No announcement yet.

NFL may get rid of extra points

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL may get rid of extra points

The NFL is considering making changes to the extra point after touchdowns, reports NFL.com.

http://tracking.si.com/2014/01/20/nf...=si_topstories

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told the NFL Network that the Competition Committee might eventually get rid of extra points in favor of a revised scoring system.

“The extra point is almost automatic,” Goodell said. “I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play.

“There’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about. It’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six.”

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
    The NFL is considering making changes to the extra point after touchdowns, reports NFL.com.

http://tracking.si.com/2014/01/20/nf...=si_topstories

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told the NFL Network that the Competition Committee might eventually get rid of extra points in favor of a revised scoring system.

“The extra point is almost automatic,” Goodell said. “I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play.

“There’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about. It’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six.”
    So basically then it will remain the same as before since the point after is 99.9% automatic. Teams will always just take the 7 unless they need two.

It's the same exact **** minus the kicker having to actually go out and kick the extra point.

Comment

Games are getting far too long already, I'd be fine with this.

Comment

Ahhh the old NFL Blitz 2000 rule

Comment

Then noone would ever go for two unless the game was absolutely on the line.

Comment

More time for teh commercials.

Comment

Not a bad change.....2point conversions might decide more games under aggressive coaches.

One less useless play; one more offensive play.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
                Not a bad change.....2point conversions might decide more games under aggressive coaches.

One less useless play; one more offensive play.
                I don't know bro, it's really in essence the same exact thing. I mean I could give a **** about keeping PATs but really this won't affect anyone's strategy one iota. In instances where teams would normally kick an extra point -- they'll just take the automatic 7. And the only times they'd go for that extra 8th point would be the same instances in which they'd go for two during the extra point era. So really things would remain exactly the same. Only difference is the games might be a sliver shorter. Or more commercial time. Either or.

Comment

Wouldn't really mind this at all.

Comment

They could make the conversion in-line with were the touchdown is scored as with Rugby instead of it automatically being central. Would still be a piece of piss, but not guaranteed with NFL kickers.

Comment

Working...
                    X