, Pryor, ARguello, MArvin STarling etc. on Saturday or SUnday afternoon on free TV. 1st fight I saw, John Tate getting KTFO by Mike WEaver was a friday night card on ABC.

How does boxing grow its fan base when teenage kids can only see Floyd and Manny on ppv and gamboa, donaire, sergio on HBO?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
              Growing up, I got to watch SRL, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Holmes, Pryor, ARguello, MArvin STarling etc. on Saturday or SUnday afternoon on free TV. 1st fight I saw, John Tate getting KTFO by Mike WEaver was a friday night card on ABC.

How does boxing grow its fan base when teenage kids can only see Floyd and Manny on ppv and gamboa, donaire, sergio on HBO?
              Bold- That's the only thing that can save the sport, getting back to free network TV or at least stations that are part of basic cable packages that have many times more the subscribers of HBO or Showtime.

Red- It doesn't, just like what we've seen in recent years. The sport is regressing. Sooner or later, the public will revolt against the current system. Zeus forbid if the Pac-JMM main event or Cotto-Margarito ends in controversy (not like a split decision or draw after a great fight but like a sucker punch or body slam).

Boxing keeps shooting itself in the foot and when it looks like the people in charge will take a step in the right direction, they regress. Still waiting on Top Rank's promise of Boxing coming back to the networks...

Comment

damn they called a hopkins fight abysmal...thats a new low even for nard...lol

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
                  Bold- That's the only thing that can save the sport, getting back to free network TV or at least stations that are part of basic cable packages that have many times more the subscribers of HBO or Showtime.

Red- It doesn't, just like what we've seen in recent years. The sport is regressing. Sooner or later, the public will revolt against the current system. Zeus forbid if the Pac-JMM main event or Cotto-Margarito ends in controversy (not like a split decision or draw after a great fight but like a sucker punch or body slam).

Boxing keeps shooting itself in the foot and when it looks like the people in charge will take a step in the right direction, they regress. Still waiting on Top Rank's promise of Boxing coming back to the networks...

For me it starts and ends with ESPN. PWill, MArtinez, GAmboa, Donaire should be on ESPN twice a year if possible. Andre Ward, Broner, GAry Russell. WHy the **** should Nonito DOnaire, one of the 5 best fighters in the world, be on at 10:30 at night on HBO when he could be on ESPN on a friday at 8?

ESPN is in about 5 times as many homes as HBO.

I watched SRL and Benitez live on ABC and my son has to pay $49.95 to watch Cotto/MArg 2, which wont start until 11 on the east coast.

Comment

I did not Pay for the Floyd-Ortiz fiasco! Never in wildest dream I even think of Paying for any of Bhop Fights!

And now Cant wait for the Pac-JMM fight! And i'm thinking about getting the Cotto-Cheato fight! That will be very entertaining fights! Guaranteed! Cant say that to Bhop * Floyd fights!

Comment

If someone is gonna start talking about ppv, they should keep it 100%. Because the reality of it is that Pacman & Arum had their hand in at least 3 garbage ppv's already. Talk about floyd fine, talk about B-Hop fine, but keep it 100 when you do. Pacman fought Clottey, Margarito, Mosley & Now Marquez at welterweight on ppv. None of those matches belonged on ppv.

Comment

Working...
                      X