Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isnt cbs currently used to hype showtime fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isnt cbs currently used to hype showtime fights?

why not use it for preview shows and such to generate interest with the super 6 for example? the 360 show could be moved to cbs? surely this would bring higher ratings...

Good question they could at least put an occasional commercial for the Super 6.

Comment

I never got why they didn't replay classic or recent Showtime bouts on CBS. Especially when their sporting schedule gets soft.

Comment

Because CBS wouldn't get a return on their investment. None of the guys in the Super 6 are all that marketable. You need star quality to justify that sort of financial commitment, no different from the film industry- If you're trying to get a studio to back your movie and invest in it, you'd have a much easier chance of convincing them if you have Will Smith or Angelina Jolie attached as opposed to some unknown entity, regardless of how talented they are.

Comment

showtime do get decent ratings but a small investment in some sort of preview for the bigger matches like hopkins-pascal for eg would boost ratings considerably imo and make it a worthwhile investment. i agree they dont have too many established stars but there is huge potential to build some. if they really looked into some of the fighters im sure there would be many intersting stories that emerge etc that would make them much more marketable.

Comment

Originally posted by badnewsbrown View Post
            showtime do get decent ratings but a small investment in some sort of preview for the bigger matches like hopkins-pascal for eg would boost ratings considerably imo and make it a worthwhile investment. i agree they dont have too many established stars but there is huge potential to build some. if they really looked into some of the fighters im sure there would be many intersting stories that emerge etc that would make them much more marketable.
            With the deal they just struck with Top Rank, they're getting a huge boost in their boxing star power. More exposure because of Manny means more exposure for the other Show/CBS boxers and boxing as a whole. If Pacquiao-Mosley does big #s, then we'll be seeing a lot more boxing on CBS I think.

Comment

yes i hope so. this could be BIG for boxing as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by badnewsbrown View Post
                why not use it for preview shows and such to generate interest with the super 6 for example? the 360 show could be moved to cbs? surely this would bring higher ratings...
                because running infomercials is probably more profitable than trying to promote the super six.

think about it. promoting pacquiao is already considered a bold move for cbs.

pacquiao. one of the most well known fighter out there.

they're gonna use pacquiao as a test case. if it turns out well then we might see it change and see cbs do more to promote their showtime fights.

love him or hate him , uncle bob is trying to get boxing some more mainstream coverage.

it started with starting to hold stadium fights again and now trying to get cbs involved in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
                  Good question
                  No it's NOT a good question.

Infomercials get higher ratings than fights NOT involving El Dinero De Vaca, Floyd, or Pac.

Only difference is at least infomercials = profit.

Comment

Unfortunately boxing just isn't that popular in the states. In other countries I bet the 360 series would do amazing on regular television.

Comment

Working...
                    X