This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Floyd actually gave a good account of himself in the 2nd fight.
    Oh, I've been remiss Jab! I should have welcomed you before to the premier thread on Boxing Scene. One of the very few to get "sticky" status

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      In fact, that second fight with Ali was Patterson's last fight. Patterson was known as the fastest Heavyweight anyone had ever seen until Ali broke onto the scene. Interestingly enough Floyd was a natural Middleweight and if he had fought there or at Light-Heavyweight he'd be an all-time great. The only real knocks on Floyd were his suspect chin and his tendency to brawl when he should have boxed.
      Poet

I use to talk about this once in awile on the old board I use to go to. If floyd had stayed at 175, he MAY have been the greatest ever at that weight.
      I've caught a couple of his middleweight fights on ESPN classic and Patterson had the same type of reflexes and speed as Roy Jones. Triple left hooks. Both hands up stairs and down stairs. Fsat combonations. He was a beast. Had he not moved to heavyweight Im not so sure his chin would have been nearly as issue as it was with the big boys. Would have loved to see a Patterson-Ezzard Charles fight at 175 had Floyd focused his career there.

Comment

I use to talk about this once in awile on the old board I use to go to. If floyd had stayed at 175, he MAY have been the greatest ever at that weight.
        I've caught a couple of his middleweight fights on ESPN classic and Patterson had the same type of reflexes and speed as Roy Jones. Triple left hooks. Both hands up stairs and down stairs. Fsat combonations. He was a beast. Had he not moved to heavyweight Im not so sure his chin would have been nearly as issue as it was with the big boys. Would have loved to see a Patterson-Ezzard Charles fight at 175 had Floyd focused his career there.
        Patterson Vs. Charles droool! What a matchup at 175! I pay to see that even now 53 years after the matchup could have been made!

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Oh, I've been remiss Jab! I should have welcomed you before to the premier thread on Boxing Scene. One of the very few to get "sticky" status

Poet

Thanks Poet, I appreciate that!

Comment

Acually yes he did. He unified in the second Holyfield fight.
            Yo JAB, you know what man, you're absolutely right! Thanks for pointing that out, may man...."GOOD KARMA" coming your way!!

Comment

Would have loved to see a Patterson-Ezzard Charles fight at 175 had Floyd focused his career there.[/COLOR][/FONT]
              ** Obviously that would have to be a fantasy match up since Charles was not only well past the LH division but well past his best when Floyd started to hit his stride.

Floyd is generally overrated because of his heart as well as the great influence of D'amato. I like Floyd as a boxer, and a fighter, and particularly as a man for his era, but Charles prime to prime would be a bridge too far both stylistically and natural attributes whether at middle, LH, or heavy for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                ** Obviously that would have to be a fantasy match up since Charles was not only well past the LH division but well past his best when Floyd started to hit his stride.

Floyd is generally overrated because of his heart as well as the great influence of D'amato. I like Floyd as a boxer, and a fighter, and particularly as a man for his era, but Charles prime to prime would be a bridge too far both stylistically and natural attributes whether at middle, LH, or heavy for him.
                You don't think if Floyd had focussed his career at lightheavy instead of moving up that he would have been well matched with charles (hypotheticly of course)? They were about the same size and Patterson would have the advantage in speed. Charles fought more technicly correct. I've always thought this would have been a close fight. Im interested in how you think the fight would have went if you've got the time. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

• I have about 30 Floyd Patterson fights on DVD he is my fav fighter of all time. I don’t think he could have made middleweight for very long but he could have stayed at light heavy but the money and media attention is at heavy so i understand why he moved up. He was one of the best comb punchers i have ever seen imo his defense wasn’t always that good but he had good head movement in his prime and was good at slipping punches. A Charles Patterson fight would be close, Charles was a better boxer but he didn’t have the speed or power of Patterson.

Comment

• i've good a question to ask

whenever Poet disagrees with you does he often post this

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    And I'm sure you were there measuring Mike Tyson's d**k with a measuring tape.....and discoving it was only two inches long. Poor two inch Iron Prison *****.
                    I'm going to peg you for the Tyson **** sucker that you are.
                    Originally posted by poet682006
                    You just run your cum dumpster and do my work for me.
                    As for me, my issue isn't with Tyson it's with nuthuggers: AKA fanboys, anus suckers, mind-numbed robots, true believers, and my favorite: KoolAid drinkers. Which one do you prefer because they all apply to you!

You see, I watch boxing with my brain not my emotions.....unlike you who watches boxing with your d**k.

A KoolAid drinking fan-boy who thinks not with his head but with his genitalia

is just me, or does Poet make ****phobic and prejudiced refrences way too often?
                    Last edited by Boogie Nights; 07-16-2008, 01:15 AM.

Comment

• nice done i'm gamazon

Creativity audio books, CDs, tapes, cassettes used and new, audio, use SPIRITUAL WORLD AUDIO CASSETTES really a nice job share it thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X