Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come SRR allowed many more losses late in his career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the consensus from a lot of people here seems to be purely that he needed the money, but having read his autobiography I would have to somewhat disagree with that. Of course money was a part of it, most boxers don't manage their money well and back then they got paid a lot less than now, but the way he explains things in his book leads me to believe that he would have carried on longer than he should have done, even if he was more careful with his money. After retiring he said things like he wished he was still having big fights, and that he always believed that each setback prepared him for a greater triumph. For some guys boxing is just in them forever and they find it hard doing anything else for a living. I don't think money was the main thing for him, I mean, he stated that if he could do it all again, he would spend all of the money the exact same way. Against Fullmer in the 3rd fight he was convinced they cheated by making the ring smaller than it should have been (Fullmer admitted this) and against Denny Moyer he claimed to have been drugged before the fight. Despite taking more losses nobody was really dominating him, and I guess because of that & his pride/ego he was still convinced that he could win the Middleweight title a 6th time & go out on a high as champion.

I would recommend buying his book. I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Does he mention beating his wife in his book?

Comment

Anthony heres a clue about fighters/boxers..........their prone to act out in a violent way. Many of them are also pushed to a point where reaction is a second nature. These aren't excusses they're the reality many fighters face!
        Many of the wifes and girlfriends also know what buttons to push and they can be minipulative in that way. Theres alot of short cummings to being a pro fighter and mistakes like reacting with violence are apart of a fighters make up much to often. Something tells me your demeanor doesn't need to be introduced to a fighter void of wit! Ray

Comment

The very title of this thread is flawed - aside from the premise of fraud, nobody "allows" losses. Fighters lose as a result of being defeated. Athletes of any sport are naturally prone to defeat when trying to compete way past their primes. In boxing, Roberto Duran is the most recent poster boy for this folly.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
            In boxing, Roberto Duran is the most recent poster boy for this folly.
            Naw,, toney, roy, holyfield, morales have taken that mantle from duran

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              Naw,, toney, roy, holyfield, morales have taken that mantle from duran
              You may be right, as I havn't kept-up with these dudes... That's why I'm stuck here in the History forum. Still, it could be argued that Duran is one of the bigger names to hold the mantle since SRR and Archie Moore, who also stayed at the fair too long...
              Last edited by Panamaniac; 12-14-2013, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                You may be right, as I havn't kept-up with these dudes... That's why I'm stuck here in the History forum. Still, it could be argued that Duran is one of the bigger names to hold the mantle since SRR and Archie Moore, who also stayed at the fair too long...
                Well....IF one HAS to be stuck for whatever reason....Duran would not be the WORSE guy to be stuck on!

Comment

Its who they are not a 8 hour a day job. Its their lives like the hbo show 24/7!
                  The "full time" boxers from the era were they fought 125+ times becomes their exsistance. This isn't being a soccer or baseball player where the goals have something to do with team mates. Boxing is a one on one contest and the price is to "STOP" or dominate the opponent.
                  What you eat and drink and how you sleep is an every day event with a purpose. Those men like Sugar Ray didn't take half the year off and average 2 fights a year. Sugar Ray fought twice a month sometimes twice every 10 days! Over 300 bouts in the amatuers & pros, just compare that to fighting everyday for a year!
                  Duran is actually the best comparison to Sugar Ray because he continuely fought very good to good competition where as Toney and others fought fellows far below their status in comparison to their prime.
                  Sugar Ray was boxing top notch competitors right up to the end of his career and was winning most not loosing and was never stopped! Ray.
                  Last edited by Ray Corso; 12-14-2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

The thing about duran was even when he was way past it in the 90s he still fought at a pretty high level giving guys hell like he did vs vinny paz, and he looked alot better vs camacho then SRL did..

The only blow out loss would be to joppy, who was a prime mw champ at the time...

roy, and toney havent been able to sustain that type of level.. Holyfield to his credit looked good vs vaulev and i thought holy got robbed in that one and should have gotten his belt IMO

Comment

Duran vs Hearns..........................not a good time for Duran.

Comment

Working...
                      X