No announcement yet.

Books for Christmas.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books for Christmas.

I thought we could make a wishlist of boxingbooks.

Could you guys recommend me some books? I prefer some with something wellwritten with some honest thoughts and good fight descriptions/experiences. Biographies are welcome if they are not too fanboyish.

My recommendations to you would be Peter Heller's 'In this corner', Norman Mailer 'The fight' and Thomas Hauser 'Ali -his life and times'.

To date the ones I've read and enjoyed are:

The Greatest. Which is about who else... Muhammad Ali
    American Son by Oscar De La Hoya
    Fire and Fear by Jose Torres which about Mike Tyson
    Blood Season. Another Mike Tyson book
    The Black Lights: Inside the World of Professional Boxing
    Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson by Geoffrey C. Ward

I haven't read these books in YEARS but the one I enjoyed the most was the Black Lights because it really goes into how boxing politics worked in the 80's when King and Arum ran the show. It talks about how boxer Billy Costello (RIP) was trying to make it in boxing with all the politics that came with it.

Comment

Originally posted by FightHistorian View Post
      To date the ones I've read and enjoyed are:

The Greatest. Which is about who else... Muhammad Ali
      American Son by Oscar De La Hoya
      Fire and Fear by Jose Torres which about Mike Tyson
      Blood Season. Another Mike Tyson book
      The Black Lights: Inside the World of Professional Boxing
      Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson by Geoffrey C. Ward

I haven't read these books in YEARS but the one I enjoyed the most was the Black Lights because it really goes into how boxing politics worked in the 80's when King and Arum ran the show. It talks about how boxer Billy Costello (RIP) was trying to make it in boxing with all the politics that came with it.
      I've read the José Torres book and of course the greatest.

Please tell about dlh's book. Is it any good? How's the fights described?

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        I've read the José Torres book and of course the greatest.

Please tell about dlh's book. Is it any good? How's the fights described?
        I thought the book was ok. It's not that big of a book probably the smallest out of the ones I mentioned. He tells stories about how he grew up and got into boxing. About the fights I kind of found it funny how he would get some of the details wrong. Like in the Quartey fight he gets the knockdowns mixed up. He talks about Mosley's drug rumors in the second fight and talks about Vargas a bit as well. I won't say too much else due to spoilers in case you want to pick it up. Not a bad read.

Comment

Originally posted by FightHistorian View Post
          I thought the book was ok. It's not that big of a book probably the smallest out of the ones I mentioned. He tells stories about how he grew up and got into boxing. About the fights I kind of found it funny how he would get some of the details wrong. Like in the Quartey fight he gets the knockdowns mixed up. He talks about Mosley's drug rumors in the second fight and talks about Vargas a bit as well. I won't say too much else due to spoilers in case you want to pick it up. Not a bad read.
          Ok.

I would definetely think Oscar'd have a great story to tell.

Comment

Being new on here am not sure of your tastes or if you have a particular area of interest but some books I have read and enjoyed are as follows

Harry Otty - Charley Burley and the Black Muderers Row

Clay Moyle - Sam Langford Boxing's Greatest Uncrowned Champion

Anything by Andrew Gallimore

Mike Silver - The Arc of Boxing

Joe Laydon - The Last Great Fight

Jon Hotton - The Year of the Locust

Also would wholeheartedly recommend Adam Pollack's series on the early heavyweight chamions, expensive but worth the investment

Comment

Originally posted by Rowley View Post
              Being new on here am not sure of your tastes or if you have a particular area of interest but some books I have read and enjoyed are as follows

Harry Otty - Charley Burley and the Black Muderers Row

Clay Moyle - Sam Langford Boxing's Greatest Uncrowned Champion

Anything by Andrew Gallimore

Mike Silver - The Arc of Boxing

Joe Laydon - The Last Great Fight

Jon Hotton - The Year of the Locust

Also would wholeheartedly recommend Adam Pollack's series on the early heavyweight chamions, expensive but worth the investment
              I will check them out. Thanks for your suggestions.

I've heard a lot about the black murderers row. Is that a good book?

Comment

Definitely worth a read.

Comment

tunney by jack cavanaugh great stuff on gene, denpsey and greb
                  hands of stone
                  sugar ray leonard the big fight
                  cinderella man by jeremy schaap
                  ray arcel a boxing biography by donald dewey
                  my view from my corner by angie dundee
                  becoming holyfield by evander holyfield
                  pound for pound by herb boyd and ray robinson 2
                  the greatest fight of our generation on schemling and joe louis

Comment

One of my favourites, I'm a massive charley Burley fan though so guess it was inevitable I'd enjoy it but have recommended it to a lot of people and nobody has complained yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X