A fishy tale of Amir's new passion : Amir Khan Tropical Fish Collection

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fishy tale of Amir's new passion : Amir Khan Tropical Fish Collection

A fishy tale of Amir's new passion

BOXING superstar Amir Khan admits his new hobby of collecting tropical fish has got him hooked.

The world light-welterweight champion’s aquarium is his pride and joy alongside his WBA and IBF title belts at his Bolton home.

Khan has just splashed out £3,200 for a rare Gem Tang fish to add to his growing collection.

And the 24-year-old ace is now hoping for an early fin-ish when he takes on American Lamont Peterson in Washington on December 10.

“I’m really into my fishes,” said Khan. “I just mess around with them. I find them really relaxing.

“I’ve been into them ever since I moved into my new house about a year ago.

“I had a wall that I needed to put something on and decided on a salt water fish tank.

“I’ve got quite a few now – about 12. I’ve got a couple of marine fish and have just bought a Gem Tang.

“They’re really rare – I think there is only about seven in the world.”

Khan has also been a regular visitor to Bolton Aquarium. He said: “I’ve been to Bolton Aquarium to have a look round. They couldn’t believe it when I turned up.

“It’s amazing there. I popped in for 10 minutes and I was in there for 45 minutes walking around and looking at the fishes and learning about what temperature the water should be.

“I’ve really got into it.”

Bolton Aquarium spokesman Pete Liptrot said: “The Gem Tang is a prestige fish. They’re stunning and very difficult to get hold off, which is why they are so expensive. There are very few in captivity.”

He added: “Amir is very welcome down at the aquarium any time and if he ever needs any advice then he only needs to ask.”

Khan’s clash with Peterson is expected to be the last time he fights at 140lbs as he looks to step up to welterweight to set up a mega-fight against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather next summer. But Peterson has vowed to ruin Khan’s dreams to unite the division when they meet in the ring.

The 27-year-old Washington-born fighter said: “I respect Khan for his accomplishments and as a champion, but this is something that goes beyond all that.

“This is the moment I’ve been waiting for my entire career, and to win a world title at home is something that I will remember forever.

“On December 10, I will make my dreams come true and ruin Amir’s plans to reign over his division.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport...s_new_passion/

He's gotta do something while he isn't getting laid

Comment

Collecting fish is cool. I got addicted for like 3 months then the tank was to small to hold them all. No joke.

Comment

someone ask khan to post pics of his tank on twitter

Comment

Yh well his team just so happens to be the biggest sharks of them all.

Comment

Does Amir like fish sticks?

Comment

I have a tank at my moms house as well. . . nothing too exotic of course, but it is cool to watch them and mess around. . .

i want to gt a mantis shrimp! those suckers have like 50 MPH PUNCHES! check them out on youtube - they're awesome! LOL they have been dubbed the boxers of hte ocean!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgvsQ6oNZyo

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Boiled View Post
                A fishy tale of Amir's new passion

BOXING superstar Amir Khan admits his new hobby of collecting tropical fish has got him hooked.

The world light-welterweight champion’s aquarium is his pride and joy alongside his WBA and IBF title belts at his Bolton home.

Khan has just splashed out £3,200 for a rare Gem Tang fish to add to his growing collection.

And the 24-year-old ace is now hoping for an early fin-ish when he takes on American Lamont Peterson in Washington on December 10.

“I’m really into my fishes,” said Khan. “I just mess around with them. I find them really relaxing.

“I’ve been into them ever since I moved into my new house about a year ago.

“I had a wall that I needed to put something on and decided on a salt water fish tank.

“I’ve got quite a few now – about 12. I’ve got a couple of marine fish and have just bought a Gem Tang.

“They’re really rare – I think there is only about seven in the world.”

Khan has also been a regular visitor to Bolton Aquarium. He said: “I’ve been to Bolton Aquarium to have a look round. They couldn’t believe it when I turned up.

“It’s amazing there. I popped in for 10 minutes and I was in there for 45 minutes walking around and looking at the fishes and learning about what temperature the water should be.

“I’ve really got into it.”

Bolton Aquarium spokesman Pete Liptrot said: “The Gem Tang is a prestige fish. They’re stunning and very difficult to get hold off, which is why they are so expensive. There are very few in captivity.”

He added: “Amir is very welcome down at the aquarium any time and if he ever needs any advice then he only needs to ask.”

Khan’s clash with Peterson is expected to be the last time he fights at 140lbs as he looks to step up to welterweight to set up a mega-fight against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather next summer. But Peterson has vowed to ruin Khan’s dreams to unite the division when they meet in the ring.

The 27-year-old Washington-born fighter said: “I respect Khan for his accomplishments and as a champion, but this is something that goes beyond all that.

“This is the moment I’ve been waiting for my entire career, and to win a world title at home is something that I will remember forever.

“On December 10, I will make my dreams come true and ruin Amir’s plans to reign over his division.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport...s_new_passion/

There are way more than 7 Gem tangs - he also paid insanely too high - he got hustled hard

Comment

Originally posted by uglypug View Post
                  I have a tank at my moms house as well. . . nothing too exotic of course, but it is cool to watch them and mess around. . .

i want to gt a mantis shrimp! those suckers have like 50 MPH PUNCHES! check them out on youtube - they're awesome! LOL they have been dubbed the boxers of hte ocean!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgvsQ6oNZyo
                  i'd get two of those just to see them fight lol. pretty cool.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X