Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Tyson had wound up fighting Oliver Mccall?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Tyson had wound up fighting Oliver Mccall?!

Thanks to Scott's excellent article I realized that under certain conditions, Mccall could have wound up fighting Tyson insrtead of Douglas...Some people believe that there are infinite universes each created out of the distinct possabilities and permutations that are possible, in other words: In some Alteruniverse, there is a boxing board where Elroy is a most esteemed poster who hates Kitschko and Iron Dan has just been perma banned for the fiftieth time! In this Universe Olver Mccall got the fight with Tyson so....

How would this fight play out? lets assme to make it interesting that Tyson is subject to the same conditions, i.e. having chased too much tail, being in a horrendous relationship with Givens, etc...and Mccall is in tip top shape, just as Douglas was.

I see this as a potentially great fight! Mccall has a hell of a beard, can hit very hard and had a killer instinct. Avout the only caveat would be that I don't think Mccall was as easy to under estimate as Douglas was...I remember hearing that Ollie was quite the respected one in the gym.

So what happens!!? If this thread generates some interest I will put fourth my scenerio.

Have you seen the footage of Tyson sparring with McCall. Really high quality sparring

Comment

I think if it had been the same circumstances for Tyson but instead he fought McCall that night, I think it would have been a boring, sloppy fight with Tyson winning on points. Even if Oliver had outpointed him Tyson would probably still get the win from the judges.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Thanks to Scott's excellent article I realized that under certain conditions, Mccall could have wound up fighting Tyson insrtead of Douglas...Some people believe that there are infinite universes each created out of the distinct possabilities and permutations that are possible, in other words: In some Alteruniverse, there is a boxing board where Elroy is a most esteemed poster who hates Kitschko and Iron Dan has just been perma banned for the fiftieth time! In this Universe Olver Mccall got the fight with Tyson so....

How would this fight play out? lets assme to make it interesting that Tyson is subject to the same conditions, i.e. having chased too much tail, being in a horrendous relationship with Givens, etc...and Mccall is in tip top shape, just as Douglas was.

I see this as a potentially great fight! Mccall has a hell of a beard, can hit very hard and had a killer instinct. Avout the only caveat would be that I don't think Mccall was as easy to under estimate as Douglas was...I remember hearing that Ollie was quite the respected one in the gym.

So what happens!!? If this thread generates some interest I will put fourth my scenerio.
        it sure would have been interesting but mcall didn't have that excellent buster douglass jab. cant see Tyson stopping mcall as he had one of the best chins ive ever seen but I think hed have taken a tough ud win

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
          Have you seen the footage of Tyson sparring with McCall. Really high quality sparring

ive heard from quite a few fighters that mcall was an absolute beast sparring in the gym but seemed to be a different guy when it counted. that's why boxing is more mental than anything

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post

!!!!

Damn. Mccall owned Tyson in that encounter. Thank you for that footage. If they had kept this guy on track..oh boy!

Comment

Some interesting factors at hand here: While the book on Mike always said a guy like Douglas, big, strong, rangy, with a great jab would be a problem, its worth noting that Mike generally handled the big guys. No he didn't Ko Bone crusher, Green, or Ruddock....but he managed. meanwhile Holyfield, a guy who when he fought Mike was a legitimate heavyweight size, but not large, beat him essentially by coming foward.

Mccall has a great chin, decent head movement, a good jab, and boy can he pop! I think it would be tentative at first but would open up and become a slugfest. I think they would give a close fight to Mike on points. But given Mccall's chin the chances for a knockdown, or KO are almost equal for each man. Mike slows down later in fights and is more hittable, Mccall is unpredictable but usually also slows down a bit.

Comment

Comment

McCall just didn't have the jab. Which is a pity because (aside from the odd mental fizzbang) he did indeed possess both the skills and the physical talent.

I've said it a hundred times (and I'll continue to): it's interesting how many supposedly "unbeatable" fighters fall apart at the seams when they finally come up against a fighter who a) knows how to use a jab, b) lands it with piston-like energy and frequency and c) is sufficiently motivated to actually WANT TO fight. I only mention the latter given the tendency of boxing's luminous talent to overstate the threat posed by the stream of bums and nobodies interspersing good opponents.

There are many reasons Douglas won that evening. I believe his jab was chief among them. I don't think McCall had the tools to beat up on Mike that night. Mike was clearly over the hill - but not so far that he couldn't handle McCall. That said, McCall might well have beaten the Tyson of two or three years later.

Comment

Truthfully, Mike would have had much trouble with the Atomic Bull. McCall did have a great chin, indeed, and he wasn't scared of Mike...which means he would not have been psyched out.

The biggest stumbling block I see McCall tripping over is the potential for SPS...."Sparring Partner Syndrome." Having been in the ring with Mike on so many occasions, there is always the possibility of him forgetting he was in an actual fight once he got into the swing of things.

But, presuming that didn't happen and this is the same Tyson who faced Douglas in Tokyo, look for a similar result, without the 8th round knockdown. Also, it would be closer as McCall at his best was never as good as Douglas was at his. He wasn't as fluid, nor as mobile. In short, he just wasn't the same type of boxer; but he was tough as nails

McCall either wins by a later round stoppage as Tyson gasses out from the action and lack of conditioning, or he loses a very controversial decision.......as Douglas could have potentially.

Either way, helluva scrap.

Comment

Working...
                    X