Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sactown Results: Jorge Linares Decisions Velazquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see Linares get the win. Does anyone know if Jorge got cut in the fight? Or was he able to make it through without getting cut open?

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
      I felt as if Kamegai won 8-2 or 7-3.... I was disappointed in him. At some moments he defense looked phenominal, at other times he was committing some serious no-no's in boxing. I hope he doesn't end up like Hozumi Hasegawa and becomes an amazing attacker, but an awful defender. If he fixes his defense and plants his feet a little better I think we've got a good fighter on our hands.
      One of the better moments for him was when he dodged like 7 straight punches ducking and dodging and then responded himself.... of course that wasn't present most the fight, but I was still impressed with that.
      I agree with your post though.

Comment

Originally posted by JKidd2624 View Post
        Good to see Linares get the win. Does anyone know if Jorge got cut in the fight? Or was he able to make it through without getting cut open?
        I didn't see him cut [I was back and forth between that fight and WV2]. He boxed well... A lot of movement, but he went to the body and strung some punches together and when he used the jab, it would land.

I liked how he was using the left uppercut-straight right designed for lefties, though. It worked well.

Comment

I will tell you the biggest problem with Linares. He's an excellent boxer, great athlete. His problem is that he tends to pot shot you and then when he does throw a nice combo, he ends it by standing right in front of his opponents with his hands up.

He allows them to answer back, instead of moving out of range and distance. It's weird, he just lands and then sits there like "ok now it's your turn".

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            I will tell you the biggest problem with Linares. He's an excellent boxer, great athlete. His problem is that he tends to pot shot you and then when he does throw a nice combo, he ends it by standing right in front of his opponents with his hands up.

He allows them to answer back, instead of moving out of range and distance. It's weird, he just lands and then sits there like "ok now it's your turn".
            I watched the fight with DeMarco in slow motion and I came to the conclusion that Freddie Roach teaches guys to not punch through the target. Linares is a product of the false notion that "snapping" your punches is all that matters.

Its a teaching that turns guys that don't have the kind of naturally heavy hands like Pacquiao into feather fisted fighters.

Amir Khan had a reputation as a punched before getting with Freddie. Now... he is a pitty patter as well. Freddie seems to want to turn guys into guys that move, and throw lots of fast, but not very hard shots.

He was hitting DeMarco with every punch in the book, but DeMarco's head never snapped back or was turned with any force because Linares brought his hands back as soon as he made contact, he never punched through the target.

If someone can get rid of all the crap Freddie taught him, he will be alright.

He's very odd because in one fight his defense looks brilliant, then in the next, he there to be hit with ever punch you throw at him.

Comment

Originally posted by JKidd2624 View Post
              He got cut over the left eye.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                I watched the fight with DeMarco in slow motion and I came to the conclusion that Freddie Roach teaches guys to not punch through the target. Linares is a product of the false notion that "snapping" your punches is all that matters.

Its a teaching that turns guys that don't have the kind of naturally heavy hands like Pacquiao into feather fisted fighters.

Amir Khan had a reputation as a punched before getting with Freddie. Now... he is a pitty patter as well. Freddie seems to want to turn guys into guys that move, and throw lots of fast, but not very hard shots.

He was hitting DeMarco with every punch in the book, but DeMarco's head never snapped back or was turned with any force because Linares brought his hands back as soon as he made contact, he never punched through the target.

If someone can get rid of all the crap Freddie taught him, he will be alright.

He's very odd because in one fight his defense looks brilliant, then in the next, he there to be hit with ever punch you throw at him.
                I have been a boxing trainer for a very long time and very few teach to "punch through their targets" that is more in Martial Arts.

If you watch Floyd Mayweather for example, he "touches" Roger Mayweather when they are doing mitts, that's for proper distance. Power comes from the end of your punch, not from punching through your target. That is a major misconception.

You actually don't want to over extend yourself because if you miss, you will be off balance and open for a counter shot. Now I'm not saying you don't punch when the target is closer than arms length, in that case you try and punch "through your target" so to speak but that's not the reason Linares didn't knock the dude out.

The guy he faced tonight has a great chin, he has 50+ fights and goes rounds. Same with Demarco, another tough guy.

I just think Linares problem is he gets into this "sparring partner syndrome" as we like to call it in boxing. He lands a great combo then just watches or puts his hands up as if to say "your turn" it's very strange.

Comment

I would only like to see Linares on GBP PPV undercards.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                    I have been a boxing trainer for a very long time and very few teach to "punch through their targets" that is more in Martial Arts.

