No announcement yet.

Harold Johnson - Thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harold Johnson - Thoughts?

What can you tell me about this fighter in terms of how skilled he is and where he ranks as ATG? He's one of my favorites to watch, very textbook with his style. The man defines the word "sweet science".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8xqtIkXsk

The man gets rarely mentioned alongside other greats, which is a shame. Thoughts on Harold Johnson?

Harold Johnson is the epitome of an ATG. He's a throwback and one of the most skilled fighters I have ever witnessed.

Great resume, not good resume. Great resume.

He beat;

Ezzard Charles
    Archie Moore
    Jimmy Bivins
    Willie Pastrano
    Bert Lytell
    Henry Hall
    Bob Satterfield x2
    Paul Andrews x2
    Marty Mashall
    Sonny Ray
    Doug Jones
    Gustav Scholz
    Henry Hank
    Eddie Jones
    Nino Valdes
    Jimmy Slade x2
    Eddie Machen

All of which were Top 10- Top 5. And a handful also went on to be ranked from Top 5 to #1 in their division after the bouts with Johnson. Which is a pretty great resume If I ever saw one.

Names like Archie Moore (Top 10-15 ATG), Ezzard Charles (Top 5 ATG), Jimmy Bivins, Bert Lytell (Should be a HOF'er), Willie Pastrano.

And that's just the top of it.

Moved up to Heavyweight and beat very good ranked HW's like Valdez and Machen. Those 2 names are two of Sonny Liston's very best wins.

Top 5 LHW IMO. I seem to be in the minority in that but I think more than a case can be made.

Harold Johnson is a great fighter. IMO amongst the greatest fighter's of his time.

Comment

Working...
    X