Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Oscar take a dive against Hopkins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats what happens when a bigger boxers hits a smaller one.......especially in the body.

Comment

no he didn't take a dive...taking a dive means you have a chance to win but decided to take a loss for money or other considerations.
      it's more like he took an easy way out. he can still get up but chose not to rather than take more punishment...he got no chance anyway.

Comment

Man I don't know if he took a dive or not, but I will say that that was one of the weakest body punch KO's I have ever seen. As a matter of fact I can't even think of one comparable right off the top of my head lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Homeless Lump View Post
          I dunno if every video is edited but everyone i have seen of the ko has some random dude shouting body shot body shot... moments before the ko. It was a tap like the above poster said.. Like Mayweather said how the **** you got the energy to pound the mat.. but not get up?

bhop became GDB partner not long after aswell..

Oscar was boxing nicely up untill the also
          Not long after? Try two weeks later. Those kind of deals take a little longer to get done. Clearly he signed on to GBP before the fight happened.

Comment

I don't know if Oscar took a dive.

But, I think they had already agreed upon going into business together becoming partners. And, due to that I think B-hop took it easy on that fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
              I don't know if Oscar took a dive.

But, I think they had already agreed upon going into business together becoming partners. And, due to that I think B-hop took it easy on that fraud.
              He definitely took it easy on Oscar. Hopkins coulda bent him over and made him squeal in round one. Watching his performance sent off alarm signals for me. Then that weird body shot...I don't care where he hit him, that **** was nothing. If that was the case, boxers everywhere who got tapped in that spot by their opponent as they walked to their respective corner when the round ends would be collapsing everywhere. Then two weeks later...?

Boxing still gets fixed although it's very rare these days. Don't forget De La Hoya-Campas, which was just disgraceful. A lot of Oscar's Vegas decisions were controversial...that wasn't just because of differing opinions either.

Comment

eh, some body shots don't look like much at all tbh. There are some killer ones that comes to mind like Roy's and even Bute's, but I've seen plenty of body shot that doesn't appear hard at all and the fighter just drops.

Who knows though. Maybe it was maybe it wasn't. If it was a dive, not that smart on Oscar's part imo. Hopkins was never that marketable to begin with and he was about 38 years old at the time (and even back then people thought he was past it) so one had to wonder how many fights hopkins had left in him (no one knew he'd still be fighting at 46 back then not even hopkins).

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                  eh, some body shots don't look like much at all tbh. There are some killer ones that comes to mind like Roy's and even Bute's, but I've seen plenty of body shot that doesn't appear hard at all and the fighter just drops.

Who knows though. Maybe it was maybe it wasn't. If it was a dive, not that smart on Oscar's part imo. Hopkins was never that marketable to begin with and he was about 38 years old at the time (and even back then people thought he was past it) so one had to wonder how many fights hopkins had left in him (no one knew he'd still be fighting at 46 back then not even hopkins).
                  It wasn't about Hopkins being marketable. It was about Hopkins adding credibility to the outfit - and helping to pave way for other fighters to come on board. It was was savvy as hell, especially when you look back at how Hopkins was viewed then (against the powers-that-be, blah, blah).

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    It wasn't about Hopkins being marketable. It was about Hopkins adding credibility to the outfit - and helping to pave way for other fighters to come on board. It was was savvy as hell, especially when you look back at how Hopkins was viewed then (against the powers-that-be, blah, blah).
                    Yeah that's a good point. Still don't think oscar would have needed to take a dive in order to get hopkins though, so it's kind of stupid. Plus, why would oscar demand a 158 pound catchweight if he knew he was going to take a dive anyway, why not just fight at the full 160?

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                      Yeah that's a good point. Still don't think oscar would have needed to take a dive in order to get hopkins though, so it's kind of stupid. Plus, why would oscar demand a 158 pound catchweight if he knew he was going to take a dive anyway, why not just fight at the full 160?
                      I don't think he needed to Hopkins to take a dive either. I'm pretty sure that in order to get Hopkins on board he had to give him a signing bonus, ie. $10m fight against me. The catchweight, I thought, was pretty insignificant. You have Bernard asking Nazim before round nine "This is the round, right?" And then Nazim yelling at Hopkins throughout the round to do what? Next thing you know..tap..KO. WTF. Then two weeks later? They musta had a lot of meetings and negotiations before that fight. I mean, they had to. Yet...they were fighting each other.

BTW, this isn't the only fight where there were strong rumors of a fix. Again, Campas-Oscar was a slap in the face. And Oscar's so-called gambling issues and high visibility in Vegas always made it anyone's guess as to what the bigwigs were gonna decide would happen when he fought.

Comment

Working...
                      X