No announcement yet.

"The career extender"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by badass316 View Post
    Yeah, how dare he get Marcos Maidana such a lucrative deal in a supposed "career pay day" type of fight while he gets Broner nearly the same amount for fighting Carlos Molina.
    Broner black doe

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
      This is where a promotional banner like the UFC has gotten it right. Making the best fighters fight each other. No one fighter or group of fighters is bigger than the brand. Much like the NFL. It's the brand that sells. Boxing has no brand; no unifying governing authority.
      It's funny that you'd mention UFC, when it's far worse than the state of boxing.

When you're the only promotional company of value, it is very easy to trick people into thinking ''the best are fighting the best''. People have grown accustomed to believing the only relevant fighters are under the UFC name.

That delusion doesn't exist in boxing, where people are able to look at the sport and not the actual promotional company. The fact that mma is refereed to as UFC proves my point. For **** to be like UFC, people would have to start calling boxing Top Rank ( or Golden Boy).

**** that shit.
      When lucrative deal getting trumps the best fights from being made then yes, how dare he. More $ would be generated with more competitive fights.
      Actually it wouldn't be generated with more competitive fights, not in this era anyway. Using Pacquiao as an example; when he was on a hot streak, his numbers were at an all time high, but the moment he got knocked the **** out in a competitive fight, his numbers diminished.

There are numerous competitive fights in boxing, but people are more interested in dominance.

And no. His job as a manager is to secure his fighters the best deal. It's not for me to you to say, ''he should throw his fighter under the bus to give the fans what they want''. If the fans don't like the product, they don't have to buy the product.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
        It's funny that you'd mention UFC, when it's far worse than the state of boxing.

When you're the only promotional company of value, it is very easy to trick people into thinking ''the best are fighting the best''. People have grown accustomed to believing the only relevant fighters are under the UFC name.

That delusion doesn't exist in boxing, where people are able to look at the sport and not the actual promotional company. The fact that mma is refereed to as UFC proves my point. For **** to be like UFC, people would have to start calling boxing Top Rank ( or Golden Boy).

**** that shit.

Actually it wouldn't be generated with more competitive fights, not in this era anyway. Using Pacquiao as an example; when he was on a hot streak, his numbers were at an all time high, but the moment he got knocked the **** out in a competitive fight, his numbers diminished.

There are numerous competitive fights in boxing, but people are more interested in dominance.
        For your last point, I, like many diehard fans, want nothing but competitive fights. I also feel your point about the ufc is conjecture. Bellator recently had a successful ppv, the ufc is on almost weekly over a family of networks, and MMA has been a staple in japan for years. MMA is MMA and boxing is boxing. Boxing is the lone sport with no centralized authority. Where there is no centralized authority and regulation, corruption runs rampant.

Comment

PBC owns boxing.

Comment

I don't think the fighters think he's ruining boxing. In the end, boxing is boxing. Haymon makes some good fights, he also makes some duds. No difference from every other promoter. He's not going anywhere so everyone might as well get used to him. He does plenty of good for boxing as well. No1 likes to point that out though. For the first time in years, we have boxing just about every month. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing to so called boxing fans but apparently it is. Go figure

Comment

Working...
            X