No announcement yet.

Had my first sparring match the other day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had my first sparring match the other day

Holy crap, I only went in for 30-60 seconds at a time, but I think I made the mistake of going balls to the wall whenever I could. By my third round I was GASSED. Could barley listen to my couch and ate quite a few punches.

Overall it was fun, but really put my ego in check. I felt pretty sloppy, yet at the same time I had the adrenaline going and probably looked like I was trying way too hard haha.

I think I'm sparing again today, any tips? I'm a shorter guy, I found I was most effective when I played aggresive, got inside and threw hooks and uppercuts.

Try to relax and listen to your trainer. Its NOT a match or a fight its just a spar session. You should know what your working on before you get in the ring! If you don't then ask your trainer what he expects from you!
    Ray

Comment

Congrats on getting in there good u had fun hopefully u learned a lot!! Conditioning to go multiple rounds is defo a shock when first starting was for me.
      Im newish too bout 6 mths sparring I found reminding yourself to relax, controlling your range and being efficient in your movement helps a lot with not getting gassed. A lot first timers seem to run around the ring and continually jump or dance in and out of range rather than managing it with controlled movement sure way t get gassed after a minute, just another thing to work on next time...

Comment

Yeah I learned a few things...

I need to relax and like you said control my range and whatnot better. As soon as I got inside I would unleash a flurry of hooks and uppercuts, and I landed a lot of shots but completely depleted myself in the process.

I need to dodge more. I'm ok at blocking, but at one point I was so gassed that I literally stood their taking jabs. No energy to punch, but I could've at least moved my head to the side and it woulda threw the other guy (also an amateur) off.

And finally I learned I need to listen to my coach. It was only at the very end that I remebered I should have been listening for his voice among all others. So when I was eating all those jabs and he told me to step to the right that woulda saved me....he also told me not to use my right hand on this one kid (much smaller than me) which I didn't hear until after I landed a couple. I felt like an ******* for that.

But yeah, today will be better because of these mistakes...

15 minutes and I throw myself back into the furnace, wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
        X