Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“BELIEVE IT OR NOT” BLACK FIGHTERS DON’T DRAW! ,, (by Pedro Fernandez)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “BELIEVE IT OR NOT” BLACK FIGHTERS DON’T DRAW! ,, (by Pedro Fernandez)

“BELIEVE IT OR NOT” BLACK FIGHTERS DON’T DRAW!
    October 10th, 2011
    By Pedro Fernandez

Bernard Hopkins-Chad Dawson
    “BELIEVE IT OR NOT” TWO BLACK GUYS TOP LOS ANGELES CARD

San Francisco, CA- Having been at this a while, I am always questioning the motives and intentions of both promoters and fighters alike. That is what makes me different from the norm, as in some instances I just throw out the “who, what, where and when” format journalism is based on and head in another direction.

That being said, I am beyond perplexed that reigning World light heavyweight (175 lbs) champ Bernard Hopkins (52-5-2, 32 KOs) will meet Chad Dawson (30-1, 17 KOs) in the City of Angels, Los Angeles, CA this Saturday night on an HBO telecast emanating from the Staples Center on a card that is dubbed, “Believe It Or Not.”

BLACKS DON’T DRAW OR BUY DUCATS UNLESS…

Fighters of African-American descent that can draw a huge gate are a rarity. Right now, I can already hear the seething of Blacks thinking that I’m taking a shot at them ethnically from the headline of this paragraph. But it is true, Bernard Hopkins couldn’t draw, not unless he was fighting Oscar De La Hoya or Felix Trinidad.

If you attended any of Hopkins’ defenses of the middleweight title, you know where I’m coming from. Oh, there are exceptions, Muhammad Ali, Ray Leonard and Mike Tyson could sell out arenas, regardless of whom they were fighting. Evander Holyfield and George Foreman, not so much. The only African-American fighter that can pack a joint today is Floyd Mayweather!

DAWSON COULDN’T DRAW 35 MILES FROM HOME

In 2009, Dawson took on Glen Johnson in Hartford, CT, which is roughly 35 miles from his home of New Haven, CT and reportedly drew less than 1,000 paid. Hopkins on the other hand, I can’t think of a time when he sold out any arena, ever, on his own, not even fighting near his home base of Philadelphia, PA.

CAN ONLY MEXICAN STARS DRAW IN LOS ANGELES?

There are two Mexican fighters on the bill, the first is Mexican national Antonio DeMarco (25-2-1, 18 KOs) of Tijuana taking on Jorge Linares (31-1, 20 KOs) of Venezuela. The second, Orlando Mora (28-1-1, 19 KOs) of Culiacan, will face Brooklyn’s Paulie Malignaggi (29-4, 6 KOs).

Neither Mora or DeMarco are really big names, so what is the lure hear to get Mexican’s to buy tickets that top off at $300 and bottom out at $25?

Unbeaten Mexican sensation Saul Alvarez had a great crowd at the Staples Center a fortnight ago when HBO split the Floyd Mayweather-Victor Ortiz Pay Per View card that resulted in Floyd putting out Ortiz in Las Vegas, while Alvarez stopped Alfonso Gomez at the Staples Center.

SO WHY IS THE AFOREMENTIONED TRUE?

When I promoted cards in San Francisco, I could never count on a huge Black turnout. Without putting him on the spot here, a Hall of Fame promoter told me that “Black fighters don’t draw” and “Blacks don’t buy fight tickets,” that is the rule and not the exception.

Hell, all that being said, who is going to take the apparent financial bath this Saturday night when Hopkins-Dawson takes place at the Staples Center.

http://ringtalk.com/bernard-hopkins-...staples-center

Last edited by MexicanPoster; 10-13-2011, 01:57 PM.

Floyd barely drew 850,000 PPV buys when he fought Ortiz.
    and this was done with the help of PPV Draws-Morales, and Saul "canelo" Alvarez on the undercard.

If Morales and Canelo Alvarez had not fought on the undercar, the Floyd vs Ortiz PPV event would've sold about 500,000 PPV Buys instead.

Comment

blacks are some of the worst fans ever.Dont try to deny it.

Comment

Its nothing wrong with them or what they are doing, we are I assume talking about black American fighters yes?

Its not as if there is an entire country composed of that group with its own national identity like Mexico or PR for ex.

Comment

soto ducked rios as well

Comment

How many seats will the Staple Center be setup for Hopkins vs Dawson? Are they making it smaller somehow? Staples Center is too huge of a place not to have a full crowd, otherwise it's going to be embarrassing.

Comment

To be honest boxing in America would of been in the shit hole much much deeper if it weren't for Mexican and Puerto Rican fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                Its nothing wrong with them or what they are doing, we are I assume talking about black American fighters yes?

Its not as if there is an entire country composed of that group with its own national identity like Mexico or PR for ex.
                ???????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post

They're more into basketball figures like Kobe, etc.

In boxing, there are no big names that they want to see.

Mike Tyson was the last Black fighter to really draw.

Comment

The most popular boxers throughout boxing history have been black.

Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Mohammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Mike Tyson, and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

My point is.

It's only fair that blacks are not always the biggest draws, there has to be other boxers drawing fans to the sport. Are blacks suppose to do everything? The biggest draw in boxing is black, the second biggest is Pinoy, the third biggest is up to debate maybe Cotto, who's Puerto Rican. Does it have to be Mayweather, Hopkins, Ward, Dawson, Dirrell the biggest draws in boxing?

I am happy that there's different fighters from different nationalities who draw fans to the sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X