Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beating the fighter who had beaten the man who beat you..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    I recall reading in Hands of Stone that duran collapsed in the shower after a workout before the hearns fight in one of his poor preparation weight reduction sessions. This bout was all hearns but only a insider would have really predicted the result as In the bouts previous Thomas was having issues with his right hand which I believe was broken in the Benitez victory and Duran had just gone the distance with Hagler. Most people tried to beat duran with movement but the Kronk teams game plan was to go right after Duran with confidence that Thomas right was finally healed. Duran was beaten from the start. It goes down as the most one sided fight the Fab 4 had. Hearns has said the punch he hit cuevas was with was the hardest he every threw but the ones he hit duran with in my view where near that quality.
    There was clearly something wrong with Duran in that fight.. And, I love Tommy Hearns and a much bigger fan of his..

Comment

It's the next best thing and shows your greatness in other ways. Sometimes there will be a guy that just has your number, even if it's only on that one night, for that one fight.

Hearns certainly had Duran's that night. But, if Duran couldn't come back and beat Hearns, the next best thing he could do would be to beat the guy that just beat him. He did, so it shows his, and everyone else that does it, greatness in a different way and is the next best thing to rematching and beating them.

It's the best thing they could do, if they either couldn't or didn't, go back and beat the original opponent that beat them.

It would obviously be something like:
      Beat them outright the first time you fight.
      Beat them clearer than they beat you in a rematch or in 2 of 3.
      Beat them in a rematch, any way.
      Beat the guy that just beat them.

After that, there's really nothing else you can do.

Comment

Working...
      X