No announcement yet.

Personal memories of a fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal memories of a fighter?

I have only one. Prince Naseem was here in Detroit training for his fight with Soto. In Dearborn there is a big Arab population so the prince had a day where he was training in front of fans. I believe he may have trained a day at the rec center here in town so I made my way down there. It was incredible to watch him skip rope and to see him do situp after situp, going from lying flat on his back to standing straight up over and over again.

This was back when I was fanatical about Prince Naseem so to see him live and training in person was pretty special. I had forgotten all about this memory until today.

This was in 99.

Vinny Paz jumping rope in a squated position at a blitering pace. If you have ever tried this you realize how truly difficult this is to do, let alone do it fast.

Comment

Eubank and Benn on the same chat show during their rivalry,i wont run through the whole thing but Benn chipping in and saying 'I actually do hate the guy' when Eubank was speaking was hilarious,he meant it too

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
        Eubank and Benn on the same chat show during their rivalry,i wont run through the whole thing but Benn chipping in and saying 'I actually do hate the guy' when Eubank was speaking was hilarious,he meant it too

Lol, I've seen that! Eubank was all cordial and proper, Benn just didn't give a shit!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Lol, I've seen that! Eubank was all cordial and proper, Benn just didn't give a shit!
          Eubank was always respectful and infuriating at the same time,i can see why Benn was so wound up

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
            Eubank was always respectful and infuriating at the same time,i can see why Benn was so wound up
            He was a wonderful fighter but I never personally liked him. He had a smug,phony personality rolled into one. He just rubbed me the wrong way.

Comment

He was a wonderful fighter but I never personally liked him. He had a smug,phony personality rolled into one. He just rubbed me the wrong way.
              Ye he certainly was a love or hate type of guy (many the latter),the Eubank/Benn rivalry did wonders for British boxing,it was a perfect clash of styles and more so personalities-the only similarity they had was that they were both warriors with unquestionable heart,and both endured a tragic incident in their career
              Last edited by The_Demon; 01-19-2011, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I'll go into detail later, but shaking Eddie Futch's hand when I was younger is my favorite. I managed to talk to Marvin Hagler at a charity event a while back.

And in Denver just recently, I had a nice talk about boxing history with Ron Lyle. Hell of a nice guy.

Comment

Another thing i remember well was hamed dancing around like a clown for pretty much a whole round against badillo (i think someone has a clip of it in their sig on here) made more amusing by the fact that just a round earlier the commentators had been talking about how Hamed was fighting a smart and somewhat conservative fight due too his respect for Badillo as a fighter

Comment

Vinny Paz jumping rope in a squated position at a blitering pace. If you have ever tried this you realize how truly difficult this is to do, let alone do it fast.
                    Vinny Paz is one of the most determined hard working fighters in history.

Comment

Working...
                    X