No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Mike Tyson is Happy, and I’m Glad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Mike Tyson is Happy, and I’m Glad

by David P. Greisman - Maybe I identified too much with Mike Tyson. After all, I’d grown up with two loving, providing parents in middle-class suburban utopia, not as the poor son of a single mother who packed her family into a tenement in the Brooklyn slums. Never mind that I’d never been the heavyweight champion, never been in prison, never had millions of dollars and never spent myself into insurmountable debt.

But when Tyson had yet another incident, yet another tirade or loss of self-control, I knew better than those who said he was stupid. He was smart but troubled, and I had been, too, once again to a lesser extent. My youth had been one of antidepressants and psychologist visits, of failing grades and wasted potential.

Maybe I still identify too much with Mike Tyson, but it makes me relieved to see that he is the two most basic things I’d eventually aimed for: happy and healthy.

It also makes me relieved because I was there when it all ended for Tyson, when the former youngest-ever heavyweight champion now showed his age, when the one- or maybe two-time “baddest man on the planet” now was getting beat up by an unexceptional formerly anonymous opponent named Kevin McBride.

I watched as a fighter who had once instilled so much fear in his foes now sat on the canvas at the end of the sixth round, seeking the internal strength just to return to his corner. The referee motioned for Tyson to get up. Within a minute, the fight was over. [Click Here To Read More]

Great read. Thanks!

Comment

Great read. I love Tyson as a person and it seems like he's now at peace with himself. I watched his pigeon show a while back and loved it. Gained allot of respect for the man. It gave an insight into the former champions search for contentment.

Obviously only being only 26 I have very vague memories of prime Tyson and then being a Brit, I was always sat on Lewis' side of the fence so didn't have much time for the later Tyson and his antics. However after hearing several interviews and watching his show I gained so much more respect for the man. The level of empathy I have for him since his retirement, his personal tragedies, his inner demons, his money troubles, his absolute love for the simpler things in life regardless of his past experiences (pigeons) and his search for solace within himself. It's amazing he's come through it all and become a better man.

He could have been yet another one of those former champions that drifted into oblivion but he appears to be coming to together as a defined gentleman not just the former baddest man on the planet. Upmost respect.

Comment

Yes this was a very good read. Thanks. Mike and I had a mutual friend. I really liked him.

Comment

Thanks for the article, Mr. David.

Comment

Nice work MD. I enjoyed reading this.

Comment

Originally posted by Main Source View Post
              Great read. Thanks!
              Originally posted by Fish_Scotland View Post
              Great read.
              Originally posted by rambov View Post
              Yes this was a very good read.
              Originally posted by kadyo View Post
              Thanks for the article, Mr. David.
              Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
              Nice work MD. I enjoyed reading this.
              Thanks, you guys. I appreciate all of your good words.

Comment

There is no light for those who do not know darkness. Endure the shadows and light shall come your way.

I been a real fan of Mike since i can remember and i am so happy to see him beat his most terrible opponent.... himself.

Long live the new Mike.

Iron Mike Tyson IMO its one of the G.O.A.T.S

Comment

Working...
                X