No announcement yet.

Lampley Sees Romero/Martinez Winner as Opponent for Rigondeaux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lampley Sees Romero/Martinez Winner as Opponent for Rigondeaux

HBO boxing analyst Jim Lampley said he believes that Saturday night's junior featherweight fight between Colombia's IBF beltholder, Jhonathan Romero, and Spain's Kiko Martinez could yield an entertaining rival for RING 122-pound champion Guillermo Rigondeaux.

Rigondeaux (12-0, 8 knockouts) earned the RING, WBA and WBO titles with on April on HBO with a unanimous decision over Nonito Donaire, but has since had difficulty finding an opponent.

Romero is 23-0 with 12 knockouts heading into the bout with Martinez (28-4, 20 KOs), which is part of a triple-header whose main event matches Australian IBF middleweight titleholder Daniel Geale and England's Darren Barker on HBO's Boxing After Dark.

"We're looking for people in the 122-pound weight class who can continue to provide entertainment along with the two big stars that we're already covering in that division, Nonito Donaire and potentially Guillermo Rigondeaux. If we can find a way to match Rigondeaux interestingly, one of the questions that we have in the division is who has the goods to fight Rigondeaux," said Lampley.

"So I'm interested to see Martinez, who is the underdog in the fight, and who is going to be the puncher. I think that in order to make Rigondeaux interesting in the division and in the ring as skilled as he is and as dominant as he is, we need punchers to go at him. We need somebody who can go straight forward and challenge Rigondeaux, stylistically."

Lampley also sees Romero as a challenge to Rigondeaux.

"Romero is taller, longer and probably the better boxer, and the favorite against Martinez," said Lampley. "It may be a situation where, if he is as good a forward-moving aggressor, as I am told that he is, and he has that kind of length, and the the confidence of an unbeaten fighter, then maybe he's the guy who could provide a challenge to Rigondeaux."

Donaire has also been mentioned for a potential Nov. 9 card that could include a junior lightweight bout between RING featherweight champion Mikey Garcia and WBO beltholder Roman "Rocky" Martinez, and may return as a featherweight.

"The one that probably isn't going to move up is Rigondeaux," said Lampley. "Because his advantages at 122 are probably too big for him to move up."

http://******.craveonline.com/blog/1...-sBLtc.twitter

I was wondering why they were showcasing Romero/Martinez but now I know what they're doing.

Geale/Barker is HBO trying to build up a GGG opponent while Romero/Martinez is trying to build up a Rigo opponent.

Lampley said what I've been saying all along. It's about the type of styles that you put in the ring with Rigo. You can't match him up with low volume counter punchers.

Comment

Rigondeaux beats anyone at 122, I don't care who they put him in with. But that would be a good fight for him, collect another title. I'd like to see him go undisputed at 122, Leo Santa Cruz will be moving up in about a year or so probably anyway. This is what's wrong with boxing.

We have so many good fights from 122-126 that aren't being made because of the promotional beef.

Santa Cruz vs Rigondeaux, that'd be a damn good fight. Mares vs Donaire/Rigondeaux, or Mares vs Mikey.

Comment

Fantastic. Whatever it takes. I just want to see Rigo fight.

Comment

Now these clowns want to start talking about Rigo and possibilities for opponents when it takes the fighter complaints for them show an ounce of respect.

I don't know how Rigo stood by in silence for so long. The guy is the best in the sport right now and all these guys can do is complain about opponents stylistically for Rigo. Who cares!? It's not Rigo's fault, it's up to the challenger to devise a scheme on how to foil Rigo's plan(s). Instead of bashing Rigo's style and claiming that they don't want to air his fights, just find somebody and keep him active. They're doing an injustice to the sport thinking that if they just shelve Rigo, he'll just go away. Pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            Rigondeaux beats anyone at 122, I don't care who they put him in with. But that would be a good fight for him, collect another title. I'd like to see him go undisputed at 122, Leo Santa Cruz will be moving up in about a year or so probably anyway. This is what's wrong with boxing.

We have so many good fights from 122-126 that aren't being made because of the promotional beef.

Santa Cruz vs Rigondeaux, that'd be a damn good fight. Mares vs Donaire/Rigondeaux, or Mares vs Mikey.
            Santa Cruz won't be at 22 for long and Mares has more interest in moving up than going back down.

Right now its up to Top Rank and HBO to build and scout talent at 122 that put up a good fight against Rigo. If they are not willing to do that then let him go.

But this is a good start and hopefully Romero and Martinez can put on a good show tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
              Now these clowns want to start talking about Rigo and possibilities for opponents when it takes the fighter complaints for them show an ounce of respect.

I don't know how Rigo stood by in silence for so long. The guy is the best in the sport right now and all these guys can do is complain about opponents stylistically for Rigo. Who cares!? It's not Rigo's fault, it's up to the challenger to devise a scheme on how to foil Rigo's plan(s). Instead of bashing Rigo's style and claiming that they don't want to air his fights, just find somebody and keep him active. They're doing an injustice to the sport thinking that if they just shelve Rigo, he'll just go away. Pathetic.
              With Donaire moving up who else they got to showcase at 122?

But at least they got the right idea. The key is to match him up with fighters that engage.

Comment

Romero said a little while ago that he really wanted to fight Rigo, one of the only guys to actually call him out. Romero's size will give Rigo a challenging puzzle to solve.

Comment

Working...
                X