No announcement yet.

Tommy Morrison

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    Your comparison to Ali is ridiculous. Barrera too. Bentt was not on the level of Junior Jones. Ali (not in his prime) got up at 3 and stopped Cooper in the next round. Morrison was dropped three times and didn't get out of the first round. Also, twice against a well past prime Carl the truth" Williams, twice against Puriity, twice against a faded Ruddock, had his jaw broken by Joe Hipp of all fighters.

So lets's stop pretending that Morrison "getting caught" by Bentt was some kind of revelation because he got "caught" a lot and many of those opponents were not even top class fighters. Not to mention getting dropped multiple times against Lewis in a fight that wasn't even remotely competitive. I won't even get into the Mercer fight.
    Did I ever say at any time that Tommy had a great chin or even a good one? I just said he was a pretty good heavy but that was primarily based on his power and the way he put punches together. However, he did have some heart, as well. Even when his chin had betrayed him he still always tried to get up to win. And, he had done it on some occasions. Many fighters simply give up after being caught by a good shot. As far as Morrison-Mercer, Tommy was ahead before he got nailed. As far as Lewis-Morrison, it was a bit like Lewis-Tyson. All except Mike took much more punishment...

As far as Ali-Cooper.. Muhammad seemed to be out of it toward the end of the round and many believe Angie cut open the glove to help him out...

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Your comparison to Ali is ridiculous. Barrera too. Bentt was not on the level of Junior Jones. Ali (not in his prime) got up at 3 and stopped Cooper in the next round. Morrison was dropped three times and didn't get out of the first round. Also, twice against a well past prime Carl the truth" Williams, twice against Puriity, twice against a faded Ruddock, had his jaw broken by Joe Hipp of all fighters.

So lets's stop pretending that Morrison "getting caught" by Bentt was some kind of revelation because he got "caught" a lot and many of those opponents were not even top class fighters. Not to mention getting dropped multiple times against Lewis in a fight that wasn't even remotely competitive. I won't even get into the Mercer fight.

The truth. I'll certainly concede that Morrison was a great fighter for TV, very fan friendly. But you can't dress Morrison up as an elite heavyweight contender. All his big wins were over name guys well past their prime. He wouldn't be competitive against the Klitschkos, and former contenders like Jerry Quarry or Eddie Machen would have beaten Morrison handily.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
        Did I ever say at any time that Tommy had a great chin or even a good one? I just said he was a pretty good heavy but that was primarily based on his power and the way he put punches together. However, he did have some heart, as well. Even when his chin had betrayed him he still always tried to get up to win. And, he had done it on some occasions. Many fighters simply give up after being caught by a good shot. As far as Morrison-Mercer, Tommy was ahead before he got nailed. As far as Lewis-Morrison, it was a bit like Lewis-Tyson. All except Mike took much more punishment...

As far as Ali-Cooper.. Muhammad seemed to be out of it toward the end of the round and many believe Angie cut open the glove to help him out...

That's a myth with Ali. The Glove was never "cut" and Ali got maybe 4 extra seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          The truth. I'll certainly concede that Morrison was a great fighter for TV, very fan friendly. But you can't dress Morrison up as an elite heavyweight contender. All his big wins were over name guys well past their prime. He wouldn't be competitive against the Klitschkos, and former contenders like Jerry Quarry or Eddie Machen would have beaten Morrison handily.

That's my belief too. Whether Morrison was fighting today(against the Klitschko's) or in the 60,s or 70's, the result would be the same.

Comment

If you just watch Morrison and you didn't know who he was you'd think to yourself...Man, this guy has some serious skills, then he gets hit square. If Tommy had of had a sturdy chin he in my opinion coulda been very good, but he didn't. I have always thought in his prime that he had a ton of skill. Fast hands, power etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tennesseeboy View Post
              If you just watch Morrison and you didn't know who he was you'd think to yourself...Man, this guy has some serious skills, then he gets hit square. If Tommy had of had a sturdy chin he in my opinion coulda been very good, but he didn't. I have always thought in his prime that he had a ton of skill. Fast hands, power etc.
              A Tommy with a strong chin woulda been perhaps another Marciano?! Well, maybe... Who knows?? I guess the irony is Foreman and Ruddock were perhaps the most notorious punchers of his time other than Tyson.. And he actually defeated both of them.

Comment

A Tommy with a strong chin woulda been perhaps another Marciano?! Well, maybe... Who knows?? I guess the irony is Foreman and Ruddock were perhaps the most notorious punchers of his time other than Tyson.. And he actually defeated both of them.
                Funny how that works, huh? lol Whatever it may be, a lack of good quality training? No chin? Maybe dedication between fights? Maybe a lacking of adjustments during fights? which goes back to training, whatever it may be it just wasn't all there. Still, to me it doesn't take away the fact that he had a huge heart and contrary to what people say did have great talent. He just wasn't able to translate it to elite success for one reason or another.

Comment

The real irony is that Foreman was 43 years old and Ruddock was on his way out. You're trying very hard to make Morrison something he wasn't. I'll give you that. And Morrison needed more than a chin to duplicate Marciano.

Comment

Clay stood up and started slowly towards Angelo Dundee who - in violation of the rules - guided him into the corner. At first Dundee talked and slapped Clay's legs but after a still-dazed Clay misunderstood and tried to get off the stool Dundee used smelling salts in a serious violation of the rules. (British rules did not allow any stimulant but water).[9] Dundee has since claimed to have opened a small tear in one of Clay's gloves and told the referee that his fighter needed a new pair of gloves - taken from Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by mehoe View Post
                      Clay stood up and started slowly towards Angelo Dundee who - in violation of the rules - guided him into the corner. At first Dundee talked and slapped Clay's legs but after a still-dazed Clay misunderstood and tried to get off the stool Dundee used smelling salts in a serious violation of the rules. (British rules did not allow any stimulant but water).[9] Dundee has since claimed to have opened a small tear in one of Clay's gloves and told the referee that his fighter needed a new pair of gloves - taken from Wikipedia

http://youtu.be/Ogxi0r3HLMM

The actual fight is far more accurate and reliable than Wikipedia. Dundee did not "guide" Ali to his corner. He didn't " cut" his gloves or open them, and Ali did not get any signifignt extra time. At the most a few seconds. Go to 7:42 of the video and see for yourself. The only thing about what you posted that's true is he used smelling salts.

Wikipedia is not a reliable source or site. The general public can edit information whether accurate, confirmed, or not.
                      Last edited by joseph5620; 07-02-2012, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X