No announcement yet.

***The Official Book Readers Thread***

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***The Official Book Readers Thread***

What are the last few books you read and what did you think of them?

What are you reading now?

What will you read in the future?

Go.

I read half of To Kill a Mockingbird. It was a major snooze fest where nothing much happened. I may come back to it at a later date.

It is a prime example of something being hyped and hyped and then sucking hard.

I'm currently reading The Undisputed Truth. Mike Tyson was crazy as hell. What a lifestyle. What a man.

I'm also a big Stephen King fan. His collection of four novellas he published about three years ago was good. And the JFK time travel one was super dope. Doctor Sleep was meh. Hard to write a worthy sequel to The Shining.

Okay, your turn.

I love to Kill a mockingbird.

Reading Lord of the Rings. Again.

Comment

And when I remember: a flame of pure fire (Jack Dempsey).

Comment

Currently reading Mockingjay. I'm kind of obsessed with Hunger Games. Next on my list is The Maze Runner by James Dashner and then American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I've had my eye on that one for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyper Knuckles View Post
          Currently reading Mockingjay. I'm kind of obsessed with Hunger Games. Next on my list is The Maze Runner by James Dashner and then American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I've had my eye on that one for awhile.
          Reading between the lines - and helped by your sig - I'm taking that to mean "I'm kind of obsessed with Jennifer Lawrence"?

If so: then touche.

Is it worth reading Mockingjay?

I read Hunger Games and would give it around 7.5/10

Read Catching Fire and was pretty disappointed. To me it was just the same kinda thing all over again. The Hunger Games champion of champions. So decided not to read Mockingjay.

I've heard good thing about Neil Gaiman. Not read any of him yet. Maybe in the future.

Comment

I have read and ranked as follows:

#1 Penmaric (Truly an epic) 10/10
            #2 Kane and Abel 10/10
            #3 Agent Zigzag 9/10
            #4 Girl if the dragon tattoo trilogy 9/10 (the 3rd is better than the 2nd and the 2nd better than the 1st)

I've only read one autobiography, Scartissue. Mind blowing.

I am currently reading sherlock holmes. Just finished the 3rd. Easy read and very well written. I was reading the original james bond series in between sherlock holmes books but the standard of writing between Arthur Conan Doyle and Ian Fleming is vast so I stopped.

READ KANE AND ABEL
            - It is a must read.
            Last edited by Adamjr91; 01-23-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane Man View Post
              Reading between the lines - and helped by your sig - I'm taking that to mean "I'm kind of obsessed with Jennifer Lawrence"?

If so: then touche.

Is it worth reading Mockingjay?

I read Hunger Games and would give it around 7.5/10

Read Catching Fire and was pretty disappointed. To me it was just the same kinda thing all over again. The Hunger Games champion of champions. So decided not to read Mockingjay.

I've heard good thing about Neil Gaiman. Not read any of him yet. Maybe in the future.
              Haha, you caught me. I won't lie, the films(Jennifer) are the only reason I became interested with the franchise in the first place. Having watched both recently, I'm torn between going back and re-reading the first two or simply soldiering through it(I've heard the movies are very faithful adaptations).

As of now I'm on Chapter 7. It's a fun read. The beginning is a little slow but it begins building steam the second Katniss realizes the full scope of what she means to the resistance and the implications it holds for everyone in the book. The premise is different from Collins previous entries in that the stakes are higher now, and the 'game' has become their natural lives. Honestly I'm probably just hoping there's a scene where Jennifer Lawrence gets rammed but I'm only kidding myself.

Neil Gaiman was writer on The Sandman, a comic book series published by Vertigo in the early 90's and a New York Times Best Seller. I strongly encourage you to pick up a trade paperback from the collection. I'm telling you, give it a chance. The art is a little outdated but the writing is so good it will most likely grow on you as it did me. Some people suggest starting at Dollhouse, but if you want to be an overachiever I'd say dive in from the beginning(hell just pick up the first two trades, mine I found in the library) and go from there. It sold me on Gaiman instantly.

I read To Kill A Mockingbird my freshman year in High School. It was an interesting book at the time, but I don't remember being particularly moved by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyper Knuckles View Post
                The first book is by far the best out of the trilogy. Although the last part of mockingjay was the most entertaining section of the series. It starts off slow but once it picks up at around the midway point you won't be able to put it down. I won't spoil the ending , but let's just say it's shocking. I was a bit dissapointed in the first movie , with the exception of Lawrence catching fire more than made up for it though.

I recently read the Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis who is one of my favorite authors.

I'm finishing up Zoo by Patterson which is entertaining and kept me busy during my plane ride.

Comment

Anything by Judy Bloom is good.

Comment

Currently reading Money by Martin Amis. Very funny. Lucky Jim by his dad is up next.

Comment

Working...
                    X