Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is it possible for fighters to rehydrate 15-20lbs on fight night?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is it possible for fighters to rehydrate 15-20lbs on fight night?

I always wondered this myself and people don't seem to talk about it much. Pac has been at about 144 on fight night since he was fighting at 130. Paul Williams weighed in at 3 pounds short of the smw limit when he walked into the ring against Quintana at ww, that 17 ****ing pounds. Clottey claims to be at 170 on fight night. I remember Mayorga making the same claim before one of his recent fights, don't remember which though.

My questions is simple, is this normal? and how is it physically possible without having a negative effect on your performance?

Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post
    I always wondered this myself and people don't seem to talk about it much. Pac has been at about 144 on fight night since he was fighting at 130. Paul Williams weighed in at 3 pounds short of the smw limit when he walked into the ring against Quintana at ww, that 17 ****ing pounds. Clottey claims to be at 170 on fight night. I remember Mayorga making the same claim before one of his recent fights, don't remember which though.

My questions is simple, is this normal? and how is it physically possible without having a negative effect on your performance?
    It's very normal in boxing.

I've gone from weighing in at 122, to weighing like 145 about 5 days after.

Comment

dude , everyone cuts weight for every fight in the modern era.

usually around 10 pounds for most. sometimes 15 or even 20 for others.

guys come in at featherweight weighing like a lightweight.

guys come in at lightweight weighing like a welterweight.

and so on. usually a guy will come in the ring 1-3 divisions above the division he's fighting in.

Comment

Originally posted by RTS View Post
        It's very normal in boxing.

I've gone from weighing in at 122, to weighing like 145 about 5 days after.
        yup. wrestlers are even worse.

cutting 15-20 lbs. is nothing for wrestlers.

Comment

I know mma fighters have no problem loosing 15-30 pounds. I am not sure if boxers are that big on dehydrating themselves. It's not good for your stamina.

I wish they would show there weights at Fight Night more often.

Comment

They gain weight by eating all the can those who gains the most are so drained that they get lots of IV's.

Comment

Boxers dehydrate themselves to make weight.. MOST of that weight is water weight.. Weight urself before a workout, then after, if you sweat you'll have lost a couple of pounds..

They drain to get down, then after the weigh in, they drink fluids and eat and are at a normal weight again..

Comment

Originally posted by Stay Puft View Post
                yup. wrestlers are even worse.

cutting 15-20 lbs. is nothing for wrestlers.
                So I hear.

One tournament I was in, I didn't think I was fighting on the first round, I thought I was going straight to the semi finals which wasn't for 2 weeks. Found out the morning of the tournament that I was fighting at 12 in the afternoon that day.

Sauna suit + abdolene and I lost 7 pounds that morning.

Comment

clottey has come in for WW fights at 168-170 before...

Comment

I know it's normal, but i'm use to seeing 10 pound difference after 24 hours. I didn't know it was possible to lose 20 pounds of water and gain it back in 1 day.

Comment

Working...
                    X