Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i believe orlando canizales fought on there quite a bit too

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
      On a semi-related note, does anybody remember the Harold Brazier/Kevin Pompey fights on ESPN? Know where I might find video of them?
      I remember those fights, if I remember right, Brazier got robbed in the first fight. I have the rematch buried away somewhere (where??) but the two torrent sites are great for finding fights like that.

Comment

Pazienza made most of comeback from his injury on usa. He beat Gilbert Dele on that station.

Comment

I got interviewed by the commentators sean ogrady and that albert guy after we weighed in. It was really kind of cool I don't remember what we talked about but it was neat but they had a sheet with my info on it and were just curious about me. I was on the under card of Tony Tubbs vs Alexander Zolkin at the palace of auburnhills. I was to be a swing bout, there were 2-10 rounders as co-features and if there was a ko I was to get the tv spot on usa. I fought this guy from africa, it was a war. It would have been a great fight for the people watching on tv but both fights went the full 10 rounds and I never got on usa. Tyrone Trice vs Thomas Tate was the other big fight that night.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
            The first one that comes to mind is Oba Carr. Pretty good welterweight; freaking amazing that in the 1990s a fighter that good didn't win a world title. He lost to DeLaHoya and Trinidad but gave them good fights. He beat Yori Campos. He was 100% a Tuesday Night Fights product. At one point they had a viewers poll to select his next opponent. It was decided that he should fight...Livingstone Bramble, I think, and Carr was knocked down twice and got a gift decision, but it was only his 16th fight.
            You might also look into Alex Garcia. He fought on ESPN a lot, but he was also a regular main-eventer on USA. His KO of Bernard Benton is a brutal exhibition. He started late, learning to box while in prison for 2nd degree murder, and, ultimately, his inability to take a punch let him down. He turned down $500k to fight George Foreman, saying he wasn't ready, then got kod by Mike Dixon (on USA) for much, much less.

I was at the Palace watching the Oba Carr/ Livingstone Bramble fight. I thought that Carr got a gift that night. I had a bout against Oba in the amatuers. I do remember Rock Newman pulling some heavyweight over the top rope and out of the ring during a brawl. Usa fights were a regular part of my youth.

Joseph Kwuinaka was on there, he one one nice guy and a heck of a tough fighter. I honestly don't remember very many bouts that I watched although I watched just about every week.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              I got interviewed by the commentators sean ogrady and that albert guy after we weighed in. It was really kind of cool I don't remember what we talked about but it was neat but they had a sheet with my info on it and were just curious about me. I was on the under card of Tony Tubbs vs Alexander Zolkin at the palace of auburnhills. I was to be a swing bout, there were 2-10 rounders as co-features and if there was a ko I was to get the tv spot on usa. I fought this guy from africa, it was a war. It would have been a great fight for the people watching on tv but both fights went the full 10 rounds and I never got on usa. Tyrone Trice vs Thomas Tate was the other big fight that night.
              Cool! I have that card too, bad neither of the main bouts ended early. I finally would have a dvd to send ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                I was at the Palace watching the Oba Carr/ Livingstone Bramble fight. I thought that Carr got a gift that night. I had a bout against Oba in the amatuers. I do remember Rock Newman pulling some heavyweight over the top rope and out of the ring during a brawl. Usa fights were a regular part of my youth.

Joseph Kwuinaka was on there, he one one nice guy and a heck of a tough fighter. I honestly don't remember very many bouts that I watched although I watched just about every week.
                I remember watching that. It was Elijah Tillery. It was a wild moment in USA boxing history. Tillery got mad and started kicking Bowe. USA did a rematch awhile later and must have gotten huge ratings for it because the fist fight that nearly became a riot got alot of publicity.

Comment

I remember Sean O'Grady saying all the time, "Speed is Power"

I used to think of power houses like Foreman and Shavers and how they might disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by RINGG View Post
                    Pazienza made most of comeback from his injury on usa. He beat Gilbert Dele on that station.
                    I believe his first comeback bout against Luis Santana was aired on USA as well. That was kind of a miracle comeback considering his injury.

Comment

Originally posted by tenpoint View Post
                      I remember Sean O'Grady saying all the time, "Speed is Power"

I used to think of power houses like Foreman and Shavers and how they might disagree.

O'Grady never went one week without saying that missing a punch is more tiring than landing one. It's true, but he didn't have to say it over and over again.

Comment

Working...
                      X