Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of getting some 20oz gloves for sparring. What do you guys recommend?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K9 View Post
    I ask this because 20oz the padding is different. I need something that when I hit ppl that won't feel it too much so i can open up to get ready to turn pro. Thanks.
    man i use them, and honestly even tho i broke a kids noes in sparring sometimes there is no shockwave or nothing travelling back to you so you feel like you did'nbt do any damage or nothin, sometimes makes me doubt my power
    Last edited by Chr0nic; 04-10-2009, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Yeah I think they'll kill your defense.

I had a pair of the Heavy Hitters and literally, all I had to do to defend any punch was hold my gloves out in front of my face - nobody could get through and my defense went to crud. Huge shock going back to fight gloves.

Not all 16s are created equally.
      Heck, even Ringside has different levels of protection between 16 oz IMFs, 16oz Gel Shocks, 16oz Ultimate Classics (which are the same as the quad-layer Safety Training gloves), 16oz International training gloves, and Ringside Gym Training gloves.

I'd probably get the Ultimate Classics in 16, or the Safety gloves in 16s if you don't want to shell out the dough. As a heavyweight, I couldn't hurt lightweights with those gloves (but I also could barely tell I was hitting them, so it was very hard to "ease up"). TufWear lace up 16oz training gloves have the padding of an 18 or a 20 without the huge profile. I definitely wouldn't go higher in size than 18 though.

Of course, you could always just opt not to bust up your sparring partners.

If it's weight you're looking for, wear small wrist weights.

Comment

20 oz? God damn!! That's like 1 1/4 pounds on your hands. Sheesh!! *****, more power to you if you want to go that route. I ain't even never heard of anyone using 20 ozers. The MMA heads use 18s, but that's the highest i've ever heard.

Comment

I only care if your using them to pound the **** out of Chuck.

Comment

I think 20oz are too much, not because of the weight but because of the size i think they could affect your technique. I had to buy some 18 oz because some of the guys i spar with were complaning when i used my 16 oz to spar, and the 18 oz feel awkward and too big already, it feels like im punching people with pillows at the end of my fists. It would probably be worst with 20 oz.

It's good that you care about your sparring partners but you shouldn't handicap yourself for the sake of not hurting them, it's still boxing, if somebody can't deal with taking a hard punch, they shouldnt be boxing in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacmanjay View Post
              What's the point of using such large gloves? If you want to increase speed, just shadow box with dumbells. I mean, using 20 oz gloves will be like literally fighting with pillows. You'll be able to block punches with out even trying.
              More protection. I tend to have the habit of backing off of ppl if I feel I have them hurt. So wearing heavier ones I can open up and do what I wanna do and punch harder.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingsmash69 View Post
                yea check out the ringside heavy hitter 20 ouncers, i heard they are bigger versions of the ringside safetys.

looking forward to your future career as a professional, vers. may the force be with you.

which sanctioning body will you aim for, to get a belt? lol.
                Any body, I wouldn't care I don't think.

Comment

Originally posted by gerardofpr View Post
                  ............You a HW?
                  No.haha. I just hit harder then what I weigh. I tend to still hurt ppl with 18oz gloves so I would like bigger ones.

Comment

You guys are right about the defense though, maybe they have big ones that are narrow.

Comment

vers,

u might wanna check out the Winning NG-2 gel knuckle guards, for use under wraps.

http://winning-usa.com/extraitems.html

they provide an unbelievable amount of hand protection for the knuckles.

and they are noticeably heavy.

they are heavier than an entire 10 yards of gauze folded up for knuckle padding, but they are only .45 inches thick (less than half as thick as 10 yards of gauze folded)

i highly recommend them for extra protection, and also extra weight, as you wanted.

they are probably 2 ounces per guard

you can probably use them with 18oz gloves, and they would end up feeling around 20oz.

when i use them with my 16oz ringside imf tech gloves, they feel just as heavy as my 18oz ringside ultimate classic gloves when not using the guards.

they are known to be used by juan manuel marquez, israel vazquez, fernando vargas, etc. in training. Mr. Kazumichi (Winning's USA distributor) told me that himself.

pic for comparison:

Last edited by boxingsmash69; 04-10-2009, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X