Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Joe Cortez a competent and fair referee?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cortez got the unpopular vote because He didn't allow a street fighter to play his dirty tricks. He didn't allow elbows, shoulders and head butts and campaigned against holding.
    Bottom line is that that's his job, popular or not. The Hall of Fame referee did his job and Maidana didn't. I was afraid He was going to hit me too?? That's a Street Marica statement don't matter how you want to look at the fight.

Comment

If anyone watched the Darchinyan-Mares fight, I'm not sure who the ref was, but that's how it should be. Not only did he let them fight, but he gave them space. Cortez is consistently leaning in and waiting to jump into the action at all times.

Comment

i think he's a ref who looks up to the rule book like his personal bible
        he doesn't allow any illegal tactics whatsoever

tho that DQ with lorenzo was ******ed

so in light of that, he is fair but firm and also incompetent

Comment

First, good fight Khan showed lots of heart. Second they are not going to put Khan in with anymore punchers thats that. Now the ref...he had an agenda it's plan as day, Khan held every time he was hit and Cortez did nothing; Khan kept turning his back so it was his fault he was getting hit behind the head...the elbow I think was thrown and a point should have been taken but Khan was not even warned about the holding...

Comment

refs have off nights just like anyone else....sometimes they miss some stuff & other times they jump the gun & make the wrong call.i think he is pretty good most of the time.steve smoger,kenny bayliss, & arthur mercante .jr are the best refs...imo of course

Comment

cortez fans should ask themselves the following question;

If maidana through 0 punches for 1 minute and 33 seconds while getting bobmed around the ring, would cortez have stopped the fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post

If maidana through 0 punches for 1 minute and 33 seconds while getting bobmed around the ring, would cortez have stopped the fight?
                Exactly Walt. Exactly.

Look at Katsidis, he's got the reputation as a die in the ring type and the ref jumped in after about 30 seconds.

Khan has the reputation of a fragile glass chinned pussy and this guy lets Maidana take 10 years off his life just so he can make it out of the round when he's clearly hurt.

Joke Khortez.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post

i guess it';s possible, maidana was already down and hurt, if it was straight after that and with khans blzaing hands lookin to do more damage than he really is it's possible yea

but why? do you think he would?

Comment

They paid off Cortez, and the judges. Anyone who doesn't see that are lying to themselves.

Comment

Cortez is a good ref anyone who thinks hes crooked is hatin he takes csre of business in the ring snd fighters trust him to make it a fair fight..he does normally tend to break clinches but thats how some refs are.

Comment

Working...
                      X