No announcement yet.

Chicanos, Mexican American, Mexican, Hispanic, Latino...etc

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicanos, Mexican American, Mexican, Hispanic, Latino...etc

Chicanos, Mexican American, Mexican, Hispanic, Latino...

What do these terms mean to you? define them for us.....

Mexican:

Mexican American:

Chicano:

Pocho:

Hispanic:

Latino:

Immigrant:

Illegal Alien:

wachugot?
    Last edited by extracurRICular; 03-14-2014, 11:00 AM.

Mexican: people from mexico

Mexican American: mexican born in the usa

Chicano: mexican american, or pocho

Hispanic: spanish speaking people from latin america

Latino: people from latin america

Immigrant: border hopper lol

Illegal Alien: no green card

Comment

Mexican: Born in Mexico

Mexican American: Never used this term

Chicano: Never used this term or plan on using it

Hispanic: Someone from a Spanish speaking country

Latino: Latin origin

Immigrant: Someone who moved to a different country

Illegal Alien: Undocumented status

wachugot?

Comment

We are not Latinos, I don't speak Latin and don't come from the Latin speaking area of Europe.

I'm Chicano/Mexican/Mexican American/Hispanic. Any of those 4 are correct.

Comment

Im Mexican! Raised in Cali but born in Mexico. I have dual citizenship..

Comment

My question is "what do we call a person, of Mexican descent, who is born in the United States? He cant be Mexican anymore because he is not of that nationality.

I don't like the hyphenated term Mexican American. Why don't all white people hyphenate their descent like German-American, Irish American, French American, Polish American?

Is there like a general rule that after a certain generation we stop using hyphenated terms like that or does the person have to totally assimilated in the "American Culture" and denounce or forget their descent completely to be accepted?

My kids are still called Mexican when they were not born in Mexico, don't speak Spanish much and are pretty much assimilated to the American culture.

Comment

Originally posted by RIZO24 View Post
              Im Mexican! Raised in Cali but born in Mexico. I have dual citizenship..
              I just got my dual citizenship a while back. I went to the Mexican embassy and they looked at my crazy when I was there to become a citizen of Mexico, not the other way around...hahah

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                We are not Latinos, I don't speak Latin and don't come from the Latin speaking area of Europe.

I'm Chicano/Mexican/Mexican American/Hispanic. Any of those 4 are correct.
                wasn't looking to label any one individual....(sounds like someone has a bit of a chip on they shoulder) but I digress.....I was merely asking....what to do those terms used in today's lexicon (at lest in our american geocentric... or rather egocentric society)mean to YOU the individual....care to give it another go?

Comment

Mexican: Mexican citizen/Mexican national

Mexican American: American citizen/American national of Mexican heritage/descent/lineage, etc.

Chicano: A Mexican-American subculture. I admire Chicano. To me it is a mindset and is NOT determined by where your parent(s) were born. I have some white boy friends with no Mexican lineage at all that are more Chicano then some of those whose family actually came from Mexico. Chicano is a man or woman of substance. One who isn't defined by where he comes from, nor where he lives (From neither here nor there) but rather defined by his character (or lack there of), Mexican nationals (who usually have lived in the US most of their lives anyways) might call it an identity crisis, but I call it being real, chicano.

Hispanic: of Spanish speaking lineage, this includes Spaniard, Argentine, Chilean, Mexican, Cuban, Colombian, etc. etc. etc.

Latino: Of any of the Latin derived language speakers which includes Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, and of course, Latin itself. That's what it is supposed to mean anyway, however you will seldom see any Spaniards, Italians, Fenchies, Portuguese, actually call themselves Latino, so Latino has become pretty much someone whose ancestry came from any part of the "Latin American Continent" including north, central, and south america.

Immigrant: Foreigner living in another country LEGALLY

Illegal Alien: Foreigner living in another county ILLEGALLY. I never use this term though, I would replace Alien with Immigrant.
                  Last edited by EdWins; 03-14-2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MEXGBP View Post
                    Mexican: people from mexico

Mexican American: mexican born in the usa

Chicano: mexican american, or pocho

Hispanic: spanish speaking people from latin america

Latino: people from latin america

Immigrant: border hopper lol

Illegal Alien: no green card
                    I shoulda added Pocho to the original list....(just did)

Comment

Working...
                    X