No announcement yet.

Sergio vs Cotto ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio vs Cotto ?

Will this fight turn out to be our Hagler vs Hearns ?

Sergio is a dominant Lineal MW Champ who hurts people much the way that Hagler did.

Cotto is an established legend at WW who seems to be even better at 154 lbs.

This is eerily similiar to Tommy Hearns before he moved up to MW to challenge Marvelous Marvin at MW.

This is the fight that I am most looking forward to this year,followed closely by Chavez and GGG, and then Vladdy KO vs Arreloa/Stiverne winner.

How good will the fight be and who do ya got?

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post

Sergio is a dominant Lineal MW Champ who hurts people much the way that Hagler did.

This is eerily similiar to Tommy Hearns before he moved up to MW to challenge Marvelous Marvin at MW.

This is the fight that I am most looking forward to this year,followed closely by Chavez and GGG, and then Vladdy KO vs Arreloa/Stiverne winner.

This fight will be epic and KING Cotto will stump all over Martinez' head!

Comment

Huge Cotto fan here but NO!, Hell NO! Sipmly put, NO!

Comment

This statement couldn't be further from the truth. If anything Cotto was a much better fighter at WW which is a reason many people didn't give him a chance at 159.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinamita 03 View Post
          This statement couldn't be further from the truth. If anything Cotto was a much better fighter at WW which is a reason many people didn't give him a chance at 159.
          I thought that Cotto has looked better at 154 than at WW.

He beat Foreman, Margarito, and Rodriguez and looked great in doing so at 154 lbs. He fought really well vs Money May at 154. The only "okay or subpar performance" was vs Trout.

I thought he looked awful at WW vs Clottey and weight drained vs Pacquiao.

Comment

The only similarity I see is that all four men are pro boxers. Hagler was a much better fighter and a 10 times better champion than ducking, dodging Martinez. Hagler defended his title at least 3 or 4 times a year and always against a top 5 world rated middleweight and often his number one rated challenger. If Hagler was the middleweight champion today and had been champion for as long as Martinez he would have already fought all the high rated middleweights Martinez avoided. Hagler would have fought Strum, Pirog, Geal, Quillin and GGG win, lose or draw. No number one challenger had to wait long or chase Hagler, begging for a fight the way GGG has been trying to get Martinez to fight him. Cotto is nothing special at 154 and he recently lost to Trout who is not as good as Lara or Canelo. Hearns was about 6 inches taller than Cotto and better than Cotto in every way. Hearns was much faster and a much better boxer and puncher than Cotto. Hearns might be the best 154 pounder in history and Cotto is not even a champion today at 154. Martinez should beat Cotto and probably by KO and it should be a good fight between two good fighters. Cotto and Martinez just come up way short in my opinion when you compare them to all time greats Hagler and Hearns.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              The only similarity I see is that all four men are pro boxers. Hagler was a much better fighter and a 10 times better champion than ducking, dodging Martinez. Hagler defended his title at least 3 or 4 times a year and always against a top 5 world rated middleweight and often his number one rated challenger. If Hagler was the middleweight champion today and had been champion for as long as Martinez he would have already fought all the high rated middleweights Martinez avoided. Hagler would have fought Strum, Pirog, Geal, Quillin and GGG win, lose or draw. No number one challenger had to wait long or chase Hagler, begging for a fight the way GGG has been trying to get Martinez to fight him. Cotto is nothing special at 154 and he recently lost to Trout who is not as good as Lara or Canelo. Hearns was about 6 inches taller than Cotto and better than Cotto in every way. Hearns was much faster and a much better boxer and puncher than Cotto. Hearns might be the best 154 pounder in history and Cotto is not even a champion today at 154. Martinez should beat Cotto and probably by KO and it should be a good fight between two good fighters. Cotto and Martinez just come up way short in my opinion when you compare them to all time greats Hagler and Hearns.
              Most of the guys you're talking about ducked Martinez in the past. Geale and Quillin both got offers from Martinez in 2011 and both declined. Sturm once said in an interview, "I would have fought Martinez, but nobody knows who he is." If Hagler were around today he would have been ducked into extinction and if he would have suffered the same injuries Martinez did (particularly at that age) he would have either taken a layoff (like Martinez did) or retired.

Hagler's resume is impressive (ATG), but he never defended his title 4 times in a year as you claim (that's a bit unrealistic for any top fighter fighting top opposition) and not always against top 5 ranked contenders. In 1985, 1986, 1987, he only defended his title 1 time each year. Duran, Hearns, Mugabi and Leonard had never fought at 160 before facing Hagler (Leonard was coming off a 3 year retirement). Not all the guys Hagler fought were top contenders, 'Caveman' Lee was completely unranked when he fought Hagler and it was really more of a tune-up type fight. Hagler is one of my favorite fighters of all time by the way.
              Last edited by BafanaBafana; 05-02-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                Sergio is my favorite fighter right now.I was also a huge Hagler fan and his Celtics seats were right below my seats for years at the old Boston Garden. I have met him many times,funny dude.

I am also a huge Cotto fan.

They both have never ducked anyone.

Sergio fought against Paul Williams twice when no one wanted to fight him and against Kelly Pavlik, who was a bad mo-fo.

Pavlik's only other loss was to ATG B-Hop.

Martinez couldn't fight Sturm as Sturm was too busy ducking anyone who had a pulse.

You forget that Sturm ducked GGG for so long for the WBA Title when GGG was mandatory.

Sturm also ducked Pirog. Pirog had surgery and hasn't fought since May of 2012...when he thought that he had a deal to fight...yup...Sturm.

Martinez beat Chavez..who is a beast.He is this generation's John Mugabi.

Quillin is on SHO. Martinez has exclusive with HBO...Do the math there.

I feel bad for Quilin,he has nobody to fight from GBP/SHO at MW that is good.

Geal was offered Martinez and GGG fights...and turned down both !!!

Hagler was best MW of all-time but he had some guys moving up in weight to challenge him, a lot of times that were big names and HUGE fights..ie Hearns.

Comment

Working...
                X