Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Joe Frazier An Underdog Against Ali In The First Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Joe Frazier An Underdog Against Ali In The First Fight?

I guess because this fight happened such a very long time ago, Not many people will remember the odds, But considering Joe Frazier a guy who worked in a meat factory came to UD Ali in Madison Square and Ali was the Olympian Gold Medal winner and the soul of the African American and Muslim world at the time, Its hard to imagine that Joe Frazier was the favorite, So how much of an underdog was Frazier at the time? Did anyone give Frazier a chance in hell of winning against Ali?

I wasnt born then but from the footage i have seen from the build up of the fight.....Frazier beating Ali was a big upset

Comment

Frazier was the favorite over Ali in the first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Boiled View Post
        I guess because this fight happened such a very long time ago, Not many people will remember the odds, But considering Joe Frazier a guy who worked in a meat factory came to UD Ali in Madison Square and Ali was the Olympian Gold Medal winner and the soul of the African American and Muslim world at the time, Its hard to imagine that Joe Frazier was the favorite, So how much of an underdog was Frazier at the time? Did anyone give Frazier a chance in hell of winning against Ali?
        Uh Fraizer won a gold medal as well. Its not like he was a nobody. Ali won the gold in 1960 at light heavy. Fraizer in 1964 at heavy. Then Foreman in 1968 for what its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
          Uh Fraizer won a gold medal as well. Its not like he was a nobody. Ali won the gold in 1960 at light heavy. Fraizer in 1964 at heavy. Then Foreman in 1968 for what its worth.
          nice post and you seem like an educated poster......but damn son can you take that gay ass avy down please?

Comment

Frazier started out as a slight favorite, around 7-5, it went to around 2-1 leading up to the fight and then I believe the odds narrowed slightly on fight day.

The "experts" were about evenly split, maybe slightly leaning to Frazier.

Frazier was the reigning champ. He'd just bulldozed his way to the top, Ali was coming off a recent lay-off. Also considerable parts of white America wanted him to shut Ali up.

Comment

Originally posted by the larryx View Post
              nice post and you seem like an educated poster......but damn son can you take that gay ass avy down please?
              That is none other than sexyman robin reid. I was reading about him the other day, apparently hes still fighting. He had a fight this year and hes like 41/42 now.

Comment

Frazier was indeed a slight favorite to win. He himself was an Olympic gold medalist, unbeaten as a pro, having fought regularly in the past few years when Ali had not.

I would say that it was seen as a 50-50 fight for the most part, with Frazier having an edge only due to the unknown factors concerning Ali's 3 year exile from boxing. Not many champions before him had successfully been able to come back after a long period of inactivity.

Comment

Ali had just come out of a controversial prison sentence of 3 years, for not wanting to be a tool.

Coming out to face a gold medal and current champion would probably mean he would be the underdog, even if it was slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Abstraction View Post
                    Ali had just come out of a controversial prison sentence of 3 years, for not wanting to be a tool.

Coming out to face a gold medal and current champion would probably mean he would be the underdog, even if it was slightly.
                    Ali was banned from boxing, he never went to prison

Comment

Working...
                    X