Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO offering contracts to Eastern Euro fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Greenberg was the reason he was evil and shunned euro fighters.

Comment

Yea they are racist (Tunney)

Comment

HBO can't ignore Euro fighters anymore. They were only fighting at HW at first, but now also many other divisions and lot's of them are aggressive punchers like Kovalev etc.. People pay to watch brutal knockouts. I think Wladimir's next fight is also on HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
          You don't think they could of made money with Pirog a couple of years ago? I think what you're saying is true right now in 2013 more then ever. I don't see how the old HBO could only care about money when they ignore good fighters and they pay Berto 1.5 million to fight bums (some money making strategy, eh?)

at the time they had too much involvement with al haymon. they paid way too much for some very bad fights. obviously we don't know the whole story, but acting in haymon's best interest has value for HBO when he's got you by the balls.

hbo stopped giving haymon easy money, and floyd mayweather was on showtime soon after.

i'm not saying one was the sole and direct cause of the other, only to illustrate the game that HBO must play when dealing with a guy who controls a stable like haymon's.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            at the time they had too much involvement with al haymon. they paid way too much for some very bad fights. obviously we don't know the whole story, but acting in haymon's best interest has value for HBO when he's got you by the balls.

hbo stopped giving haymon easy money, and floyd mayweather was on showtime soon after.

i'm not saying one was the sole and direct cause of the other, only to illustrate the game that HBO must play when dealing with a guy who controls a stable like haymon's.
            No doubt- and that's why IMO, it wasnt just sbout the mlney... guys like pirog would of been fine, but the old regime simply did not want to sign or broadcast any good european fighters (as evident by HBO working with elite euros after haymon and the split)

Comment

Originally posted by A_Jeffrey View Post
              HBO can't ignore Euro fighters anymore. They were only fighting at HW at first, but now also many other divisions and lot's of them are aggressive punchers like Kovalev etc.. People pay to watch brutal knockouts. I think Wladimir's next fight is also on HBO.

kovalev has fought all but a couple of his fights in the US. he lives in florida. before he made it to HBO he was on NBC. NBC doesn't have a budget for boxing like HBO or showtime, but it's a huge network on basic cable.

american TV doesn't ignore euro fighters. they operate in what they believe to be their best interest. when there's a great euro fighter out there we generally see him. jim lampley would suck froch's d#ck if you let him.

i have an issue with the klitschkos not being on american TV, but part of that is them pricing themselves out from hbo or showtime buying the fights. those guys promote themselves. they are shrewd guys. they make more money in europe than they'd make here. a lot more.

Comment

Working...
              X