No announcement yet.

Devon Alexander is massively underrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turkas View Post
    Perhaps you should dust off a copy and re watch the fight, it's still fresh in my mind seeing I just watched it yesterday.
    despite the clarity of my recollections of the fight, i took your advice. it was actually a little worse for Devon than i recalled.

my card:

Round 1: 10-9 Kotelnik
    Round 2: 10-9 Alexander
    Round 3: 10-9 Kotelnik
    Round 4: 10-9 Alexander
    Round 5: 10-9 Kotelnik
    Round 6: 10-9 Kotelnik (clearest round so far, Alexander's output slowed relatively and Kotelnik countered him silly in this stanza, even Lederman couldn't miss this)
    Round 7: 10-9 Kotelnik
    Round 8: 10-9 Kotelnik
    Round 9: 10-9 Kotelnik
    Round 10: 10-9 Kotelnik
    Round 11: 10-9 Alexander (Devon was very busy in the first half of the round while Kotelnik did little, but normal order was resumed in the second half with Kotelnik landing the more clean, effective stuff and Alexander just replying with volume of mostly blocked or missed shots - however, on the strength of that first minute and one thirty, I did give this round to Devon as a courtesy)
    Round 12: 10-9 Kotelnik (Devon got tooled up pretty good in this one)

117-111 Kotelnik

10-2 for Alexander in that fight is a travesty, if we're going by the recognized scoring criteria. by that criteria, it should've been wide for Andriy. Lederman even sounded slightly flustered trying to explain his card at the end.

some rather choice audio samples from the telecast:

"It's amazing how many right jabs he (Alexander) lands. And right hooks as well. He's constantly landing that jab."

^^ a shocking revelation of Lederman's poor eyesight, which we were more recently reminded of when he stated that Tim Bradley did not move his head and Manny Pacquiao was thus incapable of missing him with the straight left hand.

yes, let's defer to Lederman, that most distinguished arbiter of clean, effective punching.

HBO's pundits seemed happy with Alexander's round 3, presumably dizzy on the 'punches thrown' stat for Devon, but Alexander's trainer (Kevin Cunningham) seemed less impressed.

"What is you just sitting in front of him for man? You gotta be slipping and sliding if you gonna be in front of this dude, man. Slide around him."

so much for Alexander winning the generalship battle. Devon's own trainer was lamenting how easily Kotelnik was able to cut off and hit him after just 3 rounds (he was singing the same tune for the remainder of the fight).

even the HBO callers had to start seeing it after a while, during a round that i had Alexander winning.

Kellerman: "Another thing Kotelnik's doing is, just by applying pressure... good left hand landed by Kotelnik..."

Papa: "Oh, good uppercut landed by Kotelnik..."

Kellerman: "...just by applying pressure with his hands up, he's forcing to Devon to throw punches that hit air or gloves just to keep Kotelnik off him."

which is what I said here,

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
    Alexander was not the ring-general in that fight. he moved his feet and fists, because that's all he could do against the steady, scientific pressure of Kotelnik, but he didn't move hand or foot to any particular controlling effect.
    and Devon was often being countered hard between his punches while being primarily outjabbed.

Papa: "...you almost get the feeling from his body language that he (Kotelnik) feels in control."

Kellerman: "...might not be impressed with Alexander's defence tonight, some big holes."

by round 6, they were really noticing it.

by round 7, they're trying to rationalize and defend Lederman's awful 5-1 scorecard for him. Papa has it 3-3.

Kellerman: "The jab (of Alexander) isn't landing that much."

Kellerman: "They're landing well (the punches of Kotelnik), they're very well placed."

Papa after round 7, "Alexander threw more, sure, 42 more, but Kotelnik landed more and he used that jab effectively."

Kellerman in round 9, "Kotelnik has exposed some serious defensive flaws in Alexander."

"Control of this fight was lost several rounds ago, and maybe Alexander never really had control."

