No announcement yet.

Why Hasn't Mexico Challenge The US To An Outright Rivalry

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cruisin' View Post
    cuz most US boxing fans ARE Mexican and a lot of Mexican boxers have American citizenship... the rivalry would be blurry as hell
    That is a really good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
      I ask a trainer from Mexico why don't they have many boxers in higher weight classes he told because the bigger guys go to Lucha Libre wrestling where that sport is more popular in Mexico more money and they get the chicks that was his words not mine
      Isn't Lucha Libre wresting the WWE of Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        This hasn't been a marquee weight class in the US for over 15 years now, not since the fall of Tyson in the mid 90s.
        You are missing the forest for the trees, my friend. The fact that there hasn't been a truly elite American heavyweight since Holyfield's and Tyson's fall is irrelevant to the fact that Americans generally care more about the heavies than any other weight class.

Historically, heavyweight has been the premier glamour division when it comes to boxing in the US. The weight class that the most casual of casual fans will ask a hardcore boxing fan about.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakBread904 View Post
          You are missing the forest for the trees, my friend. The fact that there hasn't been a truly elite American heavyweight since Holyfield's and Tyson's fall is irrelevant to the fact that Americans generally care more about the heavies than any other weight class.

Historically, heavyweight has been the premier glamour division when it comes to boxing in the US. The weight class that the most casual of casual fans will ask a hardcore boxing fan about.
          Ok, fair enough, I agree with that viewpoint and in all honesty, it's the same in the UK.

But the American public, in recent years anyway, has cared more about the welters with May and Pac riding high in that division. So the heavyweight division just isn't that glamorous anymore, especially to an American public that can't even get behind an American titlist.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
            Look up all the Mexican champions, then look up all the U.S. Champions of Mexican descent. Add the two together, and you will see, Mexicans have produced more champions. Add all the non Mexicans togeter, I guess they won't come close.

Prove me wrong.
            This argument is a fuking joke. Mexico can not claim Mexican-Americans as their own. You are where you were born. Under the mindset of Mexican-Americans being counted as Mexicans, then African-Americans are truly just from Africa and shouldn't be counted. So who truly is American then?

That's why I had the notion that Mexican-Americans aren't Americans. They are going through the same thing African-Americans went through 60 years ago.

As for the argument of making a rivalry, the divisions dont mesh between the two but through history America has wiped the slate clean on everyone. If you look through the greatest fighters, there might be 2 or 3 Mexicans in the top 50 fighters of all time, and probably 30 Americans. It is pretty obvious which country produces more talent in the sport.

Comment

Truth is american fighters are protected and fragile. To americans , more athletic means better fighter.
              Fake retirements. Layoffs. Ducking and dodging for whatever reason along with tons of tune ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                This argument is a fuking joke. Mexico can not claim Mexican-Americans as their own. You are where you were born. Under the mindset of Mexican-Americans being counted as Mexicans, then African-Americans are truly just from Africa and shouldn't be counted. So who truly is American then?

That's why I had the notion that Mexican-Americans aren't Americans. They are going through the same thing African-Americans went through 60 years ago.

As for the argument of making a rivalry, the divisions dont mesh between the two but through history America has wiped the slate clean on everyone. If you look through the greatest fighters, there might be 2 or 3 Mexicans in the top 50 fighters of all time, and probably 30 Americans. It is pretty obvious which country produces more talent in the sport.
                I don't agree. I have family on both sides of la frontera.
                Raza is Raza.
                If you don't understand, you just won't get it. There are tribes divided by borders that were thrust upon them.

Comment

Working...
                X