No announcement yet.

Hitting the heavybag without a break

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
    Mr Mayweather does it regularly in fact if you ever get a chance to watch him train live, you will see that myth of 3 minutes on 1 minute off obsolete in that gym. Mayweather is one of the best fighters all time. Keep doing what your doing man. Different strokes for different folks.
    At my gym that recently closed down, everyone would get a break for 30 seconds. But, towards the last few weeks, it was cold and the owner stopped putting the heat on because of the money. Money was the reason he was shutting the place down.

It was so cold in the gym that I could barely catch a sweat. To compensate for that, I'd go through all the bags trying my best not to take a break.

Now that I am temporarily at weight gym that just happens to only have two heavybags, that's all I get to hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
      Lately I've been doing that, I'll go straight through the break, hitting the bag for 20-30 minutes straight.

Is this good for building stamina or am I just tiring myself out unnecessarily?
      You expect us to believe your drunken ass can go 20-30 minutes straight on the heavy bag?

Comment

Lately I've been doing that, I'll go straight through the break, hitting the bag for 20-30 minutes straight.

Is this good for building stamina or am I just tiring myself out unnecessarily?
        That's my favourite part about going to boxing man tbh I could go on a bag all night I love it .My opinion I wouldn't say it's wrong all depends on your goal .If your struggling with intenisty and training to fight tbh you maybe coasting a we bit through them we've been told to hit the bags relentless in my gym and no single shots .

Try this for a 3 minute round if your techniques good it cranks it right up

1. Speed Drill - Throw your punches as fast as possible. A minimum of 4 punches per combination. Develops speed and anaerobic endurance.
        http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym18.htm

Speed Drill - Throw your punches as fast as possible. A minimum of 4 punches per combination. Develops speed and anaerobic endurance.

Outside Drill - Throw your jab and straight power punch combination. Circle and jab. Throw your combination and move. Circle in both directions. Develops footwork and staying power.

Inside Drill - Get in close with hooks and uppercuts. Slip, bob and weave. Develops inside power and stamina.

Change Directions - If you usually circle left, circle right. Throw jabs while mixing in combinations as you move. Develops coordination, endurance and change-up ability.

Jab - Do an entire round with only the jab. Snap out single, double and triple jabs. Mix in feints. Move in both directions. Develops quickness, stamina and coordination.

Comment

Originally posted by dctopboots01 View Post
          I dont care who you are, no1 hits the bag hard and fast 20 mins straight.
          Why you lie?

Just cuz u can't do that don't put that on others.

As to extended hb sessions, I save that for my home gym. I try not to go all out in the boxing gym. I like to hide my capabilities.
          Last edited by Syf; 07-30-2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't mind recording myself and posting a video of it for advice but for obvious reasons I will not.
            Why not?

I was toying with the idea of putting up a video of me Stylin on the bag. Mine would be mayorga Style, with a black n mild ..or perhaps even a blunt. Og style brah.

Can't now though I literally just broke my heavy bag last night. Lmfao

Comment

waste of time, surely more specific to do 3 mins on 1 minute off and visualise the bag as an opponent rather than just freestyling it for 30 minutes

Comment

One of the trainers at my gym was really pissed off at me and another gym mate because we weren't busy enough in our last sparring session with some guys from other gyms.

He punished us.

He made us punch nonstop on the heavy bag for a full 6 rds, 3 minutes each. With a minute break in-between.

Not trying to kill the bag, but punch with good, straight punches, as well as going downstairs. We were focusing on keeping good technique and getting us used to being busy.

Me and him were dead after the 6th round, I actually had to concentrate just to listen to instructions, it was hard for me to simply listen, cuz all I can think about was how tired I was. And we're young guys too in pretty decent shape, we're always in the gym.

My point being, it can be good, if you're keeping technique. I would recommend having a coach watching you to make sure you're keeping your punches tight. I would also recommend taking breaks in between rounds, because your body needs those breaks. We took breaks and were still dead. I can only imagine that you weren't going full out for those 20 -30 minutes and you were slacking on the bag at certain points. Because no one can go non stop on the bag for 20 - 30 minutes straight. Just not possible.

The trainer would yell at me if he saw me getting sloppy. Cuz if you're punching for 20 - 30 minutes, you're gonna get tired, and your form is going to be **** and you won't even know it.

You can't just say, "I'm going to punch for 20 - 30 minutes straight." You have to be smart about it. Because if you're doing it sloppy towards the end, you might as well not do it at all. You need a pair of eyes to watch you. Not just any eyes, but from a trainer or coach who you work with and you can trust. It has to be controlled. And I wouldn't recommend this every training session. You'll just over train and hurt yourself.

Comment

I like to do this as well, actually I like to do this with all my boxing workouts (shadow, heavy bag, speed bag, double end, ect.), no breaks just to get water. I've seen Rigo and Mayweather both train with no to little breaks, so don't listen to guys here saying it must be 3 minute instense rounds with a timed break. I actually hate being timed, annoys me really unless it's sparring. There's not one specific way to train on the heavy bag, so it all depends on what you're working towards, but I'd say it's good to switch it up constantly.
                  Last edited by _original_; 08-06-2016, 01:37 PM.

Comment

If it wasn't true, I wouldn't have said it. I have no reason to try and impress people.

Second, I guess one would have to see me in action to determine exactly how much effort is actually effective.

I wouldn't mind recording myself and posting a video of it for advice but for obvious reasons I will not.
                    Where's the video? The only time you hit the bag is when you're snorting your 6th line for the day

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                      Where's the video? The only time you hit the bag is when you're snorting your 6th line for the day
                      Go wait by the mailbox for your welfare check you bloated imbecile.

Comment

Working...
                      X