Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sturm or Ottke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been watching Sturm's and Ottke's careers basically from the beginning on German TV (I am Austrian). So I like to believe I can answer that question pretty good: they are both exactly on the same level and their careers are pretty much the same. So I cannot put anyone above the other. There are at least 4 or 5 Ottke fights which were gift decisions and Sturm in my opinion got also 2 or 3 gift decisions (Macklin for example) but he didn't fight the level of fighters Ottke fought.
    Ottke got gift decisions in his first fight against Charles Brewer, his fight against Robin Reid, Glen Johnson fight, in both Tate fights and maybe one or two more.
    Sturm didn't get as many gift decisions but he was fighting guys who are not on the Glen Johnson or Robin Reid level. (exception: de la Hoya)
    So to sum it up: Ottke got more gift decisions but he fought better fighters than Sturm.
    That being said, they are both decent, good fighters with good skills. Not gonna lie about that. And both had a very defensive, safety first "rely on the paid judges" type of style. Ottke's defense were his high guard and his footwork and Sturm's defense is his high guard alone.
    I enjoyed watching both of them, as strange as it sounds.
    Last edited by raskat; 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

prime for prime, sturm easily...

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
        I have been watching Sturm's and Ottke's careers basically from the beginning on German TV (I am Austrian). So I like to believe I can answer that question pretty good: they are both exactly on the same level and their careers are pretty much the same. So I cannot put anyone above the other. There are at least 4 or 5 Ottke fights which were gift decisions and Sturm in my opinion got also 2 or 3 gift decisions (Macklin for example) but he didn't fight the level of fighters Ottke fought.
        Ottke got gift decisions in his first fight against Charles Brewer, his fight against Robin Reid, Glen Johnson fight, in both Tate fights and maybe one or two more.
        Sturm didn't get as many gift decisions but he was fighting guys who are not on the Glen Johnson or Robin Reid level. (exception: de la Hoya)
        So to sum it up: Ottke got more gift decisions but he fought better fighters than Sturm.
        That being said, they are both decent, good fighters with good skills. Not gonna lie about that. And both had a very defensive, safety first "rely on the paid judges" type of style. Ottke's defense were his high guard and his footwork and Sturm's defense is his high guard alone.
        I enjoyed watching both of them, as strange as it sounds.

I enjoyed watching Sturm and didn't think he was boring at all. Can't say the same for Ottke though.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          He was a defensive master, but of the most dull kind. He had no pop so there was never a chance of a satisfying KO. Lord knows how many saturday nights I wasted watching his fights hoping to see his ugly mug on the canvas.
          As a New Zealander, I can safely say he managed one, VERY satisfying KO

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
            Ottke never wanted any part of Calzaghe anywhere.
            tbf, it was largely Calzaghe's title that Ottke didnt want, it being the up till then largely worthless WBO title. If Joe had held a major title then it might have gone ahead.

But yeah I am sure Ottke wouldnt fight Joe outside a rigged german fight box, as is his habit. Not something Calzaghe was immune to doing himself with his pointless string of welsh ref stoppages.

Comment

Ottke was pretty skilled, but one of the most un watchable fighters ever. I prefer Sturm just because i like him more as a fighter.

Then again Ottke KOd Mundine haha

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                I enjoyed watching Sturm and didn't think he was boring at all. Can't say the same for Ottke though.
                Same, Sturm at his best was pretty good.

Comment

At least Svett knocked mudine out lmao

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Ottke by a good margin. He was actually quite good even though his style didn't translate perfectly to the pro ranks.

He's one of the (deservedly) most shamed fighters though for the constant homecooking he was rewarded.

Comment

Sturm for me. A very solid MW resume, more skilled and makes for better viewing.

Comment

Working...
                      X