Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did the Canadain Fans support duran over leonard in Montreal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did the Canadain Fans support duran over leonard in Montreal?

Leonard thought he would have the crowds support because of the olympics but he did not. Any thoughts why?

racism???????

Comment

Duran is from Canada? Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
        racism???????

I didn't want to say it, but I believe that to be true. Plus they were probably sick of all the angelic Gold Medalist hype being shoved down their throats.

Comment

Duran was very popular around the world as lightweight champ. Sugar Ray was a "golden boy" and hyped star(though he lived up to the hype). It wasn't unexpected. Some of the crowd probably did support Leonard due to his Gold medal in Canada and tv appearances but much of the crowd supported the warrior and probable underdog in Duran.

Comment

Leonard was the favorite out of Vegas at 9-5 because Duran was coming from the lightweigh division and was figured to be much smaller. When they got in the ring Duran was just shorter not smaller, his legs were trim and muscular and his broad shoulders had extra muscle on them compared to holding 135lbs.
            I had a great night, our live show fighters all won and I cleaned up against the guys from Hartford who had Leonard. Good times!!! Ray

Comment

I do not think racism played into at all. People do cheer for the underdogs and roberto wore a shirt with bonjour montreal on it whenever he was training or out in public. His corner also unveiled a Quebec flag in the ring.

Comment

Leonard was a pretty boy, Duran was a gritty "blue collar" fighter; although Leonard was undefeated, it was with fewer fights under his belt, while Duran, more popular worldwide, had only one defeat in far more fights and an impressive KO record.

Not only against Leonard, Duran's popularity should not be understimated. In almost every venue and against major opponents(Moore, Barkley, Hagler, et al), Duran was the crowd favorite. To this day, he remains one of the more popular figures the sport has ever seen.
                Last edited by Panamaniac; 09-08-2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Fans always root for the underdog, besides, the fight was four years after the Olympics, all the hype and excitement surrounding Leonard's medal win would have long gone

Comment

Working...
                  X