Papa, after round 9, "You can sense one corner is confident and one is concerned."

Kellerman, round 10, "...for all the shots that we saw Alexander almost landing, that Harold pointed out, we just saw Kotelnik landing 3, 4, 5 clean shots on Alexander's head."

Kellerman: "Kotelnik is doing more damage."

^^ is Lederman so much more the reliable expert than either Kellerman or Papa?

Papa, "...sense of uneasiness from the hometown fans, too."

they needn't worry, Bob, St. Lou got this.

after the 10th, the fighter with the ninja-turtle physique is looking shell-shocked in the corner. Kellerman notes this in the 11th.

Lederman, "Alexander did get hit, but he's winning the rounds because he's the busier guy!"

so, basically, Alexander is losing this fight, but, luckily, he's throwing a lot, so we can still say he's winning. ok.

Kellerman, 11th round, "There's Kotelnik, in between Alexander's business and occasional clean shots, consistently snapping Alexander's head back."

Kellerman, 12th round, "...Alexander's future as an undefeated star is in jeopardy here."

don't be silly, Max, we're in the Lou!

Alexander was the ring-general? really? Kotelnik schooled this guy in boxing, schooled him.

the only thing Andriy couldn't really do was stop Devon in his tracks or buckle him, due to his known lack of punching power. this should not count against him, being that he completely outboxed Alexander.

i enjoyed rewatching the fight, though. fine technical exhibition by Andriy. thanks.

Comment

despite the clarity of my recollections of the fight, i took your advice. it was actually a little worse for Devon than i recalled.

my card:

Round 6: 10-9 Kotelnik (clearest round so far, Alexander's output slowed relatively and Kotelnik countered him silly in this stanza, even Lederman couldn't miss this)
      Round 11: 10-9 Alexander (Devon was very busy in the first half of the round while Kotelnik did little, but normal order was resumed in the second half with Kotelnik landing the more clean, effective stuff and Alexander just replying with volume of mostly blocked or missed shots - however, on the strength of that first minute and one thirty, I did give this round to Devon as a courtesy)

117-111 Kotelnik

10-2 for Alexander in that fight is a travesty, if we're going by the recognized scoring criteria. by that criteria, it should've been wide for Andriy. Lederman even sounded slightly flustered trying to explain his card at the end.

"It's amazing how many right jabs he (Alexander) lands. And right hooks as well. He's constantly landing that jab."

^^ a shocking revelation of Lederman's poor eyesight, which we were more recently reminded of when he stated that Tim Bradley did not move his head and Manny Pacquiao was thus incapable of missing him with the straight left hand.

yes, let's defer to Lederman, that most distinguished arbiter of clean, effective punching.

HBO's pundits seemed happy with Alexander's round 3, presumably dizzy on the 'punches thrown' stat for Devon, but Alexander's trainer (Kevin Cunningham) seemed less impressed.

"What is you just sitting in front of him for man? You gotta be slipping and sliding if you gonna be in front of this dude, man. Slide around him."

so much for Alexander winning the generalship battle. Devon's own trainer was lamenting how easily Kotelnik was able to cut off and hit him after just 3 rounds (he was singing the same tune for the remainder of the fight).

even the HBO callers had to start seeing it after a while, during a round that i had Alexander winning.

Kellerman: "Another thing Kotelnik's doing is, just by applying pressure... good left hand landed by Kotelnik..."

Kellerman: "...just by applying pressure with his hands up, he's forcing to Devon to throw punches that hit air or gloves just to keep Kotelnik off him."

and Devon was often being countered hard between his punches while being primarily outjabbed.

Papa: "...you almost get the feeling from his body language that he (Kotelnik) feels in control."

Kellerman: "...might not be impressed with Alexander's defence tonight, some big holes."

by round 7, they're trying to rationalize and defend Lederman's awful 5-1 scorecard for him. Papa has it 3-3.

Kellerman: "They're landing well (the punches of Kotelnik), they're very well placed."

