how many pressups do you do a day?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    139.8lbs
    Naa 211.6 according to these scales though I thought I was a bit more, 6ft.

good man. are you into bodybuilding or whatnot, or just like to lift heavy stuff and get strong? i am 100% the latter

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      is there some sort of internet agenda against he pushup? i learned about athletics and the weight room through participation, so you'll have to pardon me if i am missing something. i don't know what else you're trying to get out of this exchange.
      I just don't see what role they have in a bodybuilding program in a direct sense. I can see how they're a great exercise in general, for functional strength and muscular endurance, but since they don't stimulate hypertrophy and I don't understand exactly how they help a guy who's trying to gain mass, i.e. a bodybuilder.

Isn't the basic principle of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (mass gain) that you're burning up your ATP/Glycogen stores and prompting your body to increase the volume of glycogen stores in your muscles as a result? With press-ups you're not generating that same effect because the relatively less intense muscle contractions aren't depleting your ATP/Glycogen stores in the same way. You're stimulating an endurance response (capillary density etc.) instead of a hypertrophic one.

At least that's how I understand it, and that's why I don't get the relevance of high rep activity like press-ups (to bodybuilding) unless it's being used as a form of cardio.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        good man. are you into bodybuilding or whatnot, or just like to lift heavy stuff and get strong? i am 100% the latter

A bit of both I guess but not from a competitive standpoint or anything like that. I am noway near as dedicated to training and diet as I once was though admittedly but I guess some training is better than no training. I need to tidy everything up I'm just so lazy these days, there is no excuse but my laziness.

When I get back on track I'll make a blog in the training section. It'll probably be good for a few months until everything falls apart again lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          I just don't see what role they have in a bodybuilding program in a direct sense. I can see how they're a great exercise in general, for functional strength and muscular endurance, but since they don't stimulate hypertrophy and I don't understand exactly how they help a guy who's trying to gain mass, i.e. a bodybuilder.

Isn't the basic principle of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (mass gain) that you're burning up your ATP/Glycogen stores and prompting your body to increase the volume of glycogen stores in your muscles as a result? With press-ups you're not generating that same effect because the relatively less intense muscle contractions aren't depleting your ATP/Glycogen stores in the same way. You're stimulating an endurance response (capillary density etc.) instead of a hypertrophic one.

At least that's how I understand it, and that's why I don't get the relevance of high rep activity like press-ups (to bodybuilding) unless it's being used as a form of cardio.

there's a good amount that will go into a full bodybuilding schedule / routine, and it's no all centered around putting on size. the intention with bodybuilding goes beyond simply getting bigger. i'm sure you're aware of that. you're putting weight on to gain muscle, and then cutting away the fat and drying out. you're trying to create the proportions that display your mass and sculpt/define the muscles. your body creates perspective.

when you're looking for "mass builders," or exercises that are intended to put on size, i wouldn't suggest the pushup. get off the floor, and onto a bench.

if a 15 year old kid asked me how to "get bigger" i'd tell him to do a few hundred pushups a day (and eat more, drinking some milk too.) it would work.
          Last edited by New England; 05-18-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X