No announcement yet.

Is Keith Thurman's power overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Keith Thurman's power overrated?

Don't get me wrong, the bloke can punch...

But I'm more impressed with his speed and stamina than his power..

He's a big puncher, but not a concussive puncher that will have you out cold like GGG, Matthysse, Kovalev.. or even Maidana.

p4p guys like Matthysse, Kovalev and GGG would have Thurman's level of opposition out cold.. but Thurman seems more like a guy that wears guys down, he punches hard with speed and stamina, but he's not all that concussive imo..

Just my thoughts

He is not a huge puncher...he can crack but he is not a "1 hitter quitter" type puncher like they are hyping him to be

Comment

Very good puncher but he isn't gonna put himself out there the way Matthysse does to get the knock out, he'll wait it out until the opportunity presents itself.

Comment

He seems to have good boxing skills and fundamentals and that is more important and will get him far in his career

Comment

I'm not sure how he's generally rated. If you put him in the Kovalev/Golovkin level, you're overrating his power. Thurman can crack pretty hard, though.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
            He is not a huge puncher...he can crack but he is not a "1 hitter quitter" type puncher like they are hyping him to be
            I agree wholeheartedly!

Comment

We'll find out when he starts facing top-tier opponents. He has plenty of power with the D, C level guys he's been clocking.

Comment

I think he hits pretty hard but like Larry and Booty Dew said he doesn't have that 1 punch KO power.

I like Thurman but I just want to see him fight better competition. Alexander would be a good win for Keith

Comment

Very good power. Not GGG/Kovalev type power, but enough where you don't want to trade with him, unless you have a great chin.

Throws his power punches off the back foot, and from awkward angles which is why he's special. Not the rudimentary banger like most face forward brawlers, and guys like Matthysse.

Comment

I don't think it's overrated, he has been stopping some decent guys.. He isn't a monster puncher but at welter he can crack as good as anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X