Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Duran deserve to win the barkly fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Duran deserve to win the barkly fight?

It was a close fight and fight of that year did roberto deserve the nod through merit or did his name earn it for him?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    It was a close fight and fight of that year did roberto deserve the nod through merit or did his name earn it for him?
    Barkley probably won more rounds than Duran, but it wasn't a terrible decision. The crowd support and sentiment probably helped Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Barkley probably won more rounds than Duran, but it wasn't a terrible decision. The crowd support and sentiment probably helped Duran.
      and the KD...

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        It was a close fight and fight of that year did Roberto deserve the nod through merit or did his name earn it for him?
        Well, the fight was close enough to be a split desicion. He earned it mostly by scoring the only KD of the fight (not long after almost being knocked down himself), but his name certainly didn't hurt, particularly when you consider that Duran gave-up lopsided proportions of height, reach and age difference to Barkley.

As a fan of Duran, what gave me the most pleasure in that victory was the way Barkley popped-off about avenging his buddy Davey Moore's beatdown at the hands of stone 5 years earlier, only to get his own ass kicked. Oddly enough and despite all the pre-fight acrimony, there was all this hugging and kissing by the two combatants at the end, unlike Duran's disdain after Leonard I.
        Last edited by Panamaniac; 08-30-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I thought Duran earned it, real tight but a win none the less. Even if the decision went against him it would have been quite a feat just to hang in there with a Huge guy who hit like a truck and even drop him! Like i said though i had Duran slightly up... The knockdown might actually have been the difference, cant remember exactly how i scored it

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
            I scored it for him 115:112, so I think it was ok decision.
            I think I had the same score. If I remember correctly, Barkley was winning the fight pretty handily half way through, but then Duran figured him out and won almost all of the rounds from 6 through to 12.

Comment

Working...
            X