Papa after round 7, "Alexander threw more, sure, 42 more, but Kotelnik landed more and he used that jab effectively."

Kellerman in round 9, "Kotelnik has exposed some serious defensive flaws in Alexander."

"Control of this fight was lost several rounds ago, and maybe Alexander never really had control."

Papa, after round 9, "You can sense one corner is confident and one is concerned."

Kellerman, round 10, "...for all the shots that we saw Alexander almost landing, that Harold pointed out, we just saw Kotelnik landing 3, 4, 5 clean shots on Alexander's head."

after the 10th, the fighter with the ninja-turtle physique is looking shell-shocked in the corner. Kellerman notes this in the 11th.

Lederman, "Alexander did get hit, but he's winning the rounds because he's the busier guy!"

so, basically, Alexander is losing this fight, but, luckily, he's throwing a lot, so we can still say he's winning. ok.

Kellerman, 11th round, "There's Kotelnik, in between Alexander's business and occasional clean shots, consistently snapping Alexander's head back."

Kellerman, 12th round, "...Alexander's future as an undefeated star is in jeopardy here."

Alexander was the ring-general? really? Kotelnik schooled this guy in boxing, schooled him.

the only thing Andriy couldn't really do was stop Devon in his tracks or buckle him, due to his known lack of punching power. this should not count against him, being that he completely outboxed Alexander.

i enjoyed rewatching the fight, though. fine technical exhibition by Andriy. thanks.
      Very good piece from you there. I havent watched it since it happened, but I had it 118-110 and I think I may have given that eleventh round to Andriy. I also recall Kotelnik being given no chance in that fight beforehand mainly because of the hate for Khan.

He won so damn clearly, an absolute travesty.

Comment

Devons talented but hes boring to watch mathyse beat him and was robbed bradley battered him kotelnik ****ed him up. Mayweather will crucify him. Pacquiao will put him in a box.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
          I believe he is.
          WHAT? What a shock, who would of thought the #3 dick riding floyd stan on this site thinks Floyds latest cherry pick is massively underrated....

Comment

my card:

117-111 Kotelnik

Damn good breakdown. There is zero argument for Alexander winning this fight. Lederman's card was an absolute disgrace.

Comment

He's underrated now in general, because he was so overrated after he stopped Urango.

Still, Floyd should fight Guerrero hopefully. If Alexander were to beat Brook, than get another win over a Top 10 WW or if someone like Khan or Garcia came up in weight and he beat them, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
                WHAT? What a shock, who would of thought the #3 dick riding floyd stan on this site thinks Floyds latest cherry pick is massively underrated....
                Hey stan been awhile. And if you read the floyd threads going on, there are alot cause he is boxing, you'll see that yes i like Alexander but this is a crap fight. But it doesnt matter cause you see Floyd name and the hate in you grows bigger

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310
                  btw, if someone were to be astute in trying to defend Devon, they would at least mention his work to the body against Kotelnik. that is one area where you could boost his case a little.
                  why would me stating he landed a lot of his punches not include his body work?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by turkas View Post
                    why would me stating he landed a lot of his punches not include his body work?
                    from a pro-Alexander perspective, i would've thought it worthwhile to make a distinction, being that the stuff to the body was more consistently accurate. and body-punching is often overlooked, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310
                      Quote:

Originally Posted by turkas

Perhaps you should dust off a copy and re watch the fight, it's still fresh in my mind seeing I just watched it yesterday.

my card:

117-111 Kotelnik

Quote:

Originally Posted by S. Saddler 1310

Alexander was not the ring-general in that fight. he moved his feet and fists, because that's all he could do against the steady, scientific pressure of Kotelnik, but he didn't move hand or foot to any particular controlling effect.

props on the write up, very well done. like i agreed to an argument for Devon losing. coud be made.

I disagree, but we already knew that. Can't give a rd by rd take at the moment, but I will get you my response soon.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                      X