Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Juan Manuel Marquez Says Retirement is Tempting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Pacquiao-Marquez thread? Banned.
    LOL

To be honest, I picked Marquez to win the fourth meeting by decision. I never pictured him getting the KO. Based on what I saw - with all due respect to Juan - he's getting there, if you know what I mean. I'd pick Pacquiao to finally get his own clear win himself if a 5th fight happens.

There is a certain amount of luck in boxing, just as there is in really everything else that is competitive. The world's best poker player can lose to the world's second best, or fifth best, or 7th best. Nadal can lose to a player who was ranked 100th in the world, Lukáš Rosol. This doesn't mean Lukáš Rosol is better than Nadal, it means that things worked in his favor that day, or his style was beneficial to him in that matchup.

In boxing, skills, power, chin, etc. all give you a better probability of winning, they do not ensure it. Most of the time we have to be reasonable and ignore some of this reality, but it does exist. If a fighter has 0.01% chance of winning, yeah, he's effectively got "no chance" if we're talking like normal humans should. A punch can be "lucky", and Pacquiao could have gotten "lucky" earlier in an alternate universe. That we're not living in a perfect world where everything has a set outcome is my point, and that's what makes boxing in particular so fascinating.

Appreciate it!

For the record, Floyd himself has alluded to the old "puncher's chance". It's fairly well understood that it exists, and although I generally frown upon reducing it to such an unimpressive sounding phenomenon, it's worth noting that even one of the most technically skilled boxers in the world knows it's out there, and that it comes flying at him every time he steps into the ring.
    Last edited by samouraď; 12-10-2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
      He'll never top what he did on on saturday

If hes happy being 1-2-1 against Pac than he should retire
      Only Pac fans believe that bull****, technically yes but its bull****, should actually be 3-0-1 and Marquez closed the show Saturday when he put pac to sleep...he doesn't need to top that, it's over DEAL WITH IT .....Lucky punch my ass btw, perfectly timed and SKILL

Comment

30 millones de dolares y les firma la quinta pelea putos.

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyProdigy95 View Post
          Marquez needs to give Pac a fifth fight if Pac wants it. It's only right, considering all the fights Pac gave to Marquez. He gave Juan a chance + more, although he could have just said no after winning the second or third fight officially.
          Not flawless logic, there. They can't keep saying after every fight, "hey, I gave you a chance, I deserve another". This could go on forever. A KO of a great fighter is a bit dramatic, though, so it may be a special circumstance.

Comment

Originally posted by ~BoZz~ View Post
            Juan running he knows pac would knock him out if they meet again..coward.
            How do you know this? What happened Saturday night? Did Marquez do any running Saturday night? Who got their ass put to sleep?

Comment

If he wants to retire, it's a great way to go. He's earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                pacquaio doesn't give fights, he fights who his promoter wants him to fight. Remember all the post fight interviews?

"I'll fight who my promoter wants me to fight."
                EXACTLY, these pac fans and their bs, pac also wanted to clear up any and all doubt, which he didnt, he got KNOCKED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
                  Marquez would make a great boxing trainer.
                  i don't think he can try for a while though he'll get to tempted to get back in the ring if he does.

Comment

The only way JMM should do it again is for 50/50 and the fight in Mexico. But I think he should retire while on top. He avenged that robbery in the 3rd fight with the brutal KO of Pacquiao so he has nothing left to prove. JMM will always be remembered as Pac's daddy.

Comment

yes retired Marquez with the glory, your a smart man n i know u wont be lured with money into something u feel u dont have to do, u kno the glory is priceless

Comment

Working...
                      X