Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Marquez too small for Floyd or not skilled enough?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
    not true....
    and why is that...?

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
      not true....
      yeah right Marquez and Floyd is on two diffrent levels

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamut Zero View Post
        Floyd fought a past prime Marquez that was too slow and too small at welterweight, but it could've been a closer fight if Mayweather opted to trade and be more agressive.
        Yeah,Thats when marquez is at his best,Fighting a agressive fighter.

Comment

Way too small IMO.

Comment

Both. He doesn't have as many skills to start with but the added weight made him completely unable to compete. If a prime 130 Mayweather and a prime 130 Marquez met, it wouldn't be nearly that one-sided.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti~Jalandoni View Post
              ..ow yes....but floyd was more of a defensive fighter rather than pacquiao who has more workrate compared to floyd......no chance for marquez to counter....
              That's my point bro. If ONLY Floyd opens up and be the seeker JMM would have troubled him from post to post...but it played the other way, the smaller man chased a chicken instead of the bigger Floyd imposing himself on the smaller JMM. JMM could still lose though but not that huge...

Comment

It doesn't matter where this fight is. Mayweather outclasses JMM every time.

So what if Marquez is quicker and more live at the lighter weights, Floyd will actually break a sweat this time.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  no it doesn't. look at the way manny schooled oscar shows the talent gap between him and floyd? same with hatton. just wrong. manny never fought a marquez who weighed in 144 at the weigh in. weighing that much slowed marquez down and made him ineffective. there is a reason he fought at 126 and 130 his whole career. and if manny was allowed to weigh in at 146 against marquez oh boy you better believe he would ktfo him and humiliate floyd again.
                  When I look at boxing,I look at the styles,habits,etc of both boxers-tell me what Marquez could have done to make it competitive even if he retained all of his skills moving up???It shows the TALENT gap-also skill difference of Manny and Floyd.It is not an insult to Manny,but a comparison of how they successfully handled and approached their opponents styles.
                  As far as the difference between Floyd/ Manny's fights with Oscar and Hatton-let's not forget that Mayweather laid out the blueprint to beat Hatton (and beat an undefeated and confident version),and Ricky was not the same afterwards.If you don't believe this,tell me one fighter with a decent left hand that Ricky looked good against in following fights.You are comparing power (Manny) against pure boxing skills (Floyd) in this fight.It is subjective-if you like someone who has power,but only one game plan-I am sure Manny is your style.Some purists do like to see ko's,but also like to see opponents being broken down.At the end of the day,Floyd still defeated them.
                  As far as the comparison of fights with Oscar,can you really name many advantages Floyd had as opposed to Manny?Oscar was at a comfortable weight with Mayweather with smaller gloves and his skills hadn't severely slipped with Floyd.By the time he had fought Manny,he was severely weight drained to the point that he had to have an iv just to rehydrate himself (Freddie Roach pointed this out).As well as that,he had sustained a right arm/shoulder injury before the fight with Manny (I believe around the previous Forbes fight).If you look at his previous fight with Steve Forbes,you will see a De La Hoya that was getting older in skills and looked like the loser in that fight-he got tagged quite a bit by a guy who was much smaller.Do you think the Oscar that Floyd fought would have quit against Manny and not throw a single meaningful punch???
                  To finish this,the version of Marquez that Floyd fought was MUCH better than the version of Oscar that Manny fought, lets not use that comparison.It only shows that moving DOWN in weight effects fighters more severely than moving up.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    Both. He doesn't have as many skills to start with but the added weight made him completely unable to compete. If a prime 130 Mayweather and a prime 130 Marquez met, it wouldn't be nearly that one-sided.
                    I think it would. 130 Marquez was still roughed up and dropped by Barrera. JMM is easy to hit. When he can't counter off of your punches then he's pretty ordinary.

Master counter puncher yes, when his opponent can not only avoid his counters, but counter his counters then he's in deep ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker View Post
                      What do you think?
                      he was too fat

Comment

Working...
                      X