If you watch Floyd Mayweather for example, he "touches" Roger Mayweather when they are doing mitts, that's for proper distance. Power comes from the end of your punch, not from punching through your target. That is a major misconception.

You actually don't want to over extend yourself because if you miss, you will be off balance and open for a counter shot. Now I'm not saying you don't punch when the target is closer than arms length, in that case you try and punch "through your target" so to speak but that's not the reason Linares didn't knock the dude out.

The guy he faced tonight has a great chin, he has 50+ fights and goes rounds. Same with Demarco, another tough guy.

I just think Linares problem is he gets into this "sparring partner syndrome" as we like to call it in boxing. He lands a great combo then just watches or puts his hands up as if to say "your turn" it's very strange.
                    There is a difference between touching mitts, and touching faces. Its disrespectful to try and break your trains hands or jack up their wrists if you hit the pad off center.

I know you like to pretend you are superior to everyone. You are not the only one here who has been in the gym every day for years.

Obviously, snapping punches is good. But there is a difference between snapping a punch too a target, and pulling it back before you have had a chance to transfer any energy into the target, and punching through a target, and transferring as much energy as possible.

The first style leads to lot of fighters fighting with loose fists, with a focus on speed.

You see it a lot in countries with well developed amateur programs. Its not slap boxing, obviously, but its not punching with bad intentions in the least bit.

Obviously not every punch needs to be thrown with bad intentions, but if you don't make your guy respect you, you end up like Linares and Kahn, hoping your speed will scare them away.

You contrast that style with fighters from countries with less developed amateur programs like Mexico, and you get fighters who are raised more in the professional ranks than in the amateurs, and as a result, they learn to punch through the target.

Obviously its none of that martial arts crap, Manny Steward teaching the same concept to his fighters, and talks about punching through the target frequently in broadcasts.

Its trying to snap your punches through their face into the back of their head as opposed to at their face.

Here is a quote from Manny Steward speaking martial arts mumbojumbo.

Seth Mitchell, no they won't move him that fast yet, you know he's really not ready to fight for the heavyweight championship, but I think his people behind him are doing a doing a great job and making him being the HBO Heavyweight Champion to America, keeping him very busy, a very interesting guy, that I like personally; he fights like a heavyweight, he punches through his targets and he comes out and lets his missile go early in the fight, without waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn
                      Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520

There is a difference between touching mitts, and touching faces. Its disrespectful to try and break your trains hands or jack up their wrists if you hit the pad off center.

I know you like to pretend you are superior to everyone. You are not the only one here who has been in the gym every day for years.

Obviously, snapping punches is good. But there is a difference between snapping a punch too a target, and pulling it back before you have had a chance to transfer any energy into the target, and punching through a target, and transferring as much energy as possible.

The first style leads to lot of fighters fighting with loose fists, with a focus on speed.

You see it a lot in countries with well developed amateur programs. Its not slap boxing, obviously, but its not punching with bad intentions in the least bit.

Obviously not every punch needs to be thrown with bad intentions, but if you don't make your guy respect you, you end up like Linares and Kahn, hoping your speed will scare them away.

You contrast that style with fighters from countries with less developed amateur programs like Mexico, and you get fighters who are raised more in the professional ranks than in the amateurs, and as a result, they learn to punch through the target.

Obviously its none of that martial arts crap, Manny Steward teaching the same concept to his fighters, and talks about punching through the target frequently in broadcasts.

Its trying to snap your punches through their face into the back of their head as opposed to at their face.

Here is a quote from Manny Steward speaking martial arts mumbojumbo.

Quote:

Seth Mitchell, no they won't move him that fast yet, you know he's really not ready to fight for the heavyweight championship, but I think his people behind him are doing a doing a great job and making him being the HBO Heavyweight Champion to America, keeping him very busy, a very interesting guy, that I like personally; he fights like a heavyweight, he punches through his targets and he comes out and lets his missile go early in the fight, without waiting.
                      You seem very angry, i was just making a point and you can hit hard without necessarily punching through your target.

I train at a pro gym now and i personally have never heard of a trainer teach to punch through targets. I understand what you mean but I also have a lot of respect for Freddie Roach and to think for one second that he doesnt teaches fighters if to punch hard is absolutely rediculous. Freddie Roach is a great trainer and the trainer who showed him, Eddie Futch is even a greater trainer. So to disrespect roach is to disrespect Eddie Futch.

I don't claim to know everything or be superior to anyone else. I just have heard that term punching through your target many times and it's not really applicable in boxing terms. You can generate power at the end of your punch.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                      X