Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Were Cus D'Amato's Thoughts On Roberto Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Were Cus D'Amato's Thoughts On Roberto Duran?

Anyone know what Cus thought about Duran and how great did he feel he was?

Yes.....Here's D'Amato in his own words on Roberto Duran's greatness at Lightweight and how he stacks up with the fellow all time great Lightweights.

While Duran may have been outstanding in his time, there is no comparison with the type of opposition he faced as compared to the others. He had much fewer top-class fighters to box. My choices of all time Lightweights, not neccessarilly in order
    Benny Leonard-Great boxer, great puncher. His record speaks for itself. He was not a managed fighter, but fought anyoine and anywere, and as many as a dozen times. Almost invariably the winner. He would be to smart and punch to hard for Duran''.
    Tony Canzoneri-Great boxer, good puncher, great record, with the heart of a lion'' He could do it all and had to since his manager fed him the toughest in their own hometowns. Canzoneri by decision
    Henry Amstrong-The one and only. At his best seemingly unbeatable. Amstrong threw too many punchers and applied too much pressure, with the heart of a lion, Amstrong the winner.
    Barney Ross-A great boxer, not too much of a puncher and game. A toss up with Duran
    Jimmy McLarnin Lots of heart, great puncher and boxer. As a 16 year old, he beat Fidel LeBarba and the best in that flyweight division and all the divsions he boxed in. I like McLarnin against Duran
    Joe Gans I never saw him, but on his record in those days ranks with Leonard and the best. ''Must pick him over Duran
    Kid Lavigne-Although I never saw him. I have discussed him and Gans with sevarel people who did, and had keen judgment I respected. I must puck him over Duran
    Of the ones named, only Ross and McLarnin were managed fighters, the others were thrown in with the wolves and survived. They missed no one in their class and often fought welters and some times middles and light heavies
    Last edited by JFBH_162; 01-29-2010, 10:10 PM.

Comment

^^^^^ What a great post. Thanks alot!

Comment

I got the feeling Cus, wasnt Duran's biggest fan!

Comment

any1 agree? lol

Comment

Cus really underrated Duran in those quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
              I don't think he is underrating him. But this goes back to something I said the other day.....The more you know about other fighters and their era's, the easier it is to question any fighter's historical ranking. That is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
                no everything sounds about right

LW is such a deep wieght class, historically. No fighter should be ashamed to be floating around the mid teens on a LW ATG list

Comment

Originally posted by JFBH_162 View Post
                  Yes.....Here's D'Amato in his own words on Roberto Duran's greatness at Lightweight and how he stacks up with the fellow all time great Lightweights.
                  Great quotes, where did you get them from?

Comment

Working...
                  X