Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just rewatched Floyd vs Guerrero, Floyd is declining and will lose before he retires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    I certainly agree with Guerrero did a bit better than people might like to make out. I also felt a lot of his bodyshots went unnoticed.

Canelo will not do as good as Guerrero did though IMHO
    Guerrero's a southpaw, he has faster feet & let his hands go. He took risks, too many in fact and Canelo just isn't that fighter.
    Hes flat-footed as you can get and way too patient. Floyds going to pick that kid apart like nobodies business. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Gatti all over again.
    Sorry but I don't see him doing a Gatti lol. I agree that Canelo is way too patient though but he's very talented and has a very good defense, he also hits a lot harder and has much better handspeed than Guerrero. I agree that his feet are a bit too slow though.

Comment

Originally posted by Saul_Good View Post
      4 rounds? That's awfully generous.

I think I know what you mean though. Floyd's fight with Corrales showed us how he likes to use those four corners to avoid heavy hitters. Cotto had success by cutting Floyd off and get his work in against the ropes since Floyd couldn't escape.

It looked like Floyd was trying to use those same movements in the Guerrero fight, and you could make the argument that his lateral skills are on the decline, but a loss doesn't seem too likely on the horizon in my opinion. Not simply because of that.

Now maybe if him and Matthysse......
      Floyd shows shorter fighters no mercy sorry but I can't see Matthysse beating him, And yeah it's that fighters see to be cutting the ring off better against Floyd, I noticed it in the Ortiz fight, Ortiz also did a lot better than people give him credit for and was troubling Floyd before he lost his mind. Canelo has good head movement and lateral movement and his power at jr middleweight is pretty good, I think he has a good chance

Comment

Guerrero is vastly underrated on here.

Comment

Floyd will be 37 next year so I would say he's declining

Comment

Of Course he is Declining he is almost 40! You did not discover anything new...how ever a declining Mayweather is still Head And Shoulder Above the current fighters today that he still can find a way to win against these Current Era of Fighters.

It is a style that can defeat Mayweather but all the fighters you casual fans want to see him fight they don't have the style to defeat even a OLD Mayweather

You don't defeated a Chess Master with Good Checker Players, your going to need another good Chess Master and lucky for Mayweather all of the other fellow Chess Masters (Like A Rigondeaux! Andre Ward!) are far from his Division

Oscar was the last to be effect against Mayweather but people forget that Oscar was a Chess Player, Oscar had damn good Boxing Skills, he naturally had a Jab, Oscar has good footwork and his Defense was very underrated...but those wasn't just things he just learned for the Mayweather fight those are things he did well naturally during his career!
            Last edited by sicko; 09-09-2013, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeepItObjective View Post
              Everyone seemed to worship Mayweather after this performance but I have to say I'm not wholly convinced. Guerrero of course was simply overmatched in speed, reflexes, power etc, he had only 2 previous fights at 147 and was the naturally smaller guy.

In the first 2 rounds Floyd definitely showed a lot of ring rust, Guerrero tried to let Floyd press the action instead of applying tons of pressure like many other Floyd opponents, and he was successful in landing some good counter body shots.

After that Floyd shook off the rust and overmatched him with his superior speed and reflexes but it's hard to describe what I saw but something was missing with Floyd, his punches were sharp but he seems to get trapped a lot more than usual and I saw some of the issues he had with Cotto in this fight. I can't quite pin down what it is but I see decline, It's the body movement I think, the lateral movement just doesn't seem to be as crispy .

Guerrero did some good work on the inside when he could and I think his body shots were impressive, he didn't jab enough and should have basically focused on the counter shots to the body throughout the fight and jabbing upstairs. I actually give more credit to Guerrero after re watching the fight and I think he did really well for his level of ability and for the attributes he possesses, I gave him 4 rounds.
              He doesn't move anymore like he did against Chico and others. He's 36 years old. He has declined in some areas, and gained in others.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                Guerrero is vastly underrated on here.
                really name some top fighters that he has beaten. has he ever beaten the best guy in a division? no. second best? no. third best? no. he won his featherweight title off eric aiken who won the title because the other guy was dq'd for low blows. then he defended it against guys like jason litzau. he won his 130 belt off malcolm klassen. don't need to explain that. probably his best win. says it all. moved up to fight katsidis. human punch bag. moved up to fight shot casamayor and got dropped. moved up to fight terrible aydin and overrated berto. where are the good fighters? i'm seeing a lot of fringe guys spread across 5 division but no one really good. looks to me like he's completely overhyped. just a division hopper who didn't fight anyone elite in any division except salido and mayweather who both destroyed him.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                  Of Course he is Declining he is almost 40! You did not discover anything new...how ever a declining Mayweather is still Head And Shoulder Above the current fighters today that he still can find a way to win against these Current Era of Fighters.

It is a style that can defeat Mayweather but all the fighters you casual fans want to see him fight they don't have the style to defeat even a OLD Mayweather

You don't defeated a Chess Master with Good Checker Players, your going to need another good Chess Master and lucky for Mayweather all of the other fellow Chess Masters (Like A Rigondeaux! Andre Ward!) are far from his Division

Oscar was the last to be effect against Mayweather but people forget that Oscar was a Chess Player, Oscar had damn good Boxing Skills, he naturally had a Jab, those wasn't just things he just learned for the Mayweather fight
                  Canelo is a good chess player, better than those you listed bar Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by KeepItObjective View Post
                    Canelo is a good chess player, better than those you listed bar Mayweather.
                    We Will Find Out Saturday but I think your reaching BIG TIME calling Canelo a "Chess Player"

Comment

well of course he's declining. He's clearly past his prime but he is still the best fighter today.

Comment

Working...
